Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Broken FS - Is there any hope?
07-31-2015, 06:37 AM
RE: Broken FS - Is there any hope?
(07-30-2015 07:24 PM)johndotcom83 Wrote:  trying to connect with putty and I'm not getting anything, I do not have the VCC plugged in
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F167...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F167PWE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpa

this is the cable I bought to connect to it, not getting anything on either port

This looks like a proper adapter. The question is whether it is supported by your Windows version. Does a new COM port appear when you plug it it? If so, what is its number? Does putty allow you to connect to that port?

After that, make sure you have it connected properly? Are the RX and TX wires in the right place? Try to switch them, does it work then? As long as you are not plugging VCC anywhere the chances of breaking something are pretty low.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2015, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 12:58 PM by johndotcom83.)
yep shows up correctly and working in windows, com3 115200 baud

putty appears to connect without error

I have tried switching the tx and rx to no avail also

I will try it with a different computer sometime later to see if it it helps any
07-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Did you press <Enter> a couple of times? By default the console is not outputting much. If it is working you should see a prompt.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
(12-16-2014 03:36 PM)Pyrohmstr Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 03:46 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Please let us know if this works, or if you need any further help.

I quoted you so it alerts you of the reply... does this forum do that? I have no idea Smile

Anyway... I unbricked it. Here's what I found:

J4 and J5 in that picture are the serial consoles. They are VRTG with Ground closest to the LEDs (good call on that one). They run at 115200 baud. J4 is the vxWorks and J5 is the Linux.

They run at 3.3v so I used a ttl-serial converter.

When I ran it I saw a few error messages saying there was no space left on the device so various logs couldn't be created and some scripts couldn't run.

Specifically I saw a few errors of not finding the size of /var/log/nasd.log especially when trying to restart it.

Deleted the file with rm /var/log/nasd.log, restarted the device, and suddenly everything works. Shows up in dashboard and everything. I haven't put a new set of drives in yet, but I'll overnight some and try it tomorrow.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I've followed the advice on this thread and managed to unbrick my DroboFS !!!

some points that might help other people (they are already in the thred but maybe need some emphasis):
1. The rx on the drobo linux serial are the tx of the cable (at least for me).
2. Before you tear your hair out when you can't see anything on the terminal (I used gtkterm on Linux) take a look at "dmesg" and verify that the recognized /dev/ttyXXXXX is the one you're trying to read...

Good luck to all and thank you again,

Dror
08-11-2015, 06:56 PM
where is the "Like" button?
08-12-2015, 05:49 AM
(12-16-2014 03:36 PM)Pyrohmstr Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 03:46 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Please let us know if this works, or if you need any further help.

I quoted you so it alerts you of the reply... does this forum do that? I have no idea Smile

Anyway... I unbricked it. Here's what I found:

J4 and J5 in that picture are the serial consoles. They are VRTG with Ground closest to the LEDs (good call on that one). They run at 115200 baud. J4 is the vxWorks and J5 is the Linux.

They run at 3.3v so I used a ttl-serial converter.

When I ran it I saw a few error messages saying there was no space left on the device so various logs couldn't be created and some scripts couldn't run.

Specifically I saw a few errors of not finding the size of /var/log/nasd.log especially when trying to restart it.

Deleted the file with rm /var/log/nasd.log, restarted the device, and suddenly everything works. Shows up in dashboard and everything. I haven't put a new set of drives in yet, but I'll overnight some and try it tomorrow.

Is there anyway I could get you to write up a tutorial or 'how-to' on this?
08-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Thumbs Up RE: Broken FS - Is there any hope?
His solution does indeed work. My DroboFS is unbricked and now alive on my network.
08-24-2015, 11:58 AM
thats interesting..
maybe the /var/log/nasd.log somehow lost permissions and another process or logic rule required it, causing it to hang?
if so, it might be a repeatable fix?

(just tagging this "unbrick" for future searches)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-10-2015, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 05:29 PM by nutty.)
Could use some help
I'm connected, and can see the text, but can't type.
Nevermind got it.

So the combo was Black, White, Green, starting with black at the back of the machine towards the fans.
Leaving the red off the front pin, don't connect that at all.
In the Device manager you have to change the "Bits per seconds" on the Ports settings to 115200
for your USB to Serial. Change "Flow Control" to None on that same tab.
Can check the COM to see which one it's on while there.

Open up putty and select Serial.
Enter your which COM it is on, from what you found in the device manager.
Change the speed to 115200
Turn on the drobo and you should see text as it's starting up.
12-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Also, I found /var/log/nasd.log
to be helpful in finding my issue.