Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
07-15-2015, 10:39 PM
RE: Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
You can try early-boot SSH, to look at what is happening to your diskpack. That is a very dangerous thing to do, though. I suggest it only as a last resort.

Instructions are here: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=141627&pid=179916

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2015, 08:45 PM
(07-15-2015 07:05 PM)ngreisman@gmail.com Wrote:  Nothing guys? Thanks for all of the suggestions, appreciate the effort/time.

Might be time for a new NAS [but probably not a Drobo].

Hi. I know this is from a while ago, but I'm having the same problem you described. Were you able to find a solution eventually?
11-07-2015, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 10:59 PM by ngreisman@gmail.com.)
(11-07-2015 08:45 PM)howardthu@outlook.com Wrote:  
(07-15-2015 07:05 PM)ngreisman@gmail.com Wrote:  Nothing guys? Thanks for all of the suggestions, appreciate the effort/time.

Might be time for a new NAS [but probably not a Drobo].

Hi. I know this is from a while ago, but I'm having the same problem you described. Were you able to find a solution eventually?

I'm afraid not. Bought a Synology and was able to get almost all of the data off by either using winscp or mounting the drive in Windows 7 (read only was the best I could do). There were a lot of corrupted files but fortunately, most of them were eventually replaceable.

Problem was definitely corrupted Drobo control files. Drobo is now a paper weight (anyone want to buy a used Drobo FS?).

Good luck.

Neil
08-26-2016, 12:38 PM
its been a long time since there was a reply to this thread so Im gonna come here with my problem, I too get that response in dashboard, "drobo is in the final stages of starting up.

problem started when i was trying to install some app that required Apache, that install failed, so i thought i could just remove the Apache folder from DroboApps share, did that, restarted the droboFS, and lo and behold, it boots up, i the shares mount on my windows computer, but suddenly i am asked for username and password for my droboapps share, and in dashboard i get that dreaded in the final stages..
now i cant control my drobo from dashboard, cant upgrade firmware, can't install more apps, or edit the config files for the apps,
or app really, as the only app that actually starts is Transmission, but lately Transmission has started to give me troubles so i want to be able to access the config files for it.

ive tried everything here in this thread, shut down the box. removed drives, flashed new firmware, reentered the drives, started up, same story, in windows asks for user/pass for DroboApps folder, but Public Folder is fine, and still that is in the final stages message in Dashboard.. any pointers you guys can give me?

ps. sorry if my post is out of context, poorly set up or my english is not perfect. English is my third language so yeah Big Grin
01-26-2017, 10:05 PM
I have this same problem, cannot access shares, any control from software such as shutting down is not working. Only function working is light flash test, others are grayed out. I tried installing software on another computer with same problem.
01-27-2017, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 02:30 PM by Paul.)
hi darrylg can you see any other lights on your drobo, like on the drive bays (on the main unit as well as in dashboard?)
if so, can i check what are they doing or showing?
btw kizi did you manage to get things working again or are you still having that issue?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-28-2017, 10:37 PM
All the lights are on as normal, green for all drives.

I pulled all the drives and did a pinhole startup. Installed a new version of dashboard and it worked fine. plugged the drives back in and it is back to previous status. Pinhole startup with drives in does not fix the problem.
01-30-2017, 07:27 PM
thanks for the info darrylg
please be careful with pinhole resets.... especially if drives are inside as am pretty sure that can wipe drives.

the interesting thing is that in your case, if the drobo can be found by dashboard (when it is empty, and after a pinhole reset), im wondering why the drobo did not actually complete the startup (especially when you mentioned that you also did a pinhole with drives inside)....

that make me think that there is something wrong with the drobo (though it was found by dashboard when empty)
or,
something about the drives that the drobo bootup sequence does not like (and this fact 'may' have actually helped to prevent your pinhole reset actually wiping drive data when you had your diskpack drives insisde, if i understood correctly)

(in case your drobo still has your original diskpack drives inside it, and in general, please note that diskpack drives should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety, and only when power is all off and cables unplugged)

if your drobo is currently empty, and if possible, do you happen to have a couple of spare / different / blank / or un-needed drives, that you could try making a separeae diskpack with? for example, im wondering what would happen if you had the drobo connected directly to a computer, empty, and recognised as empty by dashboard, and then if you put one of those spare blank drives into it, does the drobo recognise it shortly after, and solid green, and then if you put the 2nd spare blank drive into it, does it also recognise that shortly afterwards, ,and all solid green? does it let you setup a fresh volume to use as normal again in this way?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
I do not have any spare drives (yet). But I am curious if connecting it with USB cable would enable use without the dashboard software. The other "wonder" is if the dashboard software and network interface card is where the problem is. The DROBO may be working fine, but the error message implies that there may be a problem between the two.
02-01-2017, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 06:51 PM by Paul.)
ah when you do manage to get some spares, it is probably worth trying, though one way to test the dashboard software side of things, could be to see if you have another friend with a drobo (or another drobo that works, and then if that dashboard can work fine and communicate with the working drobo, then that dashboard version could be a good test to use on your system - just as long as it isnt too old as some bugs can usually get fixed between versions)

- also, the same cable that is used (of similar model) could also be a good cable to use for your drobo fs as well.

if the drobo does seem to work fine though, when using at least 2 of the spare drives (in a fresh new separate diskpack) then that would most probably indicate that something is having some errors with your current (original diskpack)

(there might be some ways forward in that case though but please let us know how things go regarding the spares darrylg)