Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
07-07-2015, 11:47 PM
RE: Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
After reading all the posts in this thread, here's my view on this issue:

1) The firmware did not fully complete its boot up sequence
- Hence, Dashboard showing "Final stage boot up, please wait..."
- DroboFS server not appearing in Windows Networking

2) As mentioned, you are able to WinSCP into the FS and see all the orig shares and data under /mnt/DroboFS/Shares
- This means the firmware was able to mount /mnt/DroboFS/ internally
- Since /mnt/DroboFS was mounted therefore all the DroboApps that were installed are able to run.. this explains that you can SSH or WinSCP

3) I have this feeling... that some services are having problem starting up and this is why the message from the Dashboard..
Maybe SMB and AFP services are not able to start, that is why in Windows ... you don't see the FS and not able to mount the Shares ..

Copying out all the data using WinSCP to some external storage and then perform a PIN-HOLE reset to wipe out the DroboFS is an option. After reset, you can re-setup the FS and copy back all the data. BUT for this, you need external storage that is big enough to hold the existing data in FS. Sad

Another suggestion (but I not sure if it will resolve the issue...)

- Go to Drobo web site and manually download the FS Firmware (FS - V1.2.6)
http://www.drobo.com/drobo-downloads-2/

- Power OFF the DroboFS and remove all the drives.
- Power up the empty DroboFS and wait for Dashboard to detect it...
- Manually re-flash the DroboFS firmware from the download using the Dashboard.. reboot after firmware updated.

- Once the DroboFS rebooted, power it OFF.
- Make sure DroboFS is powered OFF, insert all the drives back into FS.
- Power it ON with all the drives...

Check if this time, DroboFS completes its boot. And you are able to see Dashboard detect the unit. Windows able to see the DroboFS in Windows Networking. and you can mount and access all the Shares in Windows...

Good luck.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
As Don mentions, try reflashing the firmware without drives installed. Please follow instructions outlined by Don. Also, as Ricardo mentions I would suggest you backup your data and copy off.

(12-01-2014 07:12 PM)alanandcorin Wrote:  Drobo FS shares didn't appear so I rebooted Drobo. Here's the symptoms:

1. Can connect using Dashboard but can't do much - says it's in the final stage of starting up. It's been like this for hours!

2. All the LEDs are green on the side. Everything appears to be working.

3. No shares on any of my other computers.

4. Tried to SSH into it but the connection is refused.

5. Was running firmware 1.2.6, so I powered down, pulled out all the drives, started back up and reloaded 1.2.6. That didn't help. The drives are back in, LEDs are green but no change.

6. I was running DroboApps, with the latest crashplan.

Not sure what to do now? I can't get into the box or disable DroboApps cause Dashboard doesn't allow me to log in.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
07-08-2015, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 11:38 PM by ngreisman@gmail.com.)
(07-08-2015 10:20 AM)DroboMod Wrote:  As Don mentions, try reflashing the firmware without drives installed. Please follow instructions outlined by Don. Also, as Ricardo mentions I would suggest you backup your data and copy off.

Firmware at 1.2.6 on FS, website has 1.2.5 but can't manually update anyways as that options is not available [grayed out] on dashboard.

Note: can "map network drive" on win7 but in read-only mode.
07-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Not sure why you said the website DroboFS firmware is at v1.2.5?

Here's the direct link from the same url previously posted. Is at v1.2.6.
http://drobo.com/updates/firmware/DroboF...http://drobo.com/updates/firmware/DroboFS-firmware

Download it onto your desktop... and to manually able to update it using the Dashboard. You will need to login to the Drobo Dashboard as the Drobo Admin..

There should be a blue "Admin" link on the Dashboard for you to login as the Admin. Since you have login, the "Tools" option will be active. "Tools" > "Software Updates" > Manual Update..

But from your last post, "Can map network drive" say Z: drive... but it only read-only. Seems like the DroboFS has somehow completed the booting?? Dashboard no longer showing "Final stage.. please wait.."??

If this is so, did you map the network drive with the correct credential user?? If the mapped drive if login as a user with no write permission.. then that mapped drive will only be "read-only". You can check all the user permission assigned to each Shares in FS under the Dashboard > "Shares" section
07-09-2015, 06:20 AM
(07-09-2015 12:44 AM)don Wrote:  ...Here's the direct link from the same url previously posted. Is at v1.2.6.
http://drobo.com/updates/firmware/DroboF...http://drobo.com/updates/firmware/DroboFS-firmware

Thanks
(07-09-2015 12:44 AM)don Wrote:  Download it onto your desktop... and to manually able to update,,,
There should be a blue "Admin" link on the Dashboard for you to login as the Admin. Since you have login, the "Tools" option will be active. "Tools" > "Software Updates" > Manual Update.. ... longer showing "Final stage.. please wait.."??

No admin link to enter userid. Dashboard still stays "... please wait". "Manual Update" is still grayed out therefore cannot do manual update.

(07-09-2015 12:44 AM)don Wrote:  If this is so, did you map the network drive with the correct credential user?? If the mapped drive if login as a user with no write permission.. then that mapped drive will only be "read-only". You can check all the user permission assigned to each Shares in FS under the Dashboard > "Shares" section

Mapped FS to drive letter using correct Drobo userid/password results in a read-only drive. I can sign onto FS using SSH and have full RW access from there.
07-09-2015, 08:06 PM
What will happen if...
  1. power off FS using switch on back
  2. remove all drives (keep them in order)
  3. do a hard reset
  4. power on FS
  5. create userid or whatever required with factory reset
  6. try and do manual update of firmware (it is already at 1.2.6 but will do manual update anyways)
  7. power off once done update
  8. insert all drives in order
  9. restart

Will my drives show up with data as before?

Thanks
07-09-2015, 09:41 PM
That looks ok, I'd just do one more reboot before putting the drives back in. That is:

(...)
7.1. power on without drives, make sure everything is still ok.
7.2. power off again (it is better to do it from the Dashboard).
9. power on again

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
07-10-2015, 06:29 AM
(07-09-2015 09:41 PM)ricardo Wrote:  That looks ok, I'd just do one more reboot before putting the drives back in. That is:

(...)
9. power on again

Just got some portable HDDs to copy all data. Will report back when copy is done and the process is followed. Thanks for the help.
07-13-2015, 12:22 PM
(07-10-2015 06:29 AM)ngreisman@gmail.com Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 09:41 PM)ricardo Wrote:  That looks ok, I'd just do one more reboot before putting the drives back in. That is:

(...)
9. power on again

Just got some portable HDDs to copy all data. Will report back when copy is done and the process is followed. Thanks for the help.

Hello All,

Not sure if my FS is just slow but best d/w speed I could get was between 9MB/s and 33 MB/s (the limitation was not the receiving HDD). Took a long time to copy.

After completing all of the steps above, nothing changed but I did make one observation that might be helpful.

After re-setting FS as above, I put only one drive in the first bay (not part of the original backup set) and went through the procedure for a new setup/set-of-disks. Everything worked fine with the 1 drive (ie. created new userid, could mount and share all, etc.). I also used the Drobo Dashboard reset button on new set but I don't remember when in the procedure I did it.

This was a test to see if there was code residing on my current/not-working-properly 5 HDD set might be causing the problem(s). It appears so but I have no idea how to fix.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,

Neil
07-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Nothing guys? Thanks for all of the suggestions, appreciate the effort/time.

Might be time for a new NAS [but probably not a Drobo].