Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
07-01-2015, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 05:36 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo stuck in the final stage of starting up.
thanks for the screens,
(sorry to the original poster didnto mean to takeover your thread i forgot to ask dak to make a new thread but since its here...)

hi dak, from your screens, it looks like you have SDR (protection against 1 drive failure) does this sound correct?
im just thinking out loud here, about the idea of powering off the drobo, and while power is off to remove the yellow 3tb drive, and to then power on again to try to force a rebuild, but can i check if you have any backups of important data beforehand?
(Important - these are just questions... please dont do anything just yet)...

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 01:46 AM by Dakalgoiti.)
(07-01-2015 05:34 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the screens,
(sorry to the original poster didnto mean to takeover your thread i forgot to ask dak to make a new thread but since its here...)

hi dak, from your screens, it looks like you have SDR (protection against 1 drive failure) does this sound correct?
im just thinking out loud here, about the idea of powering off the drobo, and while power is off to remove the yellow 3tb drive, and to then power on again to try to force a rebuild, but can i check if you have any backups of important data beforehand?
(Important - these are just questions... please dont do anything just yet)...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your time. I will try to do like you say, but before, want to know if this will erase my hdd's?. I have a lot of things (13tb more or less) and haven't got the possibility to move another device.
Another question is, if i turn off the Drobo, take off the hdd's, turn on again and plug in on hot the hdd's, what will happen in this case?

Thx.
07-02-2015, 06:41 PM
hi,
well, the way im seeing things, under normal cirumstances the SDR protection protects you from 1 drive failure.
so in the case of a drive failing, id imagine 2 main ways for this.

1a) where the drive fails at the point of the drobo being switched off (and noticed when the drobo is next switched onn)
1b) where the drive fails at the point of the drobo being switched on (which is also noticed when the drobo is switched on)
&
2) where the drobo is in use, with working drives, but then a drive fails. (which is noticed during running use of the drobo)

(there might be a few variations inbetween stages of failing, or during a rebuild etc but i think of those 2 mainly)

one way to simulate a drive failure, is to boot up all the way, (discharge any static from yourself etc) and to then eject a drive. after several seconds id imagine it going into rebuild mode. (there have been some reports that if the same drive is pushed back in again, that the array recognises it as being part of the disk pack, but it might just blank it and then re-assimilate it into the pack, via a rebuild.

however, as your drobo does not seem to be booting up all the way (at least from dashboards point of view), and if your shares are not mounting and no data is available, then im thinking maybe a removal of that 3tb drive while power is off, and then a bootup, might get it past its stuck point. (however, if your drobo didnt have much free space, it might not rebuild with sdr again). If it didnt rebuild, then the drive that we took out, should still be part of the disk pack (as i believe a rebuild re-defines the pack) but we'd have to see what happens before trying the other 3tb to avoid getting the "too many drives removed message".

Please dont Hot plug the drives as for yoru last question because im pretty sure that you will wipe your data that way Smile
i think lets wait to see what some other users think, as its always good to get a second opinion, and in case i made a mistake as havent had enough coffee at this hour yet Big Grin

hang in there buddy and hopefully a solution can be found for you

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
07-03-2015, 08:27 PM
The good news is that since you do see the Drobo without any disks, then the odds of rescuing it are very good. The bad news is that it requires quite a bit of tinkering.

Just a few things first: DO NOT, under any circumstance, add the drives one by one with the FS turned on. This is a guaranteed way to delete everything. Second, do not try to force a repair. If you do, in fact, have a defective drive, you'd be playing russian roulette with your data because you could pull a good drive out and leave the defective for the rebuild. As you can imagine, this kills the data.

My opinion is that the FS found a filesystem error and is trying to correct it. Since you have 11.5TB worth of data in there, it will take a loooong while. It is very simple to see if this is the case. Do you hear any disk activity from the Drobo? Can you feel the disks' activity when you place your hand on it? If so, it is very likely that a filesystem repair is in progress (a.k.a. fsck).

As I mentioned above, the only sure way to confirm this (and to eventually recover your data if not) requires quite a bit of tinkering. We (end users) now know that the FS has a serial port on its motherboard that gives access to a console with full root access very early in the boot process. From that root console you can do anything, including export the whole Drobo diskpack as a raw block device for other machines to repair.

If you manage to get a TTL to USB converter (very easy to find, it is the same that Arduino enthusiasts use all the time, and it costs about USD 5 on ebay), and are not afraid of disassembling the Drobo FS, we can get your Drobo up and running in (almost) no time.

This will be pretty difficult if you've never done any kind of tinkering, but if you ever assembled a PC you are more than qualified. If you feel this is above what you are comfortable with, then just give it some time. It'll probably take a few days, but it is very likely that it will come up again.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
07-05-2015, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:04 AM by ngreisman@gmail.com.)
(07-03-2015 08:27 PM)ricardo Wrote:  The good news is that since you do see the Drobo without any disks, then the odds of rescuing it are very good. The bad news is that it requires quite a bit of tinkering...

Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same problem that just started a few hours ago. I was trying [unsuccessfully] to get crashplan working again and restarted FS [crasgokab has been out of commission for almost 9 months]. I also installed perl5. Have since removed both and restarted DroboFS multiple times. Will now take your advice and let it go for a while [I can feel the discs spinning/heads writing].

The DroboFS hasn't been rebooted for a few weeks so not sure when the problem may have started [or if they are related to new install of crashplan or perl5] but it has been working fine.

I have not taken out any of the drives fearing that it will erase.

Please keep us updated with any other information.

Thanks,

Neil
07-07-2015, 06:33 AM
(07-05-2015 03:07 PM)ngreisman@gmail.com Wrote:  Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same problem that just started a few hours ago. I was trying [unsuccessfully] to get crashplan working again and restarted FS [crasgokab has been out of commission for almost 9 months]. I also installed perl5. Have since removed both and restarted DroboFS multiple times. Will now take your advice and let it go for a while [I can feel the discs spinning/heads writing].

This is not good ... over 36 hours and DroboFS is still reporting "Your Drobo ... final stages of booting up ...".

There are 4 x 3 TB and 1 x 2 TB drives. Total used = 6.23 TB. If it is rebuilding/fixing something ... should it be taking this long?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [not freaking out quite yet but getting there].

Thanks,

Neil
07-07-2015, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 08:29 AM by ngreisman@gmail.com.)
(07-07-2015 06:33 AM)ngreisman@gmail.com Wrote:  This is not good ... over 36 hours and DroboFS is still reporting "Your Drobo ... final stages of booting up ...".

Some good news. Using WinSCP, I have successfully copied some random files off of DroboFS. DroboFS folder structure and files appear to be intact. I must have pooched something w.r.t. connecting externally when trying to get crashplan working.

I have 2 Win7 machines accessing the FS and they both get the same '... final stage...' message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil
07-07-2015, 03:30 PM
thanks ricardo for your post, (dak please see if you can progress those ideas with ricardo for the recovery)

hi neil, if you can see all your data via winscp, i think you might as well copy and paste (and verify) the data somewhere else before you try to fully fix the bootup issue, just in case.

07-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Do you have minidlna installed, by any chance? I've seen some reports of minidlna causing that message.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Too much data to copy unless I buy something else.

minidlna is not installed.