Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Win8.1 and 5D Thunderbolt
04-07-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: Win8.1 and 5D Thunderbolt
(04-07-2015 07:15 AM)rcutanda Wrote:  Their anwser...

"I am sorry but we sadly don't have any updates by the developer team regarding this subject."

That's a pretty pathetic answer from Drobo, like they're helpless somehow.
At any rate, Windows 8.1 and version 10 will be similar enough for them to develop a driver, that shouldn't be a problem. Plus, I think everyone on 8.1 will be allowed to upgrade to version 10 anyway. Either way, it's discouraging and perplexing that they won't make this a bigger priority.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
what would thunderbolt give you that USB 3 wont?

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
04-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Speed. 10Gb/s versus USB 3.0 at 5Gp/s. And if it is Thunderbolt 2, which is what I have, you can double that again to 20Gb/s.
05-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Yeah, exactly. I was hoping to be able to use my Drobo as a media drive, but at USB 3.0 speeds, it's only capable of acting as a backup drive. I assumed it wouldn't take them years to come up with a driver, but rather, maybe a few months maximum. Gotta admit, as much as I love the simplicity of this product, it just isn't delivering what it ought to be able to deliver.
05-25-2015, 05:00 PM
can you explain your issue please?

"media drive"

So since USB 3 can stream ten blu-rays simultaneously.. what are you doing that needs to be twice that fast?

(incidentally Drobo itself isnt fast enough to saturate USB 3, so whether you plug it in via thunderbolt or USB 3 makes no difference whatsoever!!! the "slow" thing will always be the Drobo)

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
05-25-2015, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 05:25 PM by rcutanda.)
(04-07-2015 01:30 PM)Docchris Wrote:  what would thunderbolt give you that USB 3 wont?

I have a Mac Pro 2013. It only offers four USB 3 ports and they all share a single PCIe 2.0 lane. It is true that ONE single device, such as the Drobo, will not make use of all that bandwith. But things change when you connect more devices and you copy to/from different drives connected to the same USB 3 bus. Remember: you will be sharing the bandwith and transfering files between the Drobo 5D and SSD drives can use up all the available bandwith.

On the other hand I have 6 Thunderbolt ports that have 3 different buses available. If I could use the Drobo Thunderbolt connection to transfer files to and from other USB 3 devices the process would be much faster AND would also free one USB port which, in the case of the Mac Pro 2013, is as much as freeing a 25% of the available USB ports :-)
07-04-2015, 11:32 PM
(05-25-2015 05:00 PM)Docchris Wrote:  can you explain your issue please?

"media drive"

So since USB 3 can stream ten blu-rays simultaneously.. what are you doing that needs to be twice that fast?

(incidentally Drobo itself isnt fast enough to saturate USB 3, so whether you plug it in via thunderbolt or USB 3 makes no difference whatsoever!!! the "slow" thing will always be the Drobo)

Well, if the Drobo is slow, then it was a bad choice for a media drive to begin with, that's on me.

But to answer your question, Blurays are super compressed, I was hoping to be able to edit 4444 1080p files, or hopefully RAW 4K files, as well as get real time playback of RAW files inside of DaVinci or Media Composer or even Premiere.

Obviously that's not realistic, but I had hoped that the magic of Thunderbolt would get me internal RAID speeds.
07-05-2015, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 03:01 AM by Docchris.)
(07-04-2015 11:32 PM)chebroadnax Wrote:  but I had hoped that the magic of Thunderbolt would get me internal RAID speeds.

unfortunately see my earlier post

(05-25-2015 05:00 PM)Docchris Wrote:  Drobo itself isnt fast enough to saturate USB 3, so whether you plug it in via thunderbolt or USB 3 makes no difference whatsoever!!! the "slow" thing will always be the Drobo.

The 5D should still be plenty fast enough for what you are trying to do;

the problem that might be causing you issues....

if you are talking about "editing"

does that mean opening a large video file on drobo... changing it in someway (either the format/compression/ or even just editing...) and then re-saving it onto that same Drobo.. which may take a while, obviously....

if so then that is unfortunately your problem. my 5D could easily sustain 100MB/sec read OR write, which from looking up the specs of the video formats you mentioned, should be plenty fast enough.

Sadly what Drobos have always sucked as it simultaneously read AND write - which is what would be happening if you were saving or changing a file already on drobo... and that totally kills performance

07-06-2015, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 01:33 PM by Paul.)
hi maybe as a test you could try having the original on the drobo, and load from there, but when you save or export an edit, you output it to your computers drive as a test? if things go smoothly for you then you can always copy and paste the outputs back to drobo somewhere, after you finish your main edits etc.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Just thought I'd add to the conversation that Drobo has stopped working on the Windows driver, this was the response I got today:

"Thank you for contacting support. I apologize, but there is no Thunderbolt driver currently available. I do not know if there is one in the works.

I will forward this on as a feature request."

Going to be returning my 5d and going with a product that actually keeps up with the times.