Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Win8.1 and 5D Thunderbolt
11-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Win8.1 and 5D Thunderbolt
Will there be a way to read a 5D via Thunderbolt in Windows 8.1, i.e. with a firmware upgrade or is it a hardware thing?

Can't keep switching cables every time one switch OS.

Drobe 2:nd gen, Drobo 5N & Drobo 5D
English is a funny language, seldom it spells the words like I do.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 06:25 AM by Docchris.)
RE: Win8.1 and 5D Thunderbolt
I don't really understand the question

What computer are you currently using? Does it have thunderbolt ports? What happens at the moment if you plug the thunderbolt cable into your windows machine?

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
11-04-2014, 09:24 AM
(11-04-2014 06:25 AM)Docchris Wrote:  I don't really understand the question

What computer are you currently using? Does it have thunderbolt ports? What happens at the moment if you plug the thunderbolt cable into your windows machine?

I have a Mac Pro (late 2013) and running Yosemite and Windows 8.1 on it.
Yosemite see the 5D and so does Win8.1 when running in Boot Camp under Parallels Desktop, but not when starting up as a windows only computer.
Yes ofc I have Thunderbolt ports else the whole question would be silly don't you think :-)
Nothing happens when I take away or plug in the Thunderbolt cable in Windows only setup.
Thing is that Windows 8.1 finds all my other Thunderbolt devices including other drives but the 5D.

11-04-2014, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 10:31 PM by DSLAM.)
I'm also waiting for Drobo to offer Thunderbolt support for Windows as I mentioned in this thread: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
I've got an Asus motherboard with Thunderbolt 2 ready and waiting but the problem is that Drobo doesnt support Thunderbolt on the PC. It's almost the year 2015 now and it's getting sort of ridiculous that they can't seem to muster the energy to provide a driver for Thunderbolt on the Windows platform, only the most popular operating system in the whole world...
11-04-2014, 09:36 AM
(11-04-2014 09:32 AM)DSLAM Wrote:  I'm also waiting for Drobo to offer Thunderbolt support for Windows as I mentioned in this thread: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?
I've got an Asus motherboard with Thunderbolt 2 ready and waiting but the problem is that Drobo doesnt support Thunderbolt on the PC. It's almost the year 2015 now and it's getting sort of ridiculous that they can't seem to muster the energy to provide a driver for Thunderbolt on the Windows platform, only the most popular operating system in the whole world...

Glad it wasn't only me then.
I agree fully with you.

11-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I see; apologies for my ignorance (i was mainly asking out of curiosity - both to know what the issue is - and wondering if you have one of the every few windows thunderbolt machines.)

i would have expected it to just work like USB drives drive - simply appearing with a default windows mass storage driver; im surpirsed it needs a drobo specific driver to work!

learn something new everyday

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
11-04-2014, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 10:14 AM by Cekari.)
(11-04-2014 09:42 AM)Docchris Wrote:  I see; apologies for my ignorance (i was mainly asking out of curiosity - both to know what the issue is - and wondering if you have one of the every few windows thunderbolt machines.)

i would have expected it to just work like USB drives drive - simply appearing with a default windows mass storage driver; im surpirsed it needs a drobo specific driver to work!

learn something new everyday

No need to apologie :-)

Yes, I expected that it would work as any plug-in device as you, but not with the 5D.
Tho, it works with the USB 3 cable, but I need the extra speed Thunderbolt provides.

Will not even work on dedicated Windows puter as DSLAM pointed out.
Also found this thread about the whole matter: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php

11-06-2014, 02:32 AM
I got this from support yesterday "thank you for contacting Support. Yes you are correct. it is time. I only can tell you that our developer are still working on this. Up to now I can't tell you when it will be supported."

Little slow or unsuspected difficulties?
Way over a year now. Really hope that either they or Microsoft will solve this. MS haven't even bother to answer my Q. yet Undecided

11-06-2014, 08:31 AM
(11-06-2014 02:32 AM)Cekari Wrote:  I got this from support yesterday "thank you for contacting Support. Yes you are correct. it is time. I only can tell you that our developer are still working on this. Up to now I can't tell you when it will be supported."

Little slow or unsuspected difficulties?
Way over a year now. Really hope that either they or Microsoft will solve this. MS haven't even bother to answer my Q. yet Undecided

Interesting, thanks for the update. Well at least we know they are supposedly trying to get it out, that's something.
04-07-2015, 07:15 AM
My question...

Quote:Hello,

Apple released the first Thunderbolt-enabled Macbook Pros on February the 24th 2011. That is as far as 4 years ago. I would not consider a four year-old technology to be in a "very early developmental phase" as you state in the following knowledge base article:

https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01444

I really think Drobo customers deserve Thunderbolt compatibility in Windows. Seriously. A timeframe of four years should have been more than enough time to do so.

Thanks for taking my words into consideration.

Kindest regards,

Their anwser...

Quote:I am sorry but we sadly don't have any updates by the developer team regarding this subject.

That was EXACTLY one month ago. So I woudl not seriosly consider the Drobo 5D ever being compatible with Windows 8.1. Specially now hat Windows 10 is around the corner. Should Drobo made any effort to make the 5D windows-compatible it will surely be for Windows 10.

Bests,