Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Removal order of drives in Gen 2
10-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Removal order of drives in Gen 2
I have a Gen 2 Drobo with drive capacities in the following positions, top to bottom:

2T (green)
1T (yellow)
3T (green)
3T (green)

I'm also getting the notification that space is getting low, at 10% free. A 4T drive is on standby to swap in.

Normally, the yellow light appears next to the drive that should be replaced. Interestingly, for several drive changes, this light has been in the #2 position even though that wasn't the smallest drive.

Due to a mild touch of OCD, after including the 4T drive I want them positioned as follows:

2T
3T
3T
4T

I know the quicker and simplest way would be to just swap the 4T with the 1T giving me:

2T
4T
3T
3T

but this just so wrong and flys in the face of OCDness. Can I:

1) Swap the 4T for the bottom 3T; let Drobo format and protect
2) Swap the removed 3T for the 1T; let Drobo format and protect
3) Bob's your uncle and OCD is held at bay

In theory, the original 2-1-3-3 order should allow any one drive to be replaced should it fail, correct? So it follows that my swap order should be fine as long as I obey the lights. But am I correct?

I realize there won't be any additional storage until the last swap- 4T for the 1T.

Thank you for your assistance. Please don't judge me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 01:54 PM
RE: Removal order of drives in Gen 2
I initially started preaching about OCD as I have a bit of that myself but as you specifically asked not to, then who am I to try to keep you from harming yourself Tongue

Needlessly swapping disks and pointlessly triggering the (very lengthy on V2) rebuild process creates an actual risk of data loss. Decide for yourself if it's worth it. That being said, you can just shut down the Drobo safely, disconnect it from your computer and the power and then shuffle the disks around to your heart's content. When you're done (and all the disks are inserted), just power the Drobo back on and it'll figure it out. See? Not like the DROBO cares Wink Having said that, Drobo does, most probably, keep its internal drive numbering and it won't be sequential anymore. Are you ready to deal with that? Sorry for pushing your buttons Tongue

But seriously, fight it. And this comes from a guy who just HAS to check if the little red LED in his car actually starts to blink after he locks the door. Every. Single. Time.

Also, I tend to obsess about my grammar and spelling and it could be seen as most of my forum posts often getting numerous very minor edits. If you don't see "Last edit by Zbig" under this post, that means Zbig:1, OCD: 0 just this time Wink
11-07-2014, 09:11 AM
MacGui:1, OCD: 0

Thank you for your excellent and informative response.

With only two swaps of drives, I didn't think data corruption/loss would be particularly risky. However the time involved for the rebuild process is considerably daunting, to the tune of approximately 60hrs. Watching those lights blink for two rebuilds in a row was just too much. My Gen 3 (?) Drobo is considerably faster.

I didn't understand what was meant by the Drobo keeping the internal drive numbering and it not being sequential. Could you expand on that?

Again, your response is most appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
I recommend you swap out the 1TB drive and let it rebuild. After all goes green you can shut down the Drobo and remove all the drives, then re-insert them in whatever order you choose. Power it back up and all should be fine. Drobo doesn't care what the disk order is as long as they are present.

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
03-19-2015, 11:39 AM
(11-07-2014 02:58 PM)AzDragonLord Wrote:  I recommend you swap out the 1TB drive and let it rebuild. After all goes green you can shut down the Drobo and remove all the drives, then re-insert them in whatever order you choose. Power it back up and all should be fine. Drobo doesn't care what the disk order is as long as they are present.
Please Help - I have a huge Problem!
I have a Drobo 5 since 3 or 4 yeras with 2-2-1-1.
Last week No. two went to orange - low capacaty.
I orderes a 3 TB WD red one, empty the orange one and put in new one.
After 10 Minutes everything went green - but no Data on the NAS!!M
What did I wrong and how could I save my Data?
Kind regards
Juergen