Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
non existant drobo support
01-05-2015, 06:25 AM
RE: non existant drobo support
I will look at that to see if it helps I suspect it will not because if I lose drobo dashboard the shutdown button in dashboard wont be available if that makes sense
I have had another answer from support as below

Hello Roy

Thank you for the time to review. It looks like a process is writing to the volume during the last attempt to shut down.

In the screen shot you will see that the System process F:/$Extend/$RmMetadata is open.

Doing some searching on this reveals some more information. I have included links below.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r2565927...http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25659272-Cannot-eject-removable-external-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-system-process-locking-external-hdd/76170b41-c5e5-4cad-a20e-79

I apologize for the delay on this, but hopefully this will help resolve the issue. Please let me know if there are any questions.

Kind Regards,
Brad D.

Technical Support Agent
866-426-4280

how drobo has the cheek to market windows 7 supported then admit the problem existed in vista & windows 7's own bacup software don't work they don't seem to understand drobo needs to work with windows not windows needs to work with drobo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2015, 07:04 AM
You seem to be missing the point, yet again.

In both those threads people are having issues with Seagate drives.

This is a Windows bug, not a Drobo Bug.

It is Windows failing to work correctly, failing to correctly release files on the disk to allow for safe removal. And it may fail with ANY USB connected drive, holding the files open. Drobo simply stores files. If windows won't allow it to shutdown - that's not Drobos fault, and there isnt anything Drobo can possibly do about that.

By your flawed logic no one should ever produce any kind of USB connected disk, because this same windows bug may stop it from being safely removed?

What exactly do you expect Drobo to do? Re-write the faulty part of windows that sometimes flags USB disks as being fixed rather than removable?

I'd suggest you go and complain on a Microsoft forum about their faulty software, rather than complaining here about your Drobo, which is working perfectly.

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
01-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I suggest you read my earlier posts as its you have missed a point where I said I don't want to talk to you
01-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Well all you are doing is wasting your time and ours.

As everyone is trying to explain to you (and i said a long time ago) - its a Windows problem, not a Drobo problem.

No amount of whining on your part will change that.

And you seem to be completely unable to answer my very simple question.

What exact do you expect Drobo to do about your Windows problem?

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
01-05-2015, 09:14 AM
stop wasting your time then I have made it clear to you I do not want your input
02-19-2015, 01:29 PM
(12-22-2014 11:22 AM)jw@jimwilsonphotography.com Wrote:  This is disheartening to say the least. I own 10 Drobo units. I've not had the slightest problem with them until recently, so no reason to question the quality of Drobo support. One of my 5d units began dropping off the desktop, now shuts itself off and exhibits all of the symptoms many owners are complaining about.

My first encounter with Drobo "support" has been watching the "we're testing" response on the assimilation of 6TB drives. This has gone on way too long. Now I'm reading all the pleas for help with Drobos shutting down, dismounting, and I see the same kind of vague shuffle going on. Whether someone owns one Drobo unit, or ten like I do, we deserve quick and effective support and it doesn't seem to be there.

I will spend between 20 and 30 grand in 2015 on reliable storage additions. Unless something changes drastically here, Drobo will not be considered in that expenditure.

Very Sincerely,

Jim Wilson
did you consider the B1200i or the B800i ? was just curious?
02-25-2015, 12:17 AM
nothing on this earth would make recommend or buy anything with the slightest connection to drobo ever again once they have your money woebetide should you have a problem the support is very slow & very poor in my case as far as I can tell the 5d only partially works if I do a drobo reset it will shut down via the dash as it should the instant I format the drives after a reset that's yer lot shutdown button is no longer an option no bacup software running nothing on the drives just formatted so as far as I can tell there nothing running except normal windows operations. what the hell is the dashboard shutdown button for if not shutting down