Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
restore from Time Machine backup
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
RE: restore from Time Machine backup
(11-06-2014 11:02 AM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  If the system natively supports TB and USB, then you should be fine when booting Mavericks or newer in recovery mode.

The issues I have seen only happen with earlier (>10.9) versions of OS X and older hardware.

On my Late 2012 Mac Mini, TB works fine with the 5D.

My 2011 Macbook Pro was unable to use Thunderbolt to access the TM backup on the 5D when the laptop was in recovery mode. It was able to access the TM backup via USB. I also have a 2012 Mini but I haven't tried the same thing on it yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2014, 08:51 AM
(09-12-2014 02:38 PM)wheatcraft Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 09:30 AM)DroboModerator Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)wheatcraft Wrote:  I just bought and installed a Drobo 5D, MacPro running OS X 10.9.4. I set it up with a Time Machine volume in the Drobo dashboard and I now have a complete system backup.
Here is the question: I want to know how to do a full system restore, (not individual files). I booted into restore mode (restart, cmd-r). But when I go to disk utility and select restore from a Time Machine backup, the Drobo 5D is not seen. If it is not seen by the disk utility, how am I supposed to use the backup to do a system restore?

I would recommend openning Dashboard, and mounting the volume where your time machine backups are located on your MAC. Once the volume is mounted, it should be visible in disk utility, and time machine should see it so that you can restore your MAC. Can you confirm whether or not you are using the backup volume, and if you are on 3.1.1 firmware and 2.6.2 dashboard?

Drobo Support

Yes, I have the latest firmware, and 2.6.2 dashboard. But you can't do a full restore of OS and files when booted in the OS. As I wrote in my first post, you have to restart, cmd-r to go into restore mode. It is in this restore mode that the disk utility does not see the Drobo 5D.
So, again, my question is, how to restore the full system, not just files when booted in the OS.
Thanks

Where you able to figure this out? I'm trying to do a time machine restore from Drobo 5D

Thanks,
Ledio
11-15-2014, 02:44 PM
(11-15-2014 08:51 AM)ledio Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)wheatcraft Wrote:  I just bought and installed a Drobo 5D, MacPro running OS X 10.9.4. I set it up with a Time Machine volume in the Drobo dashboard and I now have a complete system backup.
Here is the question: I want to know how to do a full system restore, (not individual files). I booted into restore mode (restart, cmd-r). But when I go to disk utility and select restore from a Time Machine backup, the Drobo 5D is not seen. If it is not seen by the disk utility, how am I supposed to use the backup to do a system restore?

I would recommend openning Dashboard, and mounting the volume where your time machine backups are located on your MAC. Once the volume is mounted, it should be visible in disk utility, and time machine should see it so that you can restore your MAC. Can you confirm whether or not you are using the backup volume, and if you are on 3.1.1 firmware and 2.6.2 dashboard?

Drobo Support

Yes, I have the latest firmware, and 2.6.2 dashboard. But you can't do a full restore of OS and files when booted in the OS. As I wrote in my first post, you have to restart, cmd-r to go into restore mode. It is in this restore mode that the disk utility does not see the Drobo 5D.
So, again, my question is, how to restore the full system, not just files when booted in the OS.
Thanks

Where you able to figure this out? I'm trying to do a time machine restore from Drobo 5D

Thanks,
Ledio

Have you tried using the USB port on the 5D? That's what worked for me when I tried a system restore using my TM backups on the 5D.
03-06-2015, 05:04 PM
(11-15-2014 02:44 PM)wfiveash Wrote:  
(11-15-2014 08:51 AM)ledio Wrote:  

Drobo Support

Thanks

Thanks,
Ledio

Have you tried using the USB port on the 5D? That's what worked for me when I tried a system restore using my TM backups on the 5D.

Thats all great if it works... but the issue for me is how do i drag my iMac upstairs to the drobo to connect it? Still not a good solution if you can't mount the drives in Cmd+R mode
03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
It was my understanding that the Drobo Dashboard software needs to be active for the computer to see the device. So that Migration assistant is the only real option for restoring from a Drobo.
03-09-2015, 11:32 AM
You can restore from a Drobo 'bare metal' if you use USB.

I used my Gen2 Drobo to restore my daughters 13" MacBookPro this weekend.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-02-2016, 08:24 AM
This really means that Drobo 5D is poorly suited for use with Time Machine. I too found that the Drobo is not seen with Thunderbolt or USB 3 connections either when booted from the Restore partition, or when using Migration Assistant. Although a USB 2 cable works, it defeats the point of having a Drobo with faster connections.
01-02-2016, 10:13 AM
(01-02-2016 08:24 AM)bilbo--baggins Wrote:  This really means that Drobo 5D is poorly suited for use with Time Machine. I too found that the Drobo is not seen with Thunderbolt or USB 3 connections either when booted from the Restore partition, or when using Migration Assistant. Although a USB 2 cable works, it defeats the point of having a Drobo with faster connections.

It may be that USB 3.x and ThunderBolt DROBO connections need a DROBO specific driver for each of those protocols. I had trouble with a 5D and a Mini about a year ago; each would not connect via their TB ports to a MacPro running the latest OS at the time. I found that installing a Drobo Dashboard app installs among other things, a TB driver, which is needed for Macs to 'see' the TB / Drobo availability. It could be that when you boot into the recovery partition, the TB connection (and presumably the USB 3.x connection) is not made due to the absence of the DROBO drivers. Any way you can install Dashboard on the recovery partition while it's active, then reboot?