Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
restore from Time Machine backup
09-11-2014, 09:48 AM
restore from Time Machine backup
I just bought and installed a Drobo 5D, MacPro running OS X 10.9.4. I set it up with a Time Machine volume in the Drobo dashboard and I now have a complete system backup.
Here is the question: I want to know how to do a full system restore, (not individual files). I booted into restore mode (restart, cmd-r). But when I go to disk utility and select restore from a Time Machine backup, the Drobo 5D is not seen. If it is not seen by the disk utility, how am I supposed to use the backup to do a system restore?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: restore from Time Machine backup
(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)wheatcraft Wrote:  I just bought and installed a Drobo 5D, MacPro running OS X 10.9.4. I set it up with a Time Machine volume in the Drobo dashboard and I now have a complete system backup.
Here is the question: I want to know how to do a full system restore, (not individual files). I booted into restore mode (restart, cmd-r). But when I go to disk utility and select restore from a Time Machine backup, the Drobo 5D is not seen. If it is not seen by the disk utility, how am I supposed to use the backup to do a system restore?

I would recommend openning Dashboard, and mounting the volume where your time machine backups are located on your MAC. Once the volume is mounted, it should be visible in disk utility, and time machine should see it so that you can restore your MAC. Can you confirm whether or not you are using the backup volume, and if you are on 3.1.1 firmware and 2.6.2 dashboard?

Drobo Support
09-12-2014, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 02:41 PM by wheatcraft.)
(09-12-2014 09:30 AM)DroboModerator Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 09:48 AM)wheatcraft Wrote:  I just bought and installed a Drobo 5D, MacPro running OS X 10.9.4. I set it up with a Time Machine volume in the Drobo dashboard and I now have a complete system backup.

I would recommend openning Dashboard, and mounting the volume where your time machine backups are located on your MAC. Once the volume is mounted, it should be visible in disk utility, and time machine should see it so that you can restore your MAC. Can you confirm whether or not you are using the backup volume, and if you are on 3.1.1 firmware and 2.6.2 dashboard?

Drobo Support

Yes, I have the latest firmware, and 2.6.2 dashboard. But you can't do a full restore of OS and files when booted in the OS. As I wrote in my first post, you have to restart, cmd-r to go into restore mode. It is in this restore mode that the disk utility does not see the Drobo 5D.
So, again, my question is, how to restore the full system, not just files when booted in the OS.
Thanks
09-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I think what happens is first the underlying OS is installed from the Internet then you will be asked if you want to migrate data from a Time Machine backup. At that point I'm pretty sure the 5D will be seen.
09-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I have used a Gen2 Drobo to do a 'bare metal restore' like you are looking for.

However, I needed to attach the Drobo to my MacBook Pro via USB. When using firewire, it was not seen.

Have you tried the USB port on the 5D?

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
09-12-2014, 04:40 PM
All I can say is why would Apple allow one to TM back up to a device using a connection that can't be used at the time needed to restore from TM? My take as I wrote before; do a normal OS install then you'll be given the chance to migrate data from the TM backup.
09-13-2014, 03:45 PM
It's hardly an issue that is unique to Apple/OS X.

Drobo (FW and TB) works fine with USB in the scenario you are describing.

09-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Under USB 2.0 you can see the Drobo 5D when boot from Recovery HD mode.
Under USB 3.0 you can't see.
Under TB you cant't see.
11-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I just checked to see if I could access my TM backup on my Drobo 5D using a 2011 MBP running Mavericks and much to my disappointment, Thunderbolt did not work. When I connected using USB it did. Note that my MBP does not support USB 3.0 so I can't say if USB 3.0 will work but I sure hope so as I will be getting a new MBP and expect to be able to access the TM backups on the Drobo via USB 3.0 if I need to do a system restore. Are you saying that if a system supports USB 3.0 one can't use the 5D for TM system restores?
11-06-2014, 11:02 AM
If the system natively supports TB and USB, then you should be fine when booting Mavericks or newer in recovery mode.

The issues I have seen only happen with earlier (>10.9) versions of OS X and older hardware.

On my Late 2012 Mac Mini, TB works fine with the 5D.