Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Permissions Issue - Root Level - Requires Admin Password
07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Permissions Issue - Root Level - Requires Admin Password
Hi everyone,

Question
For Mac, do you need to enter your admin password in order to create folders on the root level of the Drobo 5D?

Story
I called Drobo Support, and they were puzzled with my problem, so I said I would start a thread on the Drobo Forums to see if anyone else is experiencing my issue.

I'm getting a write permissions issue on the root level. There is a little pencil icon with a line through it located on the bottom-left of the Finder window. I need to enter my admin password in order to create a folder. Each folder inside a root level folder does not have an issue. Verify/Repair disk via Disk Utility did not fix anything.

My Drobo is fairly new and not heavily used. I've only done a few things that I can recall.

(1) Added five drives from various manufactures.
(2) Replaced three drives with new 4 TB drives.
(3) Plugged it into my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini (after successful Dashboard shutdowns).
(4) Updated the firmware and Dashboard updates a couple times when prompted.

Software
I'm using the latest version of Mavericks on both Macs.

Thanks for your time. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: Permissions Issue - Root Level - Requires Admin Password
By default, OS X doesn't set permissions on external volumes.

If you 'get info' on any external volume, you will normally see that the 'ignore ownership on this volume' box is checked.

You can manually set them.

If 'ignore ownership' is not checked, check it and see if that solves your problem.

If it does, then it is a permissions problem. If not, then it is something else.

You can also use terminal to change the owner of the Drobo root to yourself.

Open Terminal & paste this in, spaces are important...

chown root /Volumes/

chmod 1777 /Volumes/

then right after the last / of each line, carefully type the name of that external volume, & if it has spaces in it enclose the name in quote marks.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3695988

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
07-22-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: Permissions Issue - Root Level - Requires Admin Password
(07-22-2014 10:11 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  By default, OS X doesn't set permissions on external volumes.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of OS X doing this.

Quote:If you 'get info' on any external volume, you will normally see that the 'ignore ownership on this volume' box is checked.

You can manually set them.

If 'ignore ownership' is not checked, check it and see if that solves your problem.

If it does, then it is a permissions problem. If not, then it is something else.

Thank you again! This solved my problem! I was able to unlock the icon on the bottom-right and check the box you suggested. Now I'm able to create folders on the root level. I'm going to call Drobo Support tomorrow and let them know you solved my issue. Smile