Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
6 To HD ?
07-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Thumbs Up 6 To HD ?
Is that new hard drives from Western Digital "WD Red" with a capacity of 6TB are used in the "Drodo 5D?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: 6 To HD ?
hi, i think they are still being tested,

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
07-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Correct, I can advise that we do have some 6TB drives in house that are still being qualified for use with our products. I have not been given a time frame yet as to when it will be done qualifying, but will provide an update as soon as I get official word from the development team.
08-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Any word on if WD Red 6 TB is qualified for use in Drobo 5D?

(07-23-2014 07:23 PM)DroboModerator Wrote:  Correct, I can advise that we do have some 6TB drives in house that are still being qualified for use with our products. I have not been given a time frame yet as to when it will be done qualifying, but will provide an update as soon as I get official word from the development team.
08-14-2014, 06:39 PM
(08-14-2014 04:08 PM)nowakj66 Wrote:  Any word on if WD Red 6 TB is qualified for use in Drobo 5D?

(07-23-2014 07:23 PM)DroboModerator Wrote:  Correct, I can advise that we do have some 6TB drives in house that are still being qualified for use with our products. I have not been given a time frame yet as to when it will be done qualifying, but will provide an update as soon as I get official word from the development team.

Currently no update as of yet on the qualification of 6 TB drives in the Drobo units. We will be posting an announcement on the forums when QA testing has been completed with the 6 TB drives.

Thank you for your patience,

Drobo / Transporter Support
08-15-2014, 10:14 AM
just thinking about this, there is probably a lot more that needs to go on behind the scenes as part of the testing, than we might first feel.

eg, to be able to qualify a drive for marketing etc, and say it supports any xTB drive, will probably entail at least the following:
- identifying existing drive manufacturers with 6tb drives
- identifying existing drive manufacturers with 6tb in the works.
- identifying each model of 6tb from the manfactuers
- identifying each firmware version of those drives
- requesting collabaoration for each such instance of drive
- collaborating with manufactuers to receive production test models (or shipped units) for testing
- running each drive version, across each drobo model, version number, and dashboard (designated as supportable) for a mimimum amount of runtime. (probably in hours but maybe longer)
- creating a test script for each instance
- subjecting each test-case to each test script, covering a wide range of usage, from expected use (read, write, add a drive etc), to testing every feature, (rebuilds, sdr > ddr < sdr) etc
- running each test across different (designated supportable) operating systems/filesystems (though some underlying drobo system might be the same)
- identifying bugs found in each such instance
- replicating / reproducing said bugs, and documenting them
- collaborating with said manufacturers to point fingers Smile oops i mean, to iron out the issues privately (most likely)
- awaiting new versions from drive makers, and or drobo dev teams
- re-testing (x-times) to make sure issue is resolved
- repeat accordingly

and this is just for those manufacturers with with drobo has a good working relationship and with both teams keeping the ball rolling Smile

just some thoughts Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
08-21-2014, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 05:50 PM by nowakj66.)
Thanks for the progress report. I decided to go with the new WD Red 4 TB Pro drives with 5 year warranty. So far so good. Maybe in a few years I will go for the 6 TB drives.

(08-14-2014 06:39 PM)DroboModerator Wrote:  
(08-14-2014 04:08 PM)nowakj66 Wrote:  Any word on if WD Red 6 TB is qualified for use in Drobo 5D?

Currently no update as of yet on the qualification of 6 TB drives in the Drobo units. We will be posting an announcement on the forums when QA testing has been completed with the 6 TB drives.

Thank you for your patience,

Drobo / Transporter Support
08-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Here is to hoping they are using the extra time to make some modifications to BeyondRAID to allow user-selectable volume sizes and >16TB single volumes.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
10-03-2014, 03:03 AM
Just installed my new WD 6 TB drive aside 4 existing 4 TB drives: of course no capacity improvement for I should have a 2nd 6 TB drive to see that, but other than that so far so good.
10-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Are there any updates on 6 tb drives in a Drobo. I am holding off on upgrading to an 8 bay until I hear if they will work.

Thank you in advance.