Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Drobo appears dead
07-19-2014, 06:51 PM
My Drobo appears dead
I purchased my Drobo unit in the afternoon today and it seems to be dead now.

Here's exactly what happened...

I purchased the unit along with 3Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives. The unit was working when I first powered on. With the 3 Hard Drives, for a while the blue LEDs were blinking and the HD status light was yellow. I opened the Dashboard program I installed from the Drobo website, so it's got to be the latest version. Waited for the program to detect my Drobo unit. About 10-15 mins after I turned on, Dashboard showed it was restarting, waited for that to restart and everything seemed good afterwards. The 3 HD lights were green and I was prompted that it detected the 3 drives as unformatted. So I went through the procedure and it created the 16TB partition for it. I did notice I was not able to choose a drive letter for it. not a big deal, I manually did that in MMC.

This is where the initial issues started happening. As I started to create folders I was planning on sharing to the network, I noticed the unit was taking a pretty long time to actually create the folder. Windows Explorer would say that it stopped responding, so I waited for it to become available again. That took anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute. Which is a long time for creating a folder. Some of those time, the drive would dismount and dashboard would say "no Drobo detected". The drives had the green light on it, so I powered off the unit and turned it back on. I created all my folders, and I noticed I accidentaly created one too many. From the failed attempts, there were "New Folders" folder. So I tried to delete that folder. A window popped up "Discovering items" on an empty drive, which took about 1-2 mins for that to process before prompting me to move the item to the recycle bin. So I select "yes". That also took about 1-2 mins for the Folder to be deleted. Either that or the drive would disconnect and I would get the error message saying drive was inaccessible.

At that point I was worried that if it took that long to do a simple task as created and deleting empty folders, the file transfer rate must really be horrible. I guess you could say I was happy to see the transfer rate. I transferred a 300MB file to Drobo. It clocked it at 200MB/s write speed. It did appear to be fine, until it reached the "1 second remaining". At that point it was about 6 seconds into the transfer. That last second actually turned out to be about 5 minutes before the transfer window disappeared.

There is no way a 300MB file takes 5 mins to transfer, even at USB 2.0 speeds it would have been quicker. USB3 should have transferred it within seconds. This took 5 mins to transfer. And I was hoping to use my Drobo as my back up drive. Storing 50+GB files from my Acronis images. I can't even imaging how long it would take to transfer something that large Confused

Anyway, I figured I had nothing stored on the drive anyway maybe it was some sort of configuration error while the volume was created. So I tried for format the volume with no success. Kept receiving the error "Drobo Dashboard was unable to format this Volume, please try again. If the problem persist, restart Dashboard and try again." So I did that but received the same message. Turned the unit off then back on and tried but also received the same error message.

This time I decided to use the "Reset" option, which brings it back to factory settings. At least I though it would. Clicked in, was prompt the confirm window saying once started all data on Drobo would be erased and settings restored to factory setting. Waited a couple minutes, then Dashboard gave an error saying Dashboard was unable to perform the reset.

So at that point, I went on drobo's site to look for a hard reset on the unit itself, followed those steps, removed my drives just in case. Pressed the button with the paperclip while replugging in the power and pressing start. At that point nothing turned on. I waited a couple minutes hoping the light would turn on. Press the power button again to make sure it was powering on. But nothing did.

Since then I've been checking, hoping that it would mysteriously turn back on and working again but I guess I don't have such luck. I did notice that there was a green LED on the power button that was lit up, even when I plugged the power adapter from the unit. I'm guessing thats from the back up option.

I have run out of ideas on how to get the unit to power up, and since this is my first Drobo I purchased, this isn't a very good first impression on the device. If I can somehow get it working again, I might not have to bring it back and exchange it, I might not go back to Drobo.

I'm hoping there are options I might have overlooked that might make this unit live again. Sad

Sorry for the long post!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: My Drobo appears dead
(07-19-2014 06:51 PM)danielm1487 Wrote:  I purchased my Drobo unit in the afternoon today and it seems to be dead now.

Here's exactly what happened...

I purchased the unit along with 3Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives. The unit was working when I first powered on. With the 3 Hard Drives, for a while the blue LEDs were blinking and the HD status light was yellow. I opened the Dashboard program I installed from the Drobo website, so it's got to be the latest version. Waited for the program to detect my Drobo unit. About 10-15 mins after I turned on, Dashboard showed it was restarting, waited for that to restart and everything seemed good afterwards. The 3 HD lights were green and I was prompted that it detected the 3 drives as unformatted. So I went through the procedure and it created the 16TB partition for it. I did notice I was not able to choose a drive letter for it. not a big deal, I manually did that in MMC.

This is where the initial issues started happening. As I started to create folders I was planning on sharing to the network, I noticed the unit was taking a pretty long time to actually create the folder. Windows Explorer would say that it stopped responding, so I waited for it to become available again. That took anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute. Which is a long time for creating a folder. Some of those time, the drive would dismount and dashboard would say "no Drobo detected". The drives had the green light on it, so I powered off the unit and turned it back on. I created all my folders, and I noticed I accidentaly created one too many. From the failed attempts, there were "New Folders" folder. So I tried to delete that folder. A window popped up "Discovering items" on an empty drive, which took about 1-2 mins for that to process before prompting me to move the item to the recycle bin. So I select "yes". That also took about 1-2 mins for the Folder to be deleted. Either that or the drive would disconnect and I would get the error message saying drive was inaccessible.

At that point I was worried that if it took that long to do a simple task as created and deleting empty folders, the file transfer rate must really be horrible. I guess you could say I was happy to see the transfer rate. I transferred a 300MB file to Drobo. It clocked it at 200MB/s write speed. It did appear to be fine, until it reached the "1 second remaining". At that point it was about 6 seconds into the transfer. That last second actually turned out to be about 5 minutes before the transfer window disappeared.

There is no way a 300MB file takes 5 mins to transfer, even at USB 2.0 speeds it would have been quicker. USB3 should have transferred it within seconds. This took 5 mins to transfer. And I was hoping to use my Drobo as my back up drive. Storing 50+GB files from my Acronis images. I can't even imaging how long it would take to transfer something that large Confused

Anyway, I figured I had nothing stored on the drive anyway maybe it was some sort of configuration error while the volume was created. So I tried for format the volume with no success. Kept receiving the error "Drobo Dashboard was unable to format this Volume, please try again. If the problem persist, restart Dashboard and try again." So I did that but received the same message. Turned the unit off then back on and tried but also received the same error message.

This time I decided to use the "Reset" option, which brings it back to factory settings. At least I though it would. Clicked in, was prompt the confirm window saying once started all data on Drobo would be erased and settings restored to factory setting. Waited a couple minutes, then Dashboard gave an error saying Dashboard was unable to perform the reset.

So at that point, I went on drobo's site to look for a hard reset on the unit itself, followed those steps, removed my drives just in case. Pressed the button with the paperclip while replugging in the power and pressing start. At that point nothing turned on. I waited a couple minutes hoping the light would turn on. Press the power button again to make sure it was powering on. But nothing did.

Since then I've been checking, hoping that it would mysteriously turn back on and working again but I guess I don't have such luck. I did notice that there was a green LED on the power button that was lit up, even when I plugged the power adapter from the unit. I'm guessing thats from the back up option.

I have run out of ideas on how to get the unit to power up, and since this is my first Drobo I purchased, this isn't a very good first impression on the device. If I can somehow get it working again, I might not have to bring it back and exchange it, I might not go back to Drobo.

I'm hoping there are options I might have overlooked that might make this unit live again. Sad

Sorry for the long post!

Can you advise further what OS you are running on your host machine? I did see references to windows explorer, so I am assuming it is windows but is this windows 8 or windows 7? Can you advise the make and model of your computer? Also can you advise if your USB 3.0 drivers are up to date? If you have an intel chipset, I would recommend checking their site for their latest drivers, as I have seen significant performance increases when running their latest drivers for the proper chipset. Even when the device reports it as working, I have seen cases where a newer version of intel drivers improved the connection on USB 3.0 devices. Can you advise if you have filed a case with support yet? Ideally I think you should as you should pull logs from your system and have them reviewed by a support agent.

Drobo Support
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply