Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Gen 3 won't mount (solved)
06-07-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 01:19 PM by craig7.)
Gen 3 won't mount (solved)
Attempting to set up new Gen 3. Followed quick start guide. After first power up, drive lights came on, then suddenly it just shut off, no lights at all. Restarted using power toggle. This time looked good with capacity lights stacking, etc. Then Windows 7 said driver failed to install. Rebooted computer. Then driver installed successfully and Dashboard saw the Drobo. Didn't say anything about formatting drives, but said it needed to "initialize." After that completed, it said it needed to reboot Drobo. It appeared to do another normal startup, but now, no matter reboot/restart, it ends up with a solid yellow power light, it's not discovered by Dashboard, and it doesn't show up as a drive in Windows. Device Manager has a warning symbol on a USB mass storage device saying it failed to start. When I try to update driver, it says it's got the latest.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 02:55 PM
RE: Gen 3 won't mount
Mine as well. On a Mac. Drobo Dashboard 2.6 for Mac keeps crashing. Also won't see my Drobo 2nd gen. Working with the support desk. Will advise.

(06-07-2014 02:59 PM)craig7 Wrote:  Attempting to set up new Gen 3. Followed quick start guide. After first power up, drive lights came on, then suddenly it just shut off, no lights at all. Restarted using power toggle. This time looked good with capacity lights stacking, etc. Then Windows 7 said driver failed to install. Rebooted computer. Then driver installed successfully and Dashboard saw the Drobo. Didn't say anything about formatting drives, but said it needed to "initialize." After that completed, it said it needed to reboot Drobo. It appeared to do another normal startup, but now, no matter reboot/restart, it ends up with a solid yellow power light, it's not discovered by Dashboard, and it doesn't show up as a drive in Windows. Device Manager has a warning symbol on a USB mass storage device saying it failed to start. When I try to update driver, it says it's got the latest.
Any ideas? Thanks.
06-08-2014, 07:46 PM
My new 4-bay Gen 3 also has difficulty mounting, which I discovered was resolved on my Retina MacBook Pro by downloading the Drobo Dashboard 2.6 for Mac, a version not offered by simply updating from inside my Drobo Dashboard application. After this, my Gen 3 immediately updated firmware once the Dashboard was run, and would mount on my machine.

NOW however I still find that my current Mac Mini will not mount the device, even after updating Drobo Dashboard on that machine as well. It identifies the drive in System Profiler under USB devices, but Disk Utility and Drobo Dashboard and Finder all do not see the drive.
06-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm having pretty much the same problem. USB driver errors installing, then it states it can't start the device. The Dashboard doesn't see it. I have to leave the Drobo on, power my PC down, boot it back up and then I can see it.. If I have to do any sort of Drobo reboot requiring event, it will fail because my PC will not pick it back up again. It just goes in to the endless loop of yellow exclamation point on the USB device and I ultimately have to power the PC down and back up.

Also, the write performance, when I can actually mount and write to it is utterly terrible. Like 15-20 MB/s. This is using a pari of WD 3TB drives that I currently run inside my machine on a cheap RAID1 card and they run much faster. I am certain it's plugged in to my USB3.0 jack as well because my Samsung Note3 works just fine and at USB3 speeds.

I'm so utterly frustrated with this product at the moment. Not a good showing for my first Drobo product.

Any of my other USBtoSATA adapters install, mount and transfer with no real issues, so I'm surprised that a product such as this is having these kinds of problems.
06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
(06-07-2014 02:59 PM)craig7 Wrote:  Attempting to set up new Gen 3. Followed quick start guide. After first power up, drive lights came on, then suddenly it just shut off, no lights at all. Restarted using power toggle. This time looked good with capacity lights stacking, etc. Then Windows 7 said driver failed to install. Rebooted computer. Then driver installed successfully and Dashboard saw the Drobo. Didn't say anything about formatting drives, but said it needed to "initialize." After that completed, it said it needed to reboot Drobo. It appeared to do another normal startup, but now, no matter reboot/restart, it ends up with a solid yellow power light, it's not discovered by Dashboard, and it doesn't show up as a drive in Windows. Device Manager has a warning symbol on a USB mass storage device saying it failed to start. When I try to update driver, it says it's got the latest.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you verify that you are running dashboard 2.6 on your Windows 7 machine? Also, is this a desktop machine or a laptop, and if a desktop, are you connected to the onboard USB ports or through a USB 3.0 PCI card? Have you filed a case with support yet?
06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
(06-08-2014 07:46 PM)goatknob Wrote:  My new 4-bay Gen 3 also has difficulty mounting, which I discovered was resolved on my Retina MacBook Pro by downloading the Drobo Dashboard 2.6 for Mac, a version not offered by simply updating from inside my Drobo Dashboard application. After this, my Gen 3 immediately updated firmware once the Dashboard was run, and would mount on my machine.

NOW however I still find that my current Mac Mini will not mount the device, even after updating Drobo Dashboard on that machine as well. It identifies the drive in System Profiler under USB devices, but Disk Utility and Drobo Dashboard and Finder all do not see the drive.

Can you advise that you did the safe shutdown and powered the unit down correctly prior to disconnecting it from your Retina display? Also, when connected on your MAC MINI, if you go to about this mac-> more info and then select system report, do you see the DROBO under USB? More specifically, do you see it under USB HI speed or USB Super speed? You may want to verify that your MAC MINI does have USB 3.0 installed, as I know it was only recent MAC MINIs that had USB 3.0, maybe in the last year or so. I would recommend connecting your GEN 3 to your retina display, collecting logs and then filing a ticket with support.
06-09-2014, 07:51 PM
(06-09-2014 08:54 AM)humanwiki Wrote:  I'm having pretty much the same problem. USB driver errors installing, then it states it can't start the device. The Dashboard doesn't see it. I have to leave the Drobo on, power my PC down, boot it back up and then I can see it.. If I have to do any sort of Drobo reboot requiring event, it will fail because my PC will not pick it back up again. It just goes in to the endless loop of yellow exclamation point on the USB device and I ultimately have to power the PC down and back up.

Also, the write performance, when I can actually mount and write to it is utterly terrible. Like 15-20 MB/s. This is using a pari of WD 3TB drives that I currently run inside my machine on a cheap RAID1 card and they run much faster. I am certain it's plugged in to my USB3.0 jack as well because my Samsung Note3 works just fine and at USB3 speeds.

I'm so utterly frustrated with this product at the moment. Not a good showing for my first Drobo product.

Any of my other USBtoSATA adapters install, mount and transfer with no real issues, so I'm surprised that a product such as this is having these kinds of problems.

Can you advise further if the USB port you are using is the onboard chip, or if this is a PCI card? The DROBO will use the mass storage drivers, so checking the USB drivers may be pertinent in your case. Does the DROBO appear in the USB tree when you connect it? Have you tried other USB 3.0 ports on your PC?
06-10-2014, 09:15 AM
(06-09-2014 07:40 PM)darth_maul Wrote:  
Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you verify that you are running dashboard 2.6 on your Windows 7 machine? Also, is this a desktop machine or a laptop, and if a desktop, are you connected to the onboard USB ports or through a USB 3.0 PCI card? Have you filed a case with support yet?

Yes, running Dashboard 2.6. Desktop, using onboard ports. Yes, working with support.
Since last post I have confirmed it will work on USB 2, but was unsuccessful with three different USB 3.0 ports. I don't have another PC here with USB 3.0 to test. I have updated the BIOS, chipset, and USB 3.0 drivers, as well, but to no avail. I noticed that the Dell USB 3.0 driver (Intel 1.0.4.225) is not the latest from Intel, so now I'm investigating whether my machine is compatible. Maybe Dell is slow to update their drivers and downloads. Support's latest suggestion is that it could be the USB 3.0 cable. Since the Drobo connected successfully once, albeit briefly before "initializing," I don't think it is the cable, and I don't have another to try at the moment anyway.
So my next steps are updated USB 3.0 driver compatibility, and finding a replacement cable.
Thanks for your reply, and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
06-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RE: Gen 3 won't mount (solved)
This issue is resolved, it was the USB 3.0 driver. I thought I had the latest driver when Windows 7 reported the driver is up to date. Then I discovered an updated version from Dell's Drivers and Downloads for my PC (XPS 8500). When that didn't work, I found an even newer (and working!) version directly from Intel. So my lesson learned here is that I can't necessarily trust Microsoft or Dell to identify or provide the latest drivers.
Thanks to all who posted with comments, questions, and suggestions.
06-10-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Gen 3 won't mount (solved)
(06-10-2014 01:17 PM)craig7 Wrote:  This issue is resolved, it was the USB 3.0 driver. I thought I had the latest driver when Windows 7 reported the driver is up to date. Then I discovered an updated version from Dell's Drivers and Downloads for my PC (XPS 8500). When that didn't work, I found an even newer (and working!) version directly from Intel. So my lesson learned here is that I can't necessarily trust Microsoft or Dell to identify or provide the latest drivers.
Thanks to all who posted with comments, questions, and suggestions.

Yes, point well made. I would always recommend downloading the drivers from Intel for your specific USB chip set, as Intel will update their drivers more readily than DELL would. Definitely well worth the effort to check Intel's site for the latest drivers for your chip set, I just updated mine as I noticed there was an update a few weeks ago and I've seen better performance on my USB 3.0 connections as well.