Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheapest way to get decent 2TB HDDs for Drobo Mini
05-21-2014, 04:10 AM
Cheapest way to get decent 2TB HDDs for Drobo Mini
Hi Everyone,

I read many things online and can confirm that the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive (USB 3.0) aka STDR2000101 contain Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm Sata Drives.

I bought 2x of these external hard drives and carefully pulled the cases apart using a small prising tool and successfully harvested the drives from within.

The two drives are now in my Drobo Mini quite happily doing their thing.

Currently the drives are $119 USD with free shipping, this may seem like a moot point seeing as there are other sellers selling the Samsung M9T 2TB drives on their own for $99, but I've been ripped off with imitations before. Plus at the time they weren't available in standalone form.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Por...http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR2000101/dp/B00FRHTTIA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400667662&sr=8-4&keywords=seagate+backup+plus+2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: Cheapest way to get decent 2TB HDDs for Drobo Mini
hi ive seen some enclosed drives in the past which were being sold for considerably less than the bare drives that they contained... so if you managed to do well with those, then well done Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Nice. The only risk is that manufacturers can change the internal drive at any time, so it's not guaranteed to always be the same model. I know Seagate was using Enterprise drives in their desktop externals due to availability issues.

More importantly, warranty on external drives usually only apply to the unit itself, so pulling the drive out usually voids the warranty.

That said, often times the economics work out (savings outweigh losing the warranty), so good!

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
12-03-2014, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 06:31 AM by rpassavant.)
resurrecting an old thread here -

OP - I see that they are going now for $87 on Amazon - did your "long run" success with these warrant the effort?

Were you able to pop the "old" drives you pulled from your mini into the cases and use them as standalone external drives?