• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where does mSata show up?
03-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Where does mSata show up?
Hi Everyone,

I bought a Drobo Mini and have:

2x Samsung M9T 2TB 2.5" (9.5mm) HDDs
1x Sandisk Enterprise 128GB mSATA SSD

I installed the mSata drive first, then the HDDs, but not sure where I should be seeing the mSata drive... I know it doesn't show up as storage, but surely it should show up SOMEWHERE so I know Drobo is actually seeing and using it?

Cheers,
Matt.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: Where does mSata show up?
It doesn't appear to the user. It's used by Drobo as a cache.
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/662/~/why-should-i-use-an-msata-card-in-the-drobo-5d-and-drobo-mini-%E2%80%93-and-

It's like the old 486 days where you could add Level 2 cache as a separate module on the motherboard, but you're probably too young to remember that. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
03-11-2014, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 05:47 PM by diamondsw.)
It certainly shows up in my Drobo 5N in the Drobo Dashboard ("Hot Data Cache is active").

(I can't add an attachment to this post, however, which is really infuriating.)

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
03-12-2014, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 04:24 AM by mattchoules.)
(03-11-2014 03:33 PM)bhiga Wrote:  It doesn't appear to the user. It's used by Drobo as a cache.

Thanks for the reply, but I am aware of this.
My question was asking where the information is displayed that Drobo Mini is actually seeing the mSata drive and using it...

*** EDIT ***

How strange. Yesterday nothing appeared. Today the words Hot Cache Enabled and a small icon has appeared...

http://i61.tinypic.com/28rp5pe.png
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
maybe it just takes a bit of time to show it (or maybe dashboard was restarted since yesterday?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. Glad it has finally showed up. I wonder if it ran some sort of integrity check or something. Of course the simpler answer was that it's just slow to update. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.