Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Cloning a drobo to an other Drobo
01-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Cloning a drobo to an other Drobo
Again a candid question because I have not found the reply on the forums.

I have 2 Drobo 5D, running on a Mac Pro. One is intended to be the backup of the other. Is it possible to clone Drobo A to Drobo B using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner ?
These programs will initially erase the target. Then, in subsequent backups they do what SD calls "smart backups", which take relatively much shorter time.
My concern is : will the erasing be strictly limited to the data contained on the Drobo and seen as such by the OS ? In other words, is there a risk to the special drobo software which runs the device ?
Does it matter if the 2 Drobos have been formatted with different sizes ( for ex. 8Gb and 16gGB, for a similar capacity of 5,4 GB ) ?

Thanks in advance for advice
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
RE: Cloning a drobo to an other Drobo
It sounds like you want to use CCC's synchronize feature.

Not cloning. Cloning makes a block-level copy of the disk and I'm not sure that would be desired with a Drobo.

BTW- using search on the CCC website for Drobo yielded quite a few results.

http://help.bombich.com/search?q=drobo&t=d&recommend=1

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
(01-10-2014 08:21 AM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  It sounds like you want to use CCC's synchronize feature.

Not cloning. Cloning makes a block-level copy of the disk and I'm not sure that would be desired with a Drobo.

BTW- using search on the CCC website for Drobo yielded quite a few results.

http://help.bombich.com/search?q=drobo&t=d&recommend=1

You're right : I mean't "copying". I have used Super Duper for many years and it is the one I want to use with Drobo. I think they copy file by file. I have done several copies of non bootable drives in the past and SD is good at the job. My guess is it would work the same with Drobo's but am I right ?
01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
This might also be helpful:
http://help.bombich.com/kb/explore/prote...http://help.bombich.com/kb/explore/protecting-data-that-is-already-on-your-destinat

It seems to indicate that the files will be deleted and the filesystem will be left alone, but even if CCC does do something that the Drobo doesn't like, like formatting it or causing the Drobo to go into reboot loops (very unlikely), you can always pinhole reset the Drobo (wiping all data, so have a backup!!!) and the Drobo should go back to normal.
01-11-2014, 06:40 AM
hi, just a brief post dansas as low on time and i think i explained thigns in more detail in another post...

but, essentially i do the same thing (backing up a gen1 drobo onto a gen2 drobo) - all windows.
i do it via a tool called SyncBack

BUT, the first time i setup the profile(config), i specifically EXCLUDED a few system file/folders on the source drobo.
(eg recycle bin, system volume recovery, etc)

- then i essentially run a MIRROR>RIGHT
- with source drobo 1 mirroring onto source drobo 2
- and it brings up a screen after the analysis, showing me what it plans to delete or copy etc)
- once you do it the first time, subsequent runs will just pickup the changes.

(i wouldnt fully automate it unless you have to - i run it as and when i need it, and also once a month anyway)

(its up to you though of course, but in any setup you do, you must make sure you have understood the program and tested it with a smaller copy of your data before you let it loose on your master source) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)