Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D USB 3.0 issues pls help
12-17-2013, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 09:11 AM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 5D USB 3.0 issues pls help
thanks dslam i see what you mean now.
(i first thought you were using 1 cable to go from the computer to another cable which then goes to the drobo)

ok, if we try a process of elimination... is there any other computer or laptop that you or a friend has, which has usb3, that you could try plugging into, and trying that parkdale there?

(this way the only difference is the computer / usb3 port)

i havent heard of parkdale but might try it out to see what i get

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
(12-17-2013 09:10 AM)Paul Wrote:  thanks dslam i see what you mean now.
(i first thought you were using 1 cable to go from the computer to another cable which then goes to the drobo)

ok, if we try a process of elimination... is there any other computer or laptop that you or a friend has, which has usb3, that you could try plugging into, and trying that parkdale there?

(this way the only difference is the computer / usb3 port)

i havent heard of parkdale but might try it out to see what i get
Ok, yes, I have tried it on my other windows computer and it is recognized at 3.0 no problem. Still one never knows for sure, it is a problem with the Drobo or with the Renasas Chipset on the Syba card on my laptop. I'm sure both will claim to be following the specs to the letter. Anyway, thanks for your help.
Apologies to the OP on this thread, I did not mean to hijack it for my own problem. Just wanted to add some experience.
01-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with Windows 8.1 and USB3 on an ASUS motherboard. USB3 works fine plugged into my Mac, but since the latest firmware update, it will not work on Windows, it won't even detect the device. Works fine on USB2.
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Today I installed a new Drobo 5D onto a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 using the provided USB3 cable. The laptop would not recognize the Drobo. Rebooted everything - no change. Connected Drobo using a Monoprice USB3 cable and everyting works correctly. Reconnected with the provided cable and the laptop could not recognize the Drobo. In fact this time the error seemed to crash the USB service and I have to force a reboot of the laptop. Changed cable back to Monoprice cable and everything was fine again. Contacted Tech Support and the quickly agreed to exchange the cable.
01-04-2014, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 07:09 AM by Paul.)
hi richard, that sounds like a bad cable, it must have had too many kinks in it and snapped a wire or something.

hi josh, thats a bit worrying... do you have any other computer you can try the same drobo and cable on?
maybe a win7 machine, just to try and pinpoint whether the issue is the drobo/firmware/or win8 incompatibility?

hi dslam, try to give it some more time though, as with holiday season maybe the support teams got busy,
(a rather drastic option, 'could' be to make a full backup / image of your current windows, verified, and to then try upgrading some usb drivers to see... just be careful of any bios/motherboard updates as am not sure if all can be downgraded again)

best to wait it out i think...

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
It is my own experience.
USB3 port of the Intel chip does not work.
USB3 port of ASMedia chip to work correctly.
The reason is unknown.