Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
CrashPlan Drobo App
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: CrashPlan Drobo App
Hello all,

I have been struggling for 2 days with this. I had the same issue with crashplan not starting in the Drobo5N. Eventually I reset the Drobo to factory settings.

Here is what worked for me at the end:

1. Installed dropbear from the Drobo Dashboard
2. Installed locale dowloaded from https://github.com/droboports/locale/releases
3. Installed java8 downloaded from https://github.com/droboports/java8/releases
4. Removed the crashplan folder inside DroboApps that was installed via the Dashboard, and installed crashplan with download from https://github.com/droboports/crashplan/releases (version 4.2)

Finally crashplan started and stayed running in Drobo5N!

After that...

- I can see the port 4243 is listening in Drobo5N
- I setup an SSH tunnel using Putty from a Windows machine to the Drobo
- I downloaded the CrashPlan client to my Windows machine
- Changed ui.properties servicePort
- Restarted CrashPlan client, and I don't get a list of Drobo, I only see the Windows drives

I tried changing the serviceHost to the IP of the Drobo, while leaving the servicePort at 4243, but in this case the client isn't able to contact backup engine (I believe because crashplan in Drobo is only listening to 127.0.0.1, that's why we need the SSH tunnel)

It seems to me that the CrashPlan client in Windows doesn't use a different port when the servicePort property is changed. Has anyone else had an issue like this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 04:48 PM by Paul.)
hi, it might just be coincidence, but i think crashplan just recently went to 4.3?
(according to this thread)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
07-08-2015, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 05:48 PM by diamondsw.)
Yup, so we're back to square one (screwed) until ricardo updates his DroboApp. Drobo Inc doesn't appear to maintain the "official" one at all. Furthermore, 4.3 largely breaks the "simple" method of SSH tunneling to manage a headless client; it now requires a matching token from the engine to live with the client, so if you're managing multiple CrashPlan machines then you're out of luck.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
07-08-2015, 08:03 PM
FYI, I have the newest 4.3.0 package ready: https://github.com/droboports/crashplan/releases

Despite the serious attempts from Crashplan to make it impossible to have a headless server, this is probably the easiest version of the crashplan DroboApp yet. Here are the main changes:

- SSH server no longer needed. Just edit "serviceHost" on ui.properties and put the Drobo IP address there. No need to change "servicePort", keep it at 4243.
- ui_info hardcoded to "4243,drobo". This arguably weakens the protection given by the token, but makes easier to manage several devices.
- Backup data moved out of /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/crashplan/app/backupArchives. Future upgrades should be as easy as nuke the whole thing, and start from scratch without fear of losing TBs of existing backups.

To prevent unauthorized access of your Drobo devices through crashplan, I suggest enabling password authentication as indicated in the release notes.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
07-09-2015, 06:06 AM
Thank you for the quick reply.

I do have client version 4.3. I will try your suggestions. Should I upgrade Drobo to 4.3 as well?
07-09-2015, 06:15 AM
(07-09-2015 06:06 AM)lyquix Wrote:  I do have client version 4.3. I will try your suggestions. Should I upgrade Drobo to 4.3 as well?

Yes. Otherwise it will disable itself in a couple of days anyway.

07-09-2015, 07:02 AM
I just tried upgrading to 4.3.0, but Crashplan won't start on the Drobo 5N. I've seen others post snippets of log files. How/where do I get to those?

(07-08-2015 08:03 PM)ricardo Wrote:  FYI, I have the newest 4.3.0 package ready: https://github.com/droboports/crashplan/releases

Despite the serious attempts from Crashplan to make it impossible to have a headless server, this is probably the easiest version of the crashplan DroboApp yet. Here are the main changes:

- SSH server no longer needed. Just edit "serviceHost" on ui.properties and put the Drobo IP address there. No need to change "servicePort", keep it at 4243.
- ui_info hardcoded to "4243,drobo". This arguably weakens the protection given by the token, but makes easier to manage several devices.
- Backup data moved out of /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/crashplan/app/backupArchives. Future upgrades should be as easy as nuke the whole thing, and start from scratch without fear of losing TBs of existing backups.

To prevent unauthorized access of your Drobo devices through crashplan, I suggest enabling password authentication as indicated in the release notes.
07-09-2015, 11:31 AM
The log files are in /tmp/DroboApps/crashplan/ . You need SSH access to see those. Quick question: if you access the DroboApps share, do you see a file called crashplan/app/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar ? If not, it could be the case that a new upgrade is out and is killing Drobo installs.

07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Ricardo,

thank you for your help. I was able to upgrade from Drobo crashplan 4.2 to 4.3. I deleted the crashplan folder inside the DroboApps folder and copied the crashplan.tgz file, and rebooted.

also, I changed the ui.properties file: left servicePort commented, and changed serviceHost to the IP address of Drobo; changed also the file .ui_info to have only the line

4243,drobo

Now when I start the CrashPlan client in Windows it asks me for username/password (no longer says that it is unable to connect to backup engine), however when I enter the username and password I get the error "the information you entered is incorrect".

Trust me the email and password are correct. When I revert the changes to ui.properties and .ui_info the client connects without problem.

Any ideas? Thank you!
07-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Ricardo,

I can confirm that the com.backup42.desktop.jar file is present. Any other ideas?

Jeff

(07-09-2015 11:31 AM)ricardo Wrote:  The log files are in /tmp/DroboApps/crashplan/ . You need SSH access to see those. Quick question: if you access the DroboApps share, do you see a file called crashplan/app/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar ? If not, it could be the case that a new upgrade is out and is killing Drobo installs.