Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
HowTo manually install a Drobo App
12-02-2013, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 08:11 PM by orevueltas.)
HowTo manually install a Drobo App
Most Drobo Apps can be installed using Drobo Dashboard. There will be a few exceptions to this rule as some more sophisticated Drobo Apps, will have some sort of dependencies on other Apps. As of this writing Dashboard is not capable of automatically installing dependencies, this mechanism is currently under investigation and may be a feature to be included in a future Dashboard update.

Some examples of dependencies/Drobo Apps that may need to be installed manually, are:

-Perl
-Python
-Java
-PHP
-Locale

So how do I manually install a Drobo App?

There are several ways to install a Drobo App onto the Drobo 5N. We will be explaining how to manually install a Drobo App.

From your host, connect to the DroboApps share using explorer for Windows, finder for Mac, and command-line if using Linux (e.g. afp://[DroboIP]/DroboApps.) If you get prompted to authenticate to this network share, you should provide the Drobo Dashboard admin username and password.

Once connected to this share, place the Drobo App desired to be installed onto this share. Notice that nothing has happened to this file, this is because the Drobo hasn’t been instructed to install this application. If you already have access to the Drobo via SSH, you could just execute the following command assuming that the SSH Drobo App is installed

/bin/sh /usr/bin/DroboApps.sh install

The Drobo will create a directory beneath the DroboApps share with the same base name as the package (the base name is the filename without the .tgz extension) The package will be installed into that directory and the package file itself will be deleted.

If SSH access is not yet enabled, a reboot of the Drobo should be sufficient. Upon boot, Drobo will look into the DroboApps share to see if there are any applications that need to be installed.

Once this process is complete, the Drobo App may show up within Drobo Dashboard. If it doesn't show up it is most likely that the App does not meet the basic SDK 2.0 requirements, or that the App doesn't run as a service but it functions more as a dependency, case in which the App does not need to have Stop/Start or Status controls.

The Dropbear SSH Drobo App is attached in this thread.

Attached File(s)
.tgz  dropbear.tgz (Size: 1.12 KB / Downloads: 2426)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2014, 08:12 AM
RE: HowTo manually install a Drobo App
Dropbear doesn't seem to be a built in native app to drobo, which is fine with me. I droped the application into the DroboApps file after providing credentials. Did a restart because natively... When I go to by drobo dashboard / Drobo Apps scroll to the bottom of the list "DroboApps" is now an option with an exclamation mark. it says application is stopped. click on that it will give me the option to start it. I click on that and I get an error that says This app failed to start. Please try again.

But it wont.

I did try to ssh into the device using putting, to manually install the app... SSH seemed to work, but it wont let me install dropbear using that command... It was my understanding that it doesn't work natively.. Though it did take my credentials....

The reason I need to have SSH is I need to backup a VOIP Trixbox asterisk device.
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Quote:When I go to by drobo dashboard / Drobo Apps

I'm not seeing such a thing in Dashboard on my DroboFS
09-20-2014, 03:49 AM
Only the Drobo 5N supports installing apps from Drobo Dashboard; all other FS devices require to install Apps manually by "dropping" the apps into the DroboApps directory.
11-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I've just purchased a Drobo 5N and two 4TB hard drives to add to it. Filled with regret today.

I assumed, given the price and solid marketing, that I was buying a premium product with a slick user experience. Turns out I could've gone with a much cheaper competitive product and gotten something that actually works.

- This thread is testament to what a joke Drobo Apps are. ***** should I be putting this much effort in? Especially when I'm paying twice as much for a Drobo as I would for a NAS that actually works?
- The Drobo website actually has pictures of 2.5" SSD drives on its page for the 5N, but buried deeper is the fact that you can't actually use these without a converter.
- Drobo Dashboard is the slowest piece of crap software I've had to deal with in recent memory. And nothing works. Why would they have Drobo Apps available as a tab in this application when you can't actually use it to install or configure them?

Thank god for a community of helpful users. But right now I'm wondering why I'm bothering when there are so many other great, cheaper NAS products out there that actually deliver on their promises...
11-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Lol - hang in there soulse - Drobo is way more than just a "NAS".

The 2.5" SSD plugs in the *bottom* dude, flip it over and open the SSD cover - no adapter needed.
11-15-2014, 10:13 AM
the bottom slot is for an mSATA SSD, not a 2.5" SSD ... if you want to use an SSD in the Drobo 5n soulse is right you'll need an adapter like an icy dock to get it to a standard 3.5" form factor.
12-06-2014, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 02:37 PM by likwidt.)
Hey Just got the drobo last week.

Have been up and down these threads and I'm stuck.

I've successfully installed and configured sabnzbd, and Sickbeard.

sabnzbd says it can't find par2, unbar, and unzip. so I installed a few of those too.

Still doesn't work. According tho the threads I need to change the environment variables to point to those via ssh.

So I try looking for dropbear or openssh. No it's not in the list of Drobo Apps. So I go online (forum threads, droboports, drobo.com) I can't seem to find a .tgz file which is the ONLY thing apparently that the drobo will install if dropped in the drobo apps folder.

all links official and not official point to .tar files or .tar.gz files...fine I unpacked them and repacked them as .tgz files, copy into Droboapps and reboot...seems it's installed, but I can't ssh into the drobo to save my soul. always connection refused. Tried from putty on PC, Terminal on mac, even vSSH on mac. always connection refused.

tried ssh root@, admin@ always the same result...

IS THERE ANYWAY TO MAKE THIS DEVICE ACTUALLY WORK!

Sorry very frustrated at this point, Any help would be appreciated

*** UPDATE ***

Contacted drobo support, they sent me a copy of dropbear.tgz, installed it, apparently successfully, still can't connect.

Reset drobo to factory defaults, set Admin password, installed dropbear on clean drobo....Mac, PC, vSSH, Putty ==> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused
12-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Trying to authenticate to the DroboApps folder with the Drobo Dashboard Admin account and no dice.
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
(12-06-2014 12:43 PM)likwidt Wrote:  Hey Just got the drobo last week.

Have been up and down these threads and I'm stuck.

I've successfully installed and configured sabnzbd, and Sickbeard.

sabnzbd says it can't find par2, unbar, and unzip. so I installed a few of those too.

Still doesn't work. According tho the threads I need to change the environment variables to point to those via ssh.

So I try looking for dropbear or openssh. No it's not in the list of Drobo Apps. So I go online (forum threads, droboports, drobo.com) I can't seem to find a .tgz file which is the ONLY thing apparently that the drobo will install if dropped in the drobo apps folder.

all links official and not official point to .tar files or .tar.gz files...fine I unpacked them and repacked them as .tgz files, copy into Droboapps and reboot...seems it's installed, but I can't ssh into the drobo to save my soul. always connection refused. Tried from putty on PC, Terminal on mac, even vSSH on mac. always connection refused.

tried ssh root@, admin@ always the same result...

IS THERE ANYWAY TO MAKE THIS DEVICE ACTUALLY WORK!

Sorry very frustrated at this point, Any help would be appreciated

*** UPDATE ***

Contacted drobo support, they sent me a copy of dropbear.tgz, installed it, apparently successfully, still can't connect.

Reset drobo to factory defaults, set Admin password, installed dropbear on clean drobo....Mac, PC, vSSH, Putty ==> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused

try this from a command line/terminal/whatever: ssh root@{IP_OF_DROBO}
Default Password: root
On login you should see: #
I HIGHLY suggest you change the default password, you can do so by typing: passwd
Enter in the new root password.

Below is the example of how my terminal session appeared:

Quote:neil$ ssh root@192.168.1.5
root@192.168.1.5's password:
# passwd
Changing password for root
New password:
Retype password:
Password for root changed by root
Hope that helps.