Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Firefly Drobo App
04-11-2014, 01:08 AM
RE: Firefly Drobo App
(04-10-2014 10:52 PM)larryganz Wrote:  any suggestions?

ssh into your drobo and take a look at /tmp/droboapps/firefly.
There should be a logfile which could contain a hint what went wrong (if firefly was indeed installed and had a chance to write a logfile).

Drobo B810n & 5N: Samsung 840 SSD | Plextor 64GB SSD | WD Red 6TB | WD Red 4TB | Hitachi Deskstar 4TB
DroboPorts: OpenSSH, BTSync
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 01:27 AM by cheesycheese.)
Try this. You will need ssh access.

rm /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DrobApps/firefly/var/cache/songs.gdb

Edit the config file
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf
change the entry for mp3_dir to point to your music files.

Enable verbose logging by editing the startup file
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/service.sh
change the entry in the start section to look like this: LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${libdir}" "${daemon}" -c "${conffile}" -d 6 >> "${logfile}" 2>&1
If you can't see the difference, it's to add -d 6

Start the process
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/service.sh start

If you monitor the log file /tmp/DroboApps/firefly/log.txt periodically you will see its progress as it indexes your individual media files. Best thing is to have two ssh sessions open, one to look at the log file and the other running top so you can see whether the mt-daapd process is running.

At some point, assuming you have a problem, it will crash and the two mt-daapd processes will disappear. The last entry in the log file will give you a pointer of where the process was indexing when it crashed. Unfortunately the log isn't quite verbose enough, so it will tell you the filename but not the directory. Hopefully you will be able to work out what directory that file is in. I did this by creating a catalogue of my media ls -lR > catalogue.txt that I could search to find the file. I then went into the directory and addressed the issue - in my case I simply removed the album as the issue wasn't obvious from the filename or ID3 tags.

It's worth noting that the web front end won't work until indexing is complete. That's normal I believe. Indexing can take a long time - more than an hour in the case of my 65,000+ files - but it will be obvious when it has finished as the log will say so.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2014, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 10:35 PM by larryganz.)
(1) While in general I am an experienced computer user (starting with my commodore 64 and writing a couple of basic programs in 1986), it's more an ability to figure things out and problem solve when things don't go right.

However, ssh is something I've never needed to use, so I don't know what app on the Mac to open to access the drobo via ssh. I lost the ability to program + forgot most command line commands years ago, thanks to the coddling of windows and mac OS.

Any help on what app to run? Do I use terminal, or do I use the "go to folder" or "connect to server" options in finder? etc...

(2) So, I found ssh 6.1 for drobo ssh for drobo 6.1 but the instructions are not as simple as just dropping a .tgz file into the DroboApps folder while logged in as Admin and then rebooting the drobo.

There's all this talk about cross-compiling virtual machine, and a bunch of commands. What do I do to install ssh on the drobo?

Thanks!
Okay, so with google as my friend I am watching a you tube video showing me how to use mac terminal to ssh into something on the network. I can see the drobo5N on the network but I can't ssh into it until openssh is installed.

So, I just need to know, is it safe to just drag the 4 files that are downloadable on the ssh 6.1 page into the DroboApps folder and reboot, to install it, or do I need to figure out what to do with all the command lines they have on that page? And if I NEED to DRAG over ALL 4 files, can the other 3 work with opens 6.2p2 in the second link

https://sites.google.com/a/droboports.co...https://sites.google.com/a/droboports.com/www/app-repository/archives/o

[ALSO found newer version without the extra downloads on the page https://sites.google.com/a/droboports.co...https://sites.google.com/a/droboports.com/www/app-repository/openssh-6-2p
04-13-2014, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 02:16 AM by larryganz.)
(04-11-2014 01:26 AM)cheesycheese Wrote:  Try this. You will need ssh access.

rm /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DrobApps/firefly/var/cache/songs.gdb

...snip...

(1) Got SSH installed with the help of Terry C at DRI. Logged in as root with pw root as per Terry. I changed the command by using the name I gave my drobo to "Drobo5N" and entered it into the ssh window, but the file doesn't exist - so now what?

Quote:root@drobo5n.local.'s password:
Last login: Sat Apr 12 23:47:31 2014 from 192.168.0.44
# rm /mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DrobApps/firefly/var/cache/songs.gdb
rm: can't remove
'/mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DrobApps/firefly/var/cache/songs.gdb': No such file or directory

(2) Next I tried using vi /mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf brings up an empty file (or a window with nothing but the following in quotes, which I removed some carriage returns for the sake of brevity). So I can't edit the file (unless I used the wrong command).

Also, hitting the esc key doesn't take me out of the editor, and typing "exit" put a "t" in the first line in place of a tilde.

Last login: Sat Apr 12 23:56:16 2014 from 192.168.0.44
# vi /mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf

...snip...

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
- /mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf 1/1 100%

(3) To see if the mt-daapd.conf file was even there at all I tried to make a backup copy as follows:

Last login: Sun Apr 13 00:00:38 2014 from 192.168.0.44
# cp /mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf/ mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd-backup.conf
cp: can't stat '/mnt/Drobo5N/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.conf': No such file or directory
#

Am I using the wrong commands? DroboApps on the dashboard says that Firefly is installed and running. It also shows SSH installed. After a while Firefly stops on it's own, and I cannot load the web interface to configure it still.

But, if I go into shared servers with the Mac finder and log in as Admin to see the DroboApps folder, I can see the files above are there. I also see 5 aliases in the media folder that point to folders in the media folder that aren't there. See screen shot: [Image: lmvd.jpg]

(4) I looked in the .conf file to see what the contents look like in Mac's TextEdit app. Several lines look okay, but ALL of the lines with the server name are wrong - My Server is named "Drobo5N":

web_root /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/www
db_dir /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/var/cache/
mp3_dir /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/media/
servername Drobo-5N
playlist /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/etc/mt-daapd.playlist

TextEdit locked up when I tried to duplicate the file, so I'll come back and post what happened after I edit the file and replace the bad one (keeping a backup)...

I'm BACK -

(A) If I change ANY the occurrences of "DroboFS" to "Dobo5N" I can't even start Firefly for a few minutes. I restored the .conf file back to the original file using the Mac finder, and started over.

(B) This time I changed ONLY the mp3 directory in the .conf file to "/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/iTunes/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Diana Krall/Live In Paris ALAC" which is one album of my music, to keep it simple and fast.

I made NO other changes to the contents of /firefly other than to remove the songs.gdb file and re-start firefly.

IT WORKED!

I got the configuration page up and running, using user "mt-daapd" and password "drobo". And, when I launched iTunes the "Drobo-5N" shows up as a shared library, and I can open it and see the whole 12 song album and it plays the music in iTunes just fine.

SO IN SUMMARY - I never needed SSH.

All I needed to do was open the Mac Finder, click on the Drobo5N in the sidebar, log me out in the button at the top right corner of the window, log back in as Admin, open the DroboApps share, edit the "mt-daapd.conf" file in TextEdit to change the mp3 directory to the correct share and folder, save the file, and re-start FireFly from the Drobo Dashboard.

© I changed the directory to "/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/iTunes/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Diana Krall/" to include all of her albums, and it only took a minute or so to index the 113 songs and make the configuration page available again.

(D) So, now I will change the directory to "/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/iTunes/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" instead of a single album or single artist, and see how it handles all 285GB of music in there (20K songs)...
04-13-2014, 02:45 AM
Okay, I get to a point where the songs.gdb is 1.3mb and then it stops. So, I am ready to do the next step below.

(04-11-2014 01:26 AM)cheesycheese Wrote:  ...

Enable verbose logging by editing the startup file
change the entry in the start section to look like this: LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${libdir}" "${daemon}" -c "${conffile}" -d 6 >> "${logfile}" 2>&1

Start the process
/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/service.sh start

If you monitor the log file /tmp/DroboApps/firefly/log.txt periodically you will see its progress as it indexes your individual media files. Best thing is to have two ssh sessions open, one to look at the log file and the other running top so you can see whether the mt-daapd process is running.

At some point, assuming you have a problem, it will crash and the two mt-daapd processes will disappear. The last entry in the log file will give you a pointer of where the process was indexing when it crashed. Unfortunately the log isn't quite verbose enough, so it will tell you the filename but not the directory. Hopefully you will be able to work out what directory that file is in. I did this by creating a catalogue of my media ls -lR > catalogue.txt that I could search to find the file. I then went into the directory and addressed the issue - in my case I simply removed the album as the issue wasn't obvious from the filename or ID3 tags.

It's worth noting that the web front end won't work until indexing is complete. That's normal I believe. Indexing can take a long time - more than an hour in the case of my 65,000+ files - but it will be obvious when it has finished as the log will say so.

I have edited the service.sh file as instructed.

I don't know how to run the command "/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/firefly/service.sh start" because it said permission denied. Do I enter the line exactly as above in SSH?

(1) If I stop and start FireFly from within the dashboard will that do the same? I tried that instead.

(2) I still don't know where to find "/tmp/DroboApps/firefly/log.txt"
04-15-2014, 02:05 AM
This is just a suggestion that I used as it limits typing commands in the console. If you have access to an FTP program like Transmit which allows you to login using SFTP, it may make it easier to locate and edit the files while at the same time traverse the directories easier. I used Transmit and I think they have a trial version you can test, but I'm sure there may be some other free options out there.
04-27-2014, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 10:31 PM by larryganz.)
I've turned on verbose logging per the instructions below.

Quote:Enable verbose logging by editing the startup file

But I still don't know where to find the log file "/tmp/DroboApps/firefly/log.txt"

I need to find it and view it to see where Firefly is hanging up when it tries to import my 285GB iTunes Music Folder. Right now I have to settle with sharing only the 30GB "Compilations" folder because it's the largest one in my iTunes library that doesn't cause Firefly to hang while scanning.

Is this a hidden folder that I can't see when I mount the DroboApps share as Admin in OSX 10.9.2 Finder?

If you recall before, when I tried to SSH I logged in successfully, and it acted like all was fine, except I would type ls to list the directory and it would give me an error.
Help! My problem is this - I don't know what command-line commands to enter to do the following

"ssh into your drobo and take a look at /tmp/droboapps/firefly/log.txt"

I'm into the Drobo successfully via SSH as root, using Mac terminal and then "Shell > New Remote Connection > Drobo5N > User root > password root"

So I am connected and see this below in the terminal window:

Last login: Sun Apr 13 02:02:42 2014 from 192.168.0.44
#

At the "#" command prompt I can't do anything in the terminal screen because none of the 3-4 commands I know for Mac OSX work. I can't list directories, I can't change directories, and I can't open files since I don't even know how to list them.

All I want to do is read the stupid Firefly log.txt file and see where the process hangs up on my iTunes Library. Help!
04-28-2014, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 01:52 AM by cheesycheese.)
(04-27-2014 10:13 PM)larryganz Wrote:  At the "#" command prompt I can't do anything in the terminal screen because none of the 3-4 commands I know for Mac OSX work. I can't list directories, I can't change directories, and I can't open files since I don't even know how to list them.

All I want to do is read the stupid Firefly log.txt file and see where the process hangs up on my iTunes Library. Help!

First command: cd /tmp/DroboApps/firefly (puts you in the directory containing the log)
Second command: ls (list the files in the directory, which should confirm that log.txt exists)
Third command: cat log.txt (show the whole log) or tail log.txt (show just the last few lines)
08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Any idea where I can find the installer for Firefly for the Drobo FS?