Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Case/power supply?
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Case/power supply?
Hi everyone,

Now that I'm all set up with my Drobo Mini I'm thinking about getting the carry case for it as well as a second power supply that I can keep plugged in at my workstation rather set up/take down every day.

A couple of things:

1) Any cheap sources for the carry case? I've seen them for as little as $49 but once you factor in shipping to Canada it gets expensive.
2) Do I have buy the official Drobo mini power supply or are there cheaper third-party options that would work just as well?

Thank you.

[L]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: Case/power supply?
(10-26-2013 04:00 PM)frosty Wrote:  2) Do I have buy the official Drobo mini power supply or are there cheaper third-party options that would work just as well?

You should be fine with alternative good quality power supply as long as it's exactly the same voltage, plug size and polarity and of the same or greater current/power rating.
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
(10-27-2013 03:07 PM)Zbig Wrote:  You should be fine with alternative good quality power supply as long as it's exactly the same voltage, plug size and polarity and of the same or greater current/power rating.

Are there any specific power supplies that you can recommend?

[L]
10-27-2013, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2013 03:51 PM by Zbig.)
(10-27-2013 03:28 PM)frosty Wrote:  Are there any specific power supplies that you can recommend?

Sorry, but I don't own Mini myself and I wouldn't like to give you unverified advices. Based on the information online and some educated guess, I'd assume the original is:
  • 12V
  • 4.16A (50W)
  • 5.5x2.5 plug, center-positive

But I advise you not to trust me Wink

EDIT:
The original one employs some turn-to-lock plug, so you'd lose that functionality when using a generic power supply.
10-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Haha. Thanks. I'll have a look around.

[L]
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
There are some advertised as Drobo Mini power supplies specifically on... eee... "leading auction service" Wink
10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a forbidden word. :-p I'll look, thank you.

[L]