Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the deal with repartitioning using Disk Utility?
10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
RE: What's the deal with repartitioning using Disk Utility?
AFAIK, you can repartition for Time Capsule.
Whether you want to, however, is a matter of debate...

I'm not sure how Time Machine schedules load, but I would suspect that once backup is "running" it'll put a good load on the storage device, versus a constant "trickle" though Apple's pretty clever, so I could be dead wrong. Smile

Media streaming is more sensitive to latency than storage throughput (as long as the throughput exceeds the bitrate of the media).

I have a Windows Home Server which I use for both media streaming like you do, as well as WHS automatic backup. When a backup runs, it eats up a lot of network bandwidth and storage throughput.

Long story short, when a backup runs, it sometimes "suffocates" my streaming by eating too much network bandwidth. I've scheduled backups so they occur during non-viewing times and my primary backup culprits are on a slower segment of the network (so they are forcible bandwidth-limited).

On your slow speeds, check the lights on your switches. It might not necessarily be a 100 Mbps device, but simply a flakey cable. I used to crimp my own cables until I found that I'm no good at crimping my own Gigabit-compliant cables, even though I have all the correct tools and supplies. *shrug*

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2013, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 04:33 PM by Bojangles.)
(10-15-2013 10:40 AM)bhiga Wrote:  AFAIK, you can repartition for Time Capsule.
Whether you want to, however, is a matter of debate...

You can, sure, but doing so is not officially supported. According to Drobo, the only recommended method for partitioning is using the Drobo Dashboard. Doing anything else is "at your own risk." Maybe it's fine in practice (it would seem that plenty of people do it), but as recent as four months ago something about it was important enough for Drobo to officially recommend against it:

Quote:Although some utilities (such as Apple's Disk Utility in OS X 10.5 and later) allow you to repartition or dynamically repartition a volume without losing data, Drobo device volumes do not support these utilities. Drobo storage device volumes should not be repartitioned using any application other than Drobo Dashboard. If you repartition a Drobo device drive using a third-party utility (including OS utilities), you risk losing the data on the drive.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with support and was told the same thing, and when I pressed the issue the guy elevated my case. A few hours later I received an email saying that he heard back from engineering and yes, the current guidance is still to only use the Drobo Dashboard for partitioning. He couldn't give me any details beyond that. Again, it's probably fine, but the fact that Drobo continues to advise against it was enough for me to make up my mind. The one aspect of my storage solution that I'm not willing to tolerate any (avoidable) risk with is my backups.
10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry, I meant Time Machine, not Time Capsule...
Yes, it seems to be a confusing beast...

Long story short, seems everybody is correct - because the procedure differs depending on the model and OS version.

From what I can discern:
  1. Partitioning/repartitioning via Disk Utility is not supported, except for the specific case of #3 below.
  2. Under Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or newer, Time Machine support is achieved via creating a sparsebundle.
    For Drobo Mini and Drobo 5D under Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or newer see KB article 688 (it's currently a Word doc).
    For other direct-attach (not the NAS N and FS units) Drobos under Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or newer, see KB article 608 for doing the same thing.
  3. For Drobo, Drobo S, DroboPro and Drobo B800i under Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or older, you do use Disk Utility to create a partition, but only exactly as described in KB article 119.
  4. What about Drobo Mini and Drobo 5D under Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or older?
    Well, the Drobo 5D and Drobo Mini specs list only Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x under their Specifications, so I guess 10.6 is not supported...
  5. For NAS Drobos (Drobo 5N, Drobo FS, DroboPro FS, Drobo model B800fs), there doesn't seem to be much "technical" to do, just follow KB article 609.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.