Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the deal with repartitioning using Disk Utility?
10-13-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 03:08 PM by Bojangles.)
RE: What's the deal with repartitioning using Disk Utility?
(10-13-2013 02:34 PM)rdo Wrote:  Yeah, I see your point. Drobo offers one giant drive-redundant storage place, so why not use it that way? If I had a "lump of data" like iTunes, I would put it all on one partition too. That said, I think that symlinks might work (Drobo won't blow its cookies, at least), as would just "organizing" media (I'm not sure of the right term, but it's when I hold the option key and drag something into iTunes. That doesn't copy it into my Library, but just makes a link to the original file.)

I like 2TB volumes because that matches my 2TB USB drives. I rsync my Drobo to a BlacX dock, and I keep the Important Stuff backed up to CrashPlan's service. How will you back up your Drobo?

Anyway, I certainly agree that "able to partition it as we like" is so obvious that we kind of assume that with a new storage product. Because Drobo offers that on their higher-end (8-bay and larger) BeyondRAID products, I guess they use the feature to differentiate their more expensive products. I don't know if that's enough to upsell someone from a 5D to a B800i.

It's definitely not enough to upsell me and my basic iTunes needs.

I'm backing up the Drobo (minus the Time Machine stuff) via Backblaze. It's just my media collection, nothing sensitive, so I'm not worried about backing it up online. Much more convenient and cheap than managing another physical backup myself.

I guess I'll try this 2TB volume thing and see how Drobo handles the symlinks. It's just so... inelegant. I hate that I now have 4 volumes mounted to my server instead of one. Not to mention the symlink solution feels kinda like a ticking time bomb. I guess I could just "manually" manage the file structure like you suggested, but geez, I might as well just maintain a Plex server or some other janky solution if I'm gonna do that. The whole point of doing this with iTunes, Drobo and OS X Server was to make managing the media server utterly simple. If I wanted to tweak a bunch of nonsense I'd have build my own NAS box. I'm not doing this to geek out and solve problems, I'm doing it to easily stream my blu-ray rips to any room in the house without any fuss. I've already spent more time troubleshooting in the past week than I wanted to spend all year. What's mind-blowing to me is that my needs are so. damn. simple. It should be absolutely trivial for my $850 Drobo to accomplish what I'm asking of it. Good grief.

Meh. Maybe Drobo isn't for me.

I was so happy for the first few days until I read about the partition crap. So dumb. =/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2013, 01:47 AM
I've been using DiskUtility partioned Drobo's for ages. Right now a S and a 5D.

Absolutely no issue with partioning as you whish with DiskUtility right after formatting the Drobo with Dashboard.

I also have a 2TB TimeMachine partition, a 500GB clone for CarbonCopy and the rest as a 16TB thin provisioned one. Always been like that and no worry there.
10-14-2013, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2013 07:04 AM by Bojangles.)
(10-14-2013 01:47 AM)manfredell Wrote:  I've been using DiskUtility partioned Drobo's for ages. Right now a S and a 5D.

Absolutely no issue with partioning as you whish with DiskUtility right after formatting the Drobo with Dashboard.

I also have a 2TB TimeMachine partition, a 500GB clone for CarbonCopy and the rest as a 16TB thin provisioned one. Always been like that and no worry there.

Damn it, I just finished copying my 3TB media library across two new 2TB Drobo volumes.

Why is it that Drobo says Disk Utility partitions are bad if they work just fine?
10-14-2013, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2013 07:13 AM by manfredell.)
(10-14-2013 07:03 AM)Bojangles Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 01:47 AM)manfredell Wrote:  I've been using DiskUtility partioned Drobo's for ages. Right now a S and a 5D.

Damn it, I just finished copying my 3TB media library across two new 2TB Drobo volumes.

Why is it that Drobo says Disk Utility partitions are bad if they work just fine?

Go figure....

The only thing you CANNOT do is repartition on the fly!
This is how it appears in dashboard:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Yeah, that's what I had up until yesterday when I reset my entire Drobo to do the 2TB volumes thing.

Ugh.
10-14-2013, 07:50 AM
This is the perfect time for a Drobo tech rep to clear the air with a post.
Is it okay to partition a Drobo volume using Disk Utility? If not, what are the risks? What is the recommended alternative?
Is that configuration supported, or will the customer be told "sorry your Drobo doesn't boot, but you used Disk Utility last year and all we can tell you is erase the disks."

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
10-14-2013, 08:02 AM
(10-14-2013 07:50 AM)rdo Wrote:  This is the perfect time for a Drobo tech rep to clear the air with a post.
Is it okay to partition a Drobo volume using Disk Utility? If not, what are the risks? What is the recommended alternative?
Is that configuration supported, or will the customer be told "sorry your Drobo doesn't boot, but you used Disk Utility last year and all we can tell you is erase the disks."

For the record: I have been told in the past several times that this is a non-issue.
I had lots of problems with Drobo in the past, hardware related, fw related, lost data, but never due to this issue.
And they have received dozen of logs during this time.
10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Sounds like repartitioning on the Mac side is "unsupport, do so at your own risk" with the exception of the documented method to keep Time Machine under control.

To be honest I've never tried repartitioning on Windows. I know that trying to change the volume type (between MBR and GPT) can definitely cause Windows not to mount the Drobo at all.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
10-15-2013, 08:46 AM
hi bo, do any of your devices/apps on those devices that you are streaming to, have any kind of buffering options?

maybe in the meantime it might help you a bit if you can try setting a pre-buffer option.
eg some players allow you to specify a % to pre-load before it starts playing.... maybe a little bit of buffering will help you a lot?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-15-2013, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 10:05 AM by Bojangles.)
(10-15-2013 08:46 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi bo, do any of your devices/apps on those devices that you are streaming to, have any kind of buffering options?

maybe in the meantime it might help you a bit if you can try setting a pre-buffer option.
eg some players allow you to specify a % to pre-load before it starts playing.... maybe a little bit of buffering will help you a lot?

Oh, media playback is just fine! I can stream my massive 1080p/5.1DDS Blu-ray rips (some approaching 20 GB in size) without a hitch. The massive ones take 5-6 seconds to get going (buffering), but once they start I never run into issues. The lowish speeds I posted were specifically from running BlackMagic Speed Test while accessing the Drobo 5D from another computer on the network.

The only real issue I had with this thing was not being able to partition the drive myself for Time Machine. I guess I could have simply risked it (since it seems to be fine anyway), but I decided to just stick to Drobo's official word. My solution was to simply suck it up and shell out $299 for the Apple Time Capsule. It wasn't that tough of a pill to swallow since I recently bought an AirPort Extreme that I will return for $199. Basically, I had to spend an extra $100 to get the experience I wanted. I decided to just go for it since I scored my 5D for only $649.99 (no tax/free shipping) from Newegg a couple weeks ago.

My Drobo 5D now only exists for media streaming. Not the most cost-effective streaming solution, but whatever. I'm a Mac guy, I'm used to overpaying in exchange for a smooth, reliable experience. [Image: E0R75cb.gif] If I ever find that I need actual on-demand storage for accessing large files from my host Macs then I'll just buy a dedicated 2-bay NAS for that. Or I suppose I could test the speeds of plugging a USB2 external drive into the back of the Time Capsule, but I'm not holding my breath for solid performance there. [Image: Aqyn77T.gif]

I was hoping to accomplish everything with just the Drobo 5D (or 5N), but it's simply not possible. Oh well.

EDIT: Yep, just tested accessing the networked 5D from a different connection in my home (the one in the media room that streams my movies, go figure). 105 MB/s read and 100 MB/s write. That's... not bad at all, and it basically confirms that the crappy speeds I saw in my office are due to a 100 Mb bottleneck somewhere in my network chain.