Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pre-ordered Drobo 5D
10-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Pre-ordered Drobo 5D
Really disappointed that my unit I pre-ordered Sept 20th has been delayed, but I'm still just as excited to receive it.

After the announced delay I searched for another device to order instead, but there really is no comparable alternative. The closest thing I see are the Pegasus devices which are a less feature-rich choice in my opinion. Besides, I already have my 5x4TB drives, and 128GB mSata for the unit.

I can't wait to put it in action, I hope I'm blown away by the performance.

Drobo 5D - 5x4TB Hitachi - Crucial 128GB m4 mSATA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
RE: Pre-ordered Drobo 5D
welcome to the boards...it sounds like you're almost ready to go,

and while you wait for the unit to arrive, you can sit back, relax, and listen to some cool saxophone music by kennyp

(i mean kennyg) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-12-2012, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 12:07 PM by kennyp.)
(10-12-2012 06:18 AM)Paul Wrote:  welcome to the boards...it sounds like you're almost ready to go,

and while you wait for the unit to arrive, you can sit back, relax, and listen to some cool saxophone music by kennyp

(i mean kennyg) Big Grin

hmm.. yeah kennyg, nickname I haven't heard in a while lol.
Can't wait for my Drobo 5D. I already have a Synology DS1512+ (5x3TB) which I ordered at the same time as the Drobo 5D. The Synology unit is sweet, getting 90-150MB/sec, link agg/jumbo frames, unit is feature-rich. But I plan on using the Drobo 5D as the primary in my home network (when it arrives) and backing up to the Synology. Only the Drobo can do what I need, being a direct-connect, ex/ FCPx, iTunes (videos), etc.

10-17-2012, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 06:52 PM by kennyp.)
The guy on the drobo.com popup chat told me that the Drobo 5D was 'shipping to customers' this week. I see no activity in my Amazon.com order -- it now says 'release date October 31, 2012.' ???

Has anyone here received their Drobo 5D or Drobo Mini yet? Anyone heard of other customers anywhere receiving a unit? I've not heard a peep in my internet searches, haven't seen any performance reviews, etc...

10-18-2012, 07:41 AM
A whole lot of nothing. My Amazon pre-order now says shipping on 10/31.

The only mention I have been able to find about the product on-line is the video 'review' of the Mini that I posted in the Mini thread.

I am a little shocked that Drobo hasn't been seeding reviewers with units.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
10-18-2012, 10:42 AM
(10-18-2012 07:41 AM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  A whole lot of nothing. My Amazon pre-order now says shipping on 10/31.

The only mention I have been able to find about the product on-line is the video 'review' of the Mini that I posted in the Mini thread.

I am a little shocked that Drobo hasn't been seeding reviewers with units.

Yeah, that review is the only info I can find literally anywhere on these units. I'm brand new to Drobo - really looking forward to receiving my Drobo 5D - but what possible reason could Drobo have for this complete silence? I've heard one admin there comment that they're 'short-staffed' right now, and I can imagine they're super busy with this release. I know they're a rather small company (~100 employees or so)... I'm just trying to add things up so it makes sense, but I suppose Drobo veterans are used to this in previous releases?
It reminds me of Apple product releases (in a way), but as long as the product blows me away I'll be happy, and post some nice things about it. Not too much longer now.

10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
actually in the past theyve been launching more products than i could keep up with lol
(just some firmware/upgrades took a while)

maybe for this new launch, they all went out to celebrate the new product and got food poisoning and all became unwell for a few weeks. (which is why a pilot brings his own lunch on a plane) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
(10-19-2012 06:51 AM)Paul Wrote:  actually in the past theyve been launching more products than i could keep up with lol
(just some firmware/upgrades took a while)

maybe for this new launch, they all went out to celebrate the new product and got food poisoning and all became unwell for a few weeks. (which is why a pilot brings his own lunch on a plane) Smile

Hey there Senior Member Paul, care to share any conventional wisdom on why the delays (and complete silence) with this launch? With something I so anticipated, I'll be honest I'm starting to get a bad taste in my mouth. By complete silence I mean the complete lack of reviews, first looks, any sign that a normal user anywhere has received one(?) The blogs/updates on drobo.com are useless...
Thanks for letting me vent, any insight would certainly be appreciated.

10-31-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing that they're doing more stress and performance testing under various conditions.

I, for one, would like to know how much life I would get from a typical MLC SATA drive.
I know "normal" usage on even an MLC drive with intelligent wear-leveling is years, but Drobo is using it differently from "normal" as it's a cache.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
11-01-2012, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 11:16 AM by rdo.)
Drobo Inc. seems to prioritize "getting things done" over communication.

It's possible that the 5D is a dog, but it's also possible that they're trying to scale up manufacturing to meet demand, or maybe they're holding up shipment until a bug is fixed and every unit is updated. Or maybe the factory exploded, burned, and sank into a swamp.

This seems like business as usual for Drobo. I wouldn't read too much into the silence...yet. Smile

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown