Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Mini on PC over Thunderbolt?
09-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Drobo Mini on PC over Thunderbolt?
After several years of running two other Drobo devices, a few days ago I bought a Drobo Mini for use on my Thunderbolt-equipped PC notebook.

I could only get drive to work using a USB 3.0 connection so today I spent some time on the Drobo website and found this link stating that Thunderbolt isn't supported with Windows.

Is there really no work-around to this? It's very disappointing since I bought both the Drobo Mini and the new notebook specifically to use the combo over a Thunderbolt connection.

[L]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2013, 05:47 PM
RE: Drobo Mini on PC over Thunderbolt?
Ouch.
Well, the site that Drobo links to lists several Personal Computers that run Windows and officially work with Thunderbolt.

There are a few connection types that Drobo doesn't seem to play well with. I even had a Drobo S that kept dropping off my Windows XP computer, when a 4-bay Drobo and every other USB drive was fine. Maybe this is "just one of those things."
If Drobo won't work with Thunderbolt and Windows, I guess you can ask for a refund.

Either way, good luck.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Thunderbolt on Windows is going to be like Firewire on Windows...

You'd think at least Intel would write drivers.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
09-29-2013, 09:06 PM
From what I understand it's a driver issue involving the Drobo Mini and Thunderbolt, not Thunderbolt itself. The laptop supports it (though I haven't tried any other Thunderbolt devices with it yet).

If I can't use it, it'll be returned.

Thanks guys.

[L]
10-01-2013, 05:18 AM
hi frosty,
i had an esata / iscsi port on my laptop but the windows drivers werent working properly (maybe a conflict with the microsoft iscsi initiator) so i simply use my Drobo-S with usb3 and it works perfectly.

can i ask what you are planning on using the drobo mini for? maybe usb3 will be quick enough for you too?

(either way, i hope you stay with us, and if you excuse the Aliens joke, "watch those corners, and stay frosty" Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Heavy photo editing where every once of speed makes a difference (since a second here and there is multiplied thousands of times).

I'm rethinking what how I'm doing what I'm doing, but I bought this new setup to run the Drobo Mini on Thunderbolt and now that isn't possible.

Until now I've used a mirrored drive enclosure on eSATA as my work drive. I'll run some benchmarks to see how the Drobo Mini running on USB 3 compares.

As an aside, I'm a bit alarmed by all the negative commentary about Drobo devices when I Google for reviews. My two Drobo devices (Drobo 2 + Drobo S) have been working well for me for a few years, but all those comments are giving me anxiety. Big Grin

[L]
10-02-2013, 07:39 AM
i've seen those too, i tried to add a comment on the register website about good drobo experiences but they removed it lol

for peace of mind, go to raoulpops website and read all his drobo articles and comments - it will make you feel happy again - after all it was mainly that website, this website (originally), and a friendly nudge in the right direction from docchris that persuaded me to get a drobo, and like you, i have the same other 2 devices as well and all good Smile

btw i often say it and if you do a search on the term "quickpar" in this forum, (no quotes), it might be useful for you if you work with photos. usually it's good to use it on master originals, final outputs, and really works perfectly to protect from image corruption, or accidental deletion, or bitflips (as neilR puts it)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm just a little leery now of what happens IF something goes wrong. Which it seems to have today. (I'll start another post about that.)

I'm not clear on what the benefit of using Quickpar would be in my case. I have my photos backed up on two Drobos in different locations plus either the Drobo Mini (once it's all set up) or a mirrored RAID.

[L]
10-03-2013, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 12:57 PM by rdo.)
If your backup system identifies data-level changes, good. If it lets you "go back" to before the change happened, that's great.
I found that Retrospect and CrashPlan validate data. tar and (by default) rsync do not. Unison does.

If you have just an offsite copy of whatever data was on your Drobo at a certain point in time, that will probably not identify data corruption.

This is why I don't consider things like DropBox a real backup system. More copies of today's data don't get you to last week.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
10-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Ah, I see. Definitely something for me to think over.

Thank you.

[L]