Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1st look review of Mini
10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
1st look review of Mini
http://revision3.com/geekbeatreviews/dro...http://revision3.com/geekbeatreviews/drobo-mini-hands-on-

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 06:38 AM
RE: 1st look review of Mini
(featuring cali lewis from the drobo video tutorials) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-10-2012, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 12:55 PM by diamondsw.)
Some disorganized thoughts on the disorganized video:
  • It really is disorganized - they rambled all over the place seemingly without any outline of where they were headed next.
  • The carrying case has no handle, at least from the angles I saw. So it's more a protective case than something that will help you carry it effectively.
  • A bit odd that the power supply is that small, yet wasn't integrated into the Mini itself.
  • However, a locking power plug is VERY smart for a device like this.
  • Glad to hear that Drobo is shipping quieter fans - hopefully they've gotten the message and will do the same for their larger units.
  • Glad to hear it boots in less than an eon, although I wonder if that's just because it's a direct-attach unit and doesn't have to boot a secondary OS like my DroboFS does.
  • I had to chuckle at mention of the Drobo being "fast". That's not something that's been said of their previous models, certainly.
  • He also seems oddly impressed at basics like Thunderbolt daisy chaining and such - but again, it's disorganized. Doesn't mention the interface until very late, doesn't mention any of the capabilities (throughput, daisy-chaining, etc). Just... odd.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
10-11-2012, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 06:47 AM by Paul.)
i was only able to see up to where they opened the back/bottom and inserted an ssd, (after that the video/website had problems and i couldnt see the rest will try another time.

one thought on the powersupply though diamond, is it probably helps reduce heat build up if it's outside the mini (and probably helps to keep it smaller since theres probably more (space) needed around it for airflow.
double post lol

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-11-2012, 11:17 AM
(10-10-2012 12:54 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  Some disorganized thoughts on the disorganized video:

I agree on most.

Completely disorganized. Total "whatever happened to pop into their heads at the time."

Right. Travel case rather than carrying case

First thing I wondered about as well. Why isn't the PS built into the unit?

My 1st gen Drobo S is fast. I get @ 80 ~ 90 MB/sec with mixed drives. I'd take that every day. I got @ 40 ~ 50 Meg/sec on FW800 with matched 7200 RPM drives. iSCSI blows. If Drobo came out with a DroboPro with eSATA I'd buy it in an instant.

The reviewers didn't impress me at all. Disorganized. The hot tech girl that wasn't glamorous and the hip old guy with the printed T is tired an cliched. I realize they didn't want to get into the techno weeds but not knowing the bascis of some tech was disappointing.
10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
(10-11-2012 11:17 AM)dpuett Wrote:  [..]
First thing I wondered about as well. Why isn't the PS built into the unit?
[..]

Especially given the fact there was a prototype with a PSU built-in at some stage as could clearly be seen on a photo in one of the early announcements on some tech portal.

A few random theories of mine:
  • Interference problems. Switching-mode power supplies can get noisy. Maybe they had some problems protecting the adjacent logic circuitry (and/or HDDs' circuitries) from the interference coming from power supply's high voltage switching circuitry.
  • Some troubles getting an FCC/CE certification, possibly related to the above
  • Bragging rights. "Look how small and light this Drobo is! What do you mean the brick... oh, this? This doesn't count!" Wink
  • Possible future accessory offerings like a battery pack for full-on mobile operation, maybe? Ok, this may be a bit of a stretch but who knows?
10-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I probably wouldn't care... except then I look over at my Mac Mini, which managed to ditch the brick just fine.

/me looks askance at Drobo Mini

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
(10-12-2012 01:42 PM)Zbig Wrote:  Especially given the fact there was a prototype with a PSU built-in at some stage as could clearly be seen on a photo in one of the early announcements on some tech portal.
I'll add 120/240V differences as possibilities as well.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
10-13-2012, 04:45 AM
(10-12-2012 04:15 PM)bhiga Wrote:  I'll add 120/240V differences as possibilities as well.

Possibly but most of the SMPSes I've seen and used recently are rated for 100 - 240V, 50-60Hz
10-19-2012, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2012 02:08 AM by paraprod.)
Yea, quite why they use this woman is beyond me. Have to turn it off after a few seconds, she's just so annoying. Drobo doesn't appear to be aimed at the average teenager so why use these people?