Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
mSATA Compatibility List
11-25-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: mSATA Compatibility List
hi nathan,
if you dont think you can recover all your money on the 256, then probably best to keep it.
in theory the more you can cache, the quicker it will be.

do you have any more info on what sort of things you use your drobo for, at the high level?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi Paul,

Yea that's what I'm thinking at this point as well. I mean it can't hurt right? Also I'm the type that once I buy something like that I rarely would upgrade later, so might as well get the fastest now. I just wish there were a little more info on the site or on the knowledge base about the mSATA drives.

I do a lot of video editing (Final Cut and Avid) as well as after effects and Pro Tools work. So far the only thing it's really choked on is multicam playback in Final Cut X (4 angles of 1080p footage 'optimized' by final cut x). I haven't had a chance to test out After Effects/Avid/Final Cut 7 (the real one lol). Right now I'm just running it with 2 of the WD Red 3 TB drives over a thunderbolt connection. The 256gig mSATA should be here sometime this week so I'll try to run some tests with and without.
(11-25-2012 08:25 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi nathan,
if you dont think you can recover all your money on the 256, then probably best to keep it.
in theory the more you can cache, the quicker it will be.

do you have any more info on what sort of things you use your drobo for, at the high level?
11-26-2012, 08:21 AM
The larger the cache, the more "stuff" there is to manage, so there must be an optimal range with regard to how much memory the Drobo has.

If I had a 256 GB SSD I'd replace my OS drive with it. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
11-26-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 11:34 AM by rdo.)
(11-26-2012 08:21 AM)bhiga Wrote:  The larger the cache, the more "stuff" there is to manage, so there must be an optimal range

The caching mechanism is almost certainly tuned for a target use case and SSD size (which will work fine for other sizes, but less efficiently.) It looks like Drobo has tuned for 64GB. This tuning would mostly or entirely be in software, meaning that Drobo could change it in an update.

For example, the caching daemon might have a fixed-size hashed lookup table that can store 32k objects of up to 4MB each. In this hypothetical situation, the Drobo could reference up to 128GB of space, but a typical use case might reach the 32k object limit rather sooner.

In the military, they say that "no plan survives contact with the enemy." In my experience with Linux performance tuning, results are highly dependent on actual usage. Ultimately, you must choose some conditions to design for (either the expected case or something "in the middle of the curve"), and mitigate the inefficiencies for other cases.

edit: If the SSD does wear-levelling, a 256GB drive that's 1/4 full would last much longer and perform at full speed better than a 64GB drive that's full. I expect the larger card would have benefits; it's just unclear how much benefit.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Hmmm...but what about the write speed of the larger drive? Crucial's 64 gig mSATA is listed as 95 MB/sec while the 256 has a 260 MB/sec (read speeds are the same on both 500 mb/sec). I wonder if that has any effect on overal performance?
11-27-2012, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 03:38 AM by Zbig.)
(11-26-2012 09:37 AM)rdo Wrote:  edit: If the SSD does wear-levelling, a 256GB drive that's 1/4 full would last much longer and perform at full speed better than a 64GB drive that's full. I expect the larger card would have benefits; it's just unclear how much benefit.

According to Wikipedia, SSD controllers employ "static wear levelling", meaning that all of the flash blocks are being rotated to equalize their "write count", regardless of whether actually being written to by the OS or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear-levell...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear-levelling#Static_wea
11-27-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 04:58 PM by Sevenfeet.)
(11-26-2012 10:57 PM)nathanmanley Wrote:  Hmmm...but what about the write speed of the larger drive? Crucial's 64 gig mSATA is listed as 95 MB/sec while the 256 has a 260 MB/sec (read speeds are the same on both 500 mb/sec). I wonder if that has any effect on overal performance?

Is the pope Catholic?

I'm sure that having an mSATA driver rated at 95 MB/sec writes is going to make a difference. But writing at nearly three times that speed has got to have tangible benefits. My company makes million dollar+ enterprise servers and we use lots of the best flash available to goose our read/write speeds.

The Drobo 5D may have its read/write routines optimized for a 64 MB flash cache, but you'll never go wrong with faster write speeds. It could make a difference in some of those high bandwidth video applications. I do doubt that it will make any difference in that Final Cut X playback scenario you mentioned...you may have just reached the limits of what the Drobo 5D + the 3 TB drives can do.
11-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Yea, I mean I'm not expecting miracles but poking around here and on the drobo site I'm realizing that right now it's at the slowest it could be (only 2 drives, no mSATA) and it still works pretty well so it's all good. I only really use multiclips for stuff like concerts. Anyways, I'll be sure to update when I get the mSata and add some more drives in there.
11-28-2012, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012 07:27 AM by Paul.)
(sot-slightly off topic...)

but i guess for your company sevenfeet, that goose really "has" laid the golden egg Smile

(also makes me wonder how many dvds require multiangles that are actually used... unless you're producing saucy ones nathan lol Big Grin
(actually if you have the ability of trying the same 4-angle test once you get the msata, it would be useful to see how much difference it makes)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Ha! No nothing so devious Paul. Typical use case for multiclip/multi angle playback in FCP is something like a concert or music video. If I film a concert with 3 cameras, I sync all the videos with the recorded sound, then you can playback all angles at once and do a quick rough cut by selecting angles as you playback. Later you would go back in and tweak the cuts but it's a super fast way to get a good rough version going.

I've never even tried to make a dvd with that choose your own angle stuff...I know it's possible but I've never heard of anyone actually using it.

(11-28-2012 07:25 AM)Paul Wrote:  (sot-slightly off topic...)

but i guess for your company sevenfeet, that goose really "has" laid the golden egg Smile

(also makes me wonder how many dvds require multiangles that are actually used... unless you're producing saucy ones nathan lol Big Grin
(actually if you have the ability of trying the same 4-angle test once you get the msata, it would be useful to see how much difference it makes)