Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
mSATA Compatibility List
09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
mSATA Compatibility List
Has anyone seen the hardware compatibility list for the 5D's mSATA slot? I'm waiting to receive my new Drobo and am interested in checking out prices, etc for populating that particular drive...up until now though it has been radio silence for what will work. Anyone heard differently?

Drobo 5D, hopefully soon!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 11:41 AM
RE: mSATA Compatibility List
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/664

mSATA SSDs that have been tested to be compatible:

Crucial m4 mSATA

Kingston mS100

OCZ Deneva 2 for Drobo (only available on DroboStore.com)

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
09-28-2012, 11:50 AM
(09-28-2012 11:41 AM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/664

mSATA SSDs that have been tested to be compatible:

Crucial m4 mSATA

Kingston mS100

OCZ Deneva 2 for Drobo (only available on DroboStore.com)

Thank you! I hadn't been out there to the Q & A in a while; makes sense that is out there now that we are so close to the launch.

Drobo 5D, hopefully soon!
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
In perhaps a slightly unrelated note...

Can anyone surmise the durability of a mSATA SSD used in a 5D/Mini application?

I know there has been a lot of chatter about 'to TRIM or not to TRIM' regarding SSD's. How does the Drobo OS handle the presence of an 'accelerator'? Especially when they mention specifically that Sandforce controllers are not supported. OS X and Win7 support the TRIM command. Does the Drobo pass this along? Ignore it?

I have a Crucial m4 64GB mSATA SSD waiting in the bag for my 5D, but I am wondering. Should I plan to replace it in 12 months? 24?

TIA.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Spam making it through the filter. It's been a minor problem for a while. At least folks aren't getting auto-banned like they used to.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
11-08-2012, 04:39 AM
(11-07-2012 11:17 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  Spam making it through the filter. It's been a minor problem for a while. At least folks aren't getting auto-banned like they used to.

Ah yes, of course. Thanks.

Drobo 5D - 5x4TB Hitachi - Crucial 128GB m4 mSATA
11-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Finally got my 5d and am installing the 5 4Tb drives now. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there any advantage to getting say a 256gb mSATA over a 64gig one? I seem to remember reading there was not, but is that something that could change in the future?

2. Occasionally I will want to hook the unit up to a PC via USB 3 and software like Macdrive (or similar) to read and write data to the hfs partition. What kind of problems might I encounter with this, and is there a performance hit other than it being USB 3 and not thunderbolt?

Thanks!
11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Drobo Dashboard shows a Life Expectancy for the MSATA. Right now mine says HEALTH 100%. Still, haven't seen much improvements over using the SATA or not.

Drobo Dashboard should at least show some kind of statistics as to how many GBs have been accessed from/to the cache, so we could at least know it's working somehow.
11-22-2012, 06:57 PM
(11-17-2012 05:55 PM)fxguy Wrote:  Finally got my 5d and am installing the 5 4Tb drives now. I have a couple of questions.

Is there any advantage to getting say a 256gb mSATA over a 64gig one? I seem to remember reading there was not, but is that something that could change in the future?

I had the same question. My response from a Drobo Senior Architect:

"We recommend a 64GB mSATA card for both the Mini and 5D. Our engineers
have determined this offers the best performance mix based on today's hard
drive sizes and usage patterns.

We frequently update the URL below with drives that have been tested and
certified by Drobo.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/664"

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Same question here. It would be really helpful if they addressed this somewhere. I actually just ordered the 256 gig from crucial based on their response, but now I'm wondering if I wasted my money and should just stick with the 64 gig. Here was their response to my question about mSata speed and size differences:

Quote:You can find more information, including performance test results with, and without an mSATA card, at the link below.

http://www.drobo.com/how-it-works/perfor...http://www.drobo.com/how-it-works/performance-professional.php

As far as the size, and speed of the mSATA drive, size simply allows more data to be cached on the card. There's not much speed difference between the different sizes of card. Crucial is the only one that makes a card bigger than 64 GB. The read speeds on the 128, and 256 GB models from Crucial are the same as the 64 GB, but the write speeds are increased along with the size.

The link below details the cards we've tested, and found to be fully compatible with the Drobo 5D, and Mini. You can follow the links to the manufacturers websites for specifics on each of their cards with regards to the size, and speed of each one.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66

Regards,

Travis P.
Technical Support Agent

I took this to mean that the larger the mSata, the more it can cache...so that should overall be faster. Do any of you have info that says this is not the case? If I could save $150 that would be sweet, but I figured on the big one since it seemed like a bit better performance. Any thoughts?