Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running Disk Utility/DiskWarrior on my 5D would take close to 12 hours
08-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Running Disk Utility/DiskWarrior on my 5D would take close to 12 hours
Hi all,

first of all: all disks in my 5D are green and I have zero problems with it right now.
I have 4x2TB and 1x1,5 TB plus a Crucial SSD 64 GB installed

I just now wanted to run a maintenance "Verify/Repair Disk" on my 5D with Apple Disk Utility. It turns out, that this seems to be a weekend task, as the ETA keeps jumping up (from 2 minutes to 6 hours to 8 hours, etc.)

Likewise, when I try Disk Warrior on the same 5D, it reports "speed reduced due to disk malfunction", and that error is repeated several times. Needless to say, the rebuild process would take several hours to complete.

Is this normal?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: Running Disk Utility/DiskWarrior on my 5D would take close to 12 hours
No. Disk Utility on my 5x3TB 5D takes about 10 minutes (assuming no errors found).

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
(08-30-2013 07:52 AM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  No. Disk Utility on my 5x3TB 5D takes about 10 minutes (assuming no errors found).

That's odd. It takes a lot longer here, but Disk Utility reports no error at the end. Strange...
08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
It'll largely depend on how much data and how many files/directories are on your volume.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
08-30-2013, 08:56 AM
(08-30-2013 08:43 AM)bhiga Wrote:  It'll largely depend on how much data and how many files/directories are on your volume.

Disk Warrior reports a couple of broken text encodings, but refuses to rebuild the directory due to disk malfunction. I guess, DW is not really compatible with Drobos. That's a pity actually, because DW saved many lives - in my IT life, at least.
08-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Aside from block-level verification and recovery (due to Drobo's virtualization of the storage "behind" the blocks), Disk Warrior should work to check the filesystem consistency.

IIRC Drobo has recommended it in the past when Disk Repair hasn't worked.

08-30-2013, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2013 10:07 AM by ovq.)
(08-30-2013 09:38 AM)bhiga Wrote:  Aside from block-level verification and recovery (due to Drobo's virtualization of the storage "behind" the blocks), Disk Warrior should work to check the filesystem consistency.

IIRC Drobo has recommended it in the past when Disk Repair hasn't worked.

Well, it dosen't for me. If I select my drobo and click [Rebuild], DW starts but then I get several "speed reduced due to disk malfunction" errors. It takes some hours before it shows results.
The results are harmless though, only some text encoding errors, but still, I can't rebuild the drive, because of the "disk malfunction".

So at the end, Drobo comes nicely out of testing, but something still seems to be odd.

...running on current software, 10.8.4 and Disk Warrior 4.4
08-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Just for sanity's sake, I would try using a different port and cable.

08-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Information RE: Running Disk Utility/DiskWarrior on my 5D would take close to 12 hours
[font=Times New Roman][/font]
(08-30-2013 02:03 PM)bhiga Wrote:  Just for sanity's sake, I would try using a different port and cable.

Long story here, but a direct response to your suggestion at the end—take a deep breath!

I have been trying to back up my ailing MacBook Pro HD to a disk image on my Drobo. I couldn't ever finish the task. Apparently as the Drobo neared its maximum capacity, the app I was using to create the backup disk image on the Drobo slowed to a crawl, or the Drobo itself slowed to a crawl trying to find spaces for the data. This persisted after multiple attempts over several days.

So I removed GB of unneeded data on the Drobo and tried the clone drive to disk image on the Drobo again. Again, the routine failed, and this last time Drive Genius 3's Drive Pulse menu item reported a number of bad blocks on the Drobo. One of the Drobo's drives also started giving me the red light warning. At least no foreboding drive noises—yet.

I powered the Drobo down to do some cable reconfiguring so I could work on some other projects via external HDs on FW800 while trying to run a block repair utility on the Drobo. When Drobo came back up, there was no red drive warning light! I tried to run Disk Warrior but got errors similar to what's reported here.

I powered the Drobo down again, reordered the hard drives (just for chuckles) and powered it on. After four days of data protection rebuilding (orange flashing lights), again no red light on a Drobo hard drive. No more warnings from Drive Genius, though I would expect this because I wasn't writing massive GBs of data to the Drobo.

I've tried to run several disk utilities to check for bad blocks on the Drobo drives.

Disk Tools Pro (the fastest) will inadvertently lock up after running for 24 hours or so (and this only covers about 7% of the Drobo, which is loaded with four 2TB drives).

I thought maybe Drive Genius 3's block check might work; it was way slower than Disk Tools Pro (I think it has a more extensive routine than Disk Tools Pro), and I had to reboot my laptop because of a software update and abort the Disk Tools Pro run. I think it had only gone through 0.7% of the Drobo space after running for over 24 hours.

After that, remembered having recently read a Drobo FAQ webpage that suggested booting off the Disk Warrior DVD and having the Drobo plugged in directly to the computer via USB to get around the non-rebuilding index issue.

I am going to attempt this in a little while and see what happens. Maybe if I can at least rebuild the directory I can resume running a program to check for bad blocks.

I'm also considering pulling each drive out of the Drobo, putting it into a Voyager Q external enclosure and running the block check on each disk separately, eventually putting all four drives back into the Drobo.

Don't know if this interferes with the Drobo's built-in housekeeping. Figure the worst might be having to endure the 4-day-long Drobo automatic data protection routine again.

(Feel free to advise if you have any experience doing this or if you know: does the Drobo data protection routine itself weed out bad blocks?)

Bottom line is I still haven't been able to complete my original project: clone internal HD to disk image on Drobo. I'm wary of the Drobo now until I can clear up the bugs. [Should be noted that the Drobo is working fine as far as reading/writing small amounts of data.]

I will post back, especially concerning running Disk Warrior in the above-mentioned configuration.
08-31-2013, 02:59 PM
(08-30-2013 04:52 PM)oirudleahcim Wrote:  I'm also considering pulling each drive out of the Drobo, putting it into a Voyager Q external enclosure and running the block check on each disk separately, eventually putting all four drives back into the Drobo.
does the Drobo data protection routine itself weed out bad blocks?

Your last sentence is a key point: Drobo, like most or all RAID, rebuilds data when it detects a bad block. (Technically, the drive electronics will automatically retry after an Unrecoverable Write Error. It's the Unrecoverable Read Errors that get you.)

Without parity information, the unreadable block will be mapped to a spare sector (and probably written as blank), and parity will no longer match. RAID controllers manage data as a set. It's generally a poor idea to alter data on members of a RAID set while it's offline, because the set will become invalid and you can't assume the controller will figure it out.

If you want to retain data from bad blocks, then you could open a support ticket with Drobo and ask them to tell you of any problems. The diagnostic log will show if a disk is reporting bad blocks or is timing out.

Your Drobo doesn't sound happy. Good luck.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown