Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lock the forums like they were before but...
08-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Lock the forums like they were before but...
How about locking the forums like they were but have a single section where visitors can ask questions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Lock the forums like they were before but...
(08-26-2013 04:26 PM)dpuett Wrote:  How about locking the forums like they were but have a single section where visitors can ask questions?

Interesting, thank you for your post. We received a lot of negative feedback when the forums were locked - I am interested to hear what others have to say?
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure how locking would help, aside from possibly keeping the spammers to one section. But that might be even worse since it would be more likely to completely overrun the subject list.

At the end of the day, any sort of locking/hiding, even on a limited basis will likely have the conspiracy theorists saying "They just hide/censor/move the bad stuff."

Goal-wise, getting answers to pre-sales questions as well as addressing post-sales concerns is most important.
A FAQ section or sticky thread would be useful.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
The problem with locked forums is there's no way to make an informed decision about buying the product - you can't find out about problems and experiences until after you've bought it and entered with a serial number.

The Akismet spam filtering Drobo employs has been a massive failure for years. I've made numerous simple suggestions (mostly around community-based flagging and quarantining), but Drobo hasn't shown any interest in addressing the problem. So we deal with it, and in my case at least, visit and post a lot less.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
09-03-2013, 08:51 AM
(08-29-2013 01:03 PM)bhiga Wrote:  I'm not sure how locking would help, aside from possibly keeping the spammers to one section. But that might be even worse since it would be more likely to completely overrun the subject list.

At the end of the day, any sort of locking/hiding, even on a limited basis will likely have the conspiracy theorists saying "They just hide/censor/move the bad stuff."

Goal-wise, getting answers to pre-sales questions as well as addressing post-sales concerns is most important.
A FAQ section or sticky thread would be useful.

Hello bhiga,
Thank you for your comments. Interested to hear what types of pre-questions would be helpful here in the forums.
09-04-2013, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 05:06 AM by Paul.)
hi what about introducing more IP analysis tools to search for throttling, and also adding dual captcha's, and for new people, how about adding a little code module that works in the same way as a forum Retrieve Password feature?

eg, whenever a new person posts, the system emails them asking them to click and enter a capture to confirm that they are really human and still wanting to post.

that way, for every spam the spammers post, they have to receive a spam equivalent, and take action.
(and those who really want to participate here, will make the effort im sure, especially if theres a little note on the registration email/page to say something about it: eg

"sorry for the extra email but due to recent spam we are trying to combat it a little bit more effectively and hope you understand" etc

+

i think you can use the "who's online?" server log's, to see which users/ip's are trying each and every forum section, and "failing" to post due to permissions, and simply block them or something similar.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:16 PM by bhiga.)
(09-03-2013 08:51 AM)DroboMod Wrote:  Interested to hear what types of pre-questions would be helpful here in the forums.
Common pre-sales questions include...
  • What kind of performance should I expect from Drobo?
    Yes, I know this one is difficult to answer...
  • Is Drobo suited for (insert application)
    • Video editing
      Maybe...
    • Storing my iTunes library
      Maybe if you have a 5N or 5D???
    • Storing my photos
      Sure.
  • Can I install my own apps on my 5N?
    Is ricardo your friend?
  • What happens to my data if my Drobo breaks?
  • Do I need to have active DroboCare to contact support?
  • Can I sync the contents of two Drobos together?
  • Can I sync the contents of Drobo with cloud storage?
  • How does Drobo work with Transporter?
  • How does Drobo really differ from traditional RAID and other DAS/NAS solutions?
  • Does Drobo protect my data from disaster?
    Only from single or dual (in DDR mode) drive failure.
    Drobo will not protect your data from malware, human error, OS corruption, lightning storms, Newtonian force damage including gravity, electrical shorts, or curiously destructive pets and toddlers, among other things.
    There is no substitute for having a physically separate, backup copy of your data, preferrably off-site.
  • Can I daisy-chain my Thunderbolt Drobo with other Thunderbolt devices?
I'm sure the list could get quite lengthy, but those are the ones that directly pop into my mind. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
09-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Hey! I can answer one of those!

(09-04-2013 09:48 AM)bhiga Wrote:  Is ricardo your friend?

Sure, why not? I'm a pretty easy going guy. Big Grin

(09-04-2013 09:48 AM)bhiga Wrote:  How does Drobo work with Transporter?

I would love to read the answer to that one too.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
The problem with locking the forum is twofold (as mentioned above):
First - it makes it look like Drobo has something to hide.
Second - it makes it impossible to ask questions or get feedback prior to purchase.

When Drobo first started selling, the forums were open and I came here to see what was going on. Saw lots of complaints of slow transfer speeds and other teething issues with the original units and then the forums were suddenly blocked to us non-owners. I can say that when that happened it put me off from going anywhere near Drobo despite many glowing reviews out there.

Once I did finally decide to dip my feet in the Drobo waters, I was still reluctant to make the purchase given the locked forums. I also made sure I bought from a store with a liberal return policy 'just in case'. The purchase was put off a lot longer and was done with heavy reservations in large part to the forums being inaccessible until AFTER you bought.