Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Reviews
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: Reviews
I think Paul is on the right track, based on the comments here:

http://blog.drobo.com/?p=1545&cpage=1#comment-1176

Nothing conclusive though. Sad Not easy finding important answers for this product.

1st Gen / 2nd Gen / FS / 5N (2)
Mac OS X 10, Win7, Win 10
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2012, 07:31 AM
yes im only basing it on experience when writing a few big files onto drives/usb, vs the same amount of MB but in lots of smaller file quantities. (the fewer, larger files always seem to transfer much more quickly as i believe there's less overhead in file allocation table updates etc)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Well, it looks like a small mSATA drive is all you need. That's not a lot of money (~$50) for potentially a nice bump in acceleration (I'm assuming on write speeds).
11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Couple of minor updates to add based on the Live Demo I was on last week.
- they indicated 64GB was "all you need at this point" for best mSATA benefit. He said that when file sizes and resolution densities exceeding 1080P become routine, then maybe there would be benefit to bumping up, but they are recommending 64GB as the right play.

- regarding the ports, I asked whether the USB3 port was powered such that you could attach a card reader to it (ie, if you have a 2011 iMac with TB and only USB2...). He said no unfortunately. He further indicated that the USB3 port was basically an option for use, but that using the TB ports would render it inoperable. Must be a dedicated line just for Drobo usage only, apparently. Don't know why this would be the case but that's the story.

- his live demo testing was very impressive. They had a test moving a folder holding. 32,000 files, 4k apiece, and it chewed thru that with ease.

- they do indicate the obvious best speed play is to have your OS and Apps on an internal SSD, and to use the 5D as your scratch disk, as well as for archiving.

- I asked about Time Machine, whether it was feasible to also use the same 5d for that, and he said yes, but there's a process indicated on their Knowledge Base regarding setting up a Sparse Bundle so the 5D doesn't confuse itself and mistakenly fill up all the HDDs with duplicates. I am no tech support, but I have seen those TM files referenced as a progressive series of files, totaling over 40TB even when housed on a 2TB time capsule, so it is apparently a database referencing issue to manage, not a physical space constraint. In any event, he referenced their Knowledge Base for a procedure to support TM for those so inclined.

Finally, I asked about shipping times, and he said Sandy did interfere with Amazon shipments, where my pre order has been waiting. I saw several smaller retailers post availability this week, thru Amazon, and in fact I cancelled my pre-order when Amazon finally posted their own inventory without shipping mine. So I am still not in receipt of my 5d but it is confirmed ordered and should arrive end of next week.

I am going with 5 Seagate Barracuda XTs, 3TB ea, and a Crucial mSATA 64GB. Now, if Apple will just release the new iMac 27" with the new GPU, Fusion drive, and USB3, all will be right with the world, and my Nikon D800 & Canon XA10 will be very happy.
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 06:08 PM by Zbig.)
(11-10-2012 08:30 AM)Redirector Wrote:  - regarding the ports, I asked whether the USB3 port was powered such that you could attach a card reader to it (ie, if you have a 2011 iMac with TB and only USB2...). He said no unfortunately. He further indicated that the USB3 port was basically an option for use, but that using the TB ports would render it inoperable. Must be a dedicated line just for Drobo usage only, apparently. Don't know why this would be the case but that's the story.

Just to add my two cents: that's hardly a surprise - I wouldn't expect anything else. No offence but what you wished/hoped for doesn't make much sense. That's how the interfaces work. Drobo won't magically become a USB controller and turn its upstream USB port into a downstream USB port, allowing you to connect random stuff willy-nilly, just because you happen to use TB at the moment. It's way more complicated than that and not a simple matter of a USB port being "powered". It's perfectly clear that USB is there as an alternative interface for connecting Drobo to a computer. And as for Apple ignoring the existence of USB 3.0 standard up until 2012... well, hardly a Drobo's fault either...
11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Chill man, it's the Internet...

USB host and USB client are different in software and often hardware too. That's what makes it quite impressive (or confusing) when something like a smartphone can use a single port in either mode.

As I understand it on Mac OS up to Lion at least (not sure about Mountain Lion), there is no OS-native support for USB 3.0 and third-party controllers use proprietary drivers, which means you'd be running USB 2.0 until the OS was up-and-running at least.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I have a 5D with 5 x 3TB drives and a 1 x 64GB mSATA. If you'd like to have me perform some specific functions for your interest, I'm happy to do so. Just let me know what you'd like to know. I'm on an iMac Intel Core i7 3.4 Ghz with Win 7 bootcamp.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 03:29 PM by diamondsw.)
(11-14-2012 06:25 PM)Redirector Wrote:  Why bother with the No Offence... You are clearly offended. No wonder this forum is dead. Bugger off.

This forum is far from dead - it has major spam problems which we all wish Drobo would solve once and for all - but it's very lively. And the attitude is neither welcome here or appreciated.

You're also misinformed about how USB works. With extremely rare exceptions, USB devices are either a host or a device - computers are hosts with the brains (as USB requires a CPU to manage the connection, unlike Firewire which could perform point-to-point transfers unaided), and most everything else is a device, like the Drobo. That's why computers all use Type A ports and devices use some variant on Type B (normal, mini, or micro - although the 5D uses a straight USB 3.0 B port). Type A is the host connector, and Type B is the device connector.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash