Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two machines
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Question Two machines
Does anyone know if you can use on 2 different machines, I would like to download my music from my music service to my main desktop, then take mini drobo with me on the road and use it with my laptop, Thus only having to keep the mini current.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: Two machines
I used my Drobo in much that way with two different WinXP computers, and had no trouble at all. I installed DashBoard on each, to monitor status and such. When the Drobo wasn't connected, it was just as if I had removed a regular external hard drive, and I just left DashBoard running because it did no harm.

Do your desktop and your laptop run the same OS? Will they connect using the same type of port (USB or Thunderbolt)?

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
07-04-2013, 06:14 AM
(07-03-2013 11:13 PM)rdo Wrote:  I used my Drobo in much that way with two different WinXP computers, and had no trouble at all. I installed DashBoard on each, to monitor status and such. When the Drobo wasn't connected, it was just as if I had removed a regular external hard drive, and I just left DashBoard running because it did no harm.

Do your desktop and your laptop run the same OS? Will they connect using the same type of port (USB or Thunderbolt)?

Desktop is osx,laptop could be Win 8 (64 bit) or older Mac running tiger
07-04-2013, 07:40 AM
OSX Tiger? Wow! I guess those G3 PowerBooks never die. Smile

What filesystem would you use? OSX can read NTFS, but cannot write to it (without third-party tools). Windows cannot even read HFS+ (without third-party tools). FAT32 is compatible with both, but is vulnerable to data loss, and scales really badly to large volume sizes.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Plan on downloading from Mac osx (Snow Lep) ,And Running Windows 8 on new laptop if it will read ,
If not , I will get a used mac pro laptop to run Snow Lep . Just don't want to corrupt mini drobo moving it back and forth for current music downloads.