Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cannot copy data on my Drobo 5 firewire 800 on Mac OsX
05-12-2017, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 10:54 AM by claudef.)
Cannot copy data on my Drobo 5 firewire 800 on Mac OsX
Hello, i have a big problem cause I cannot copy any data on my Drobo 5 firewire 800 on Mac OS X operating system (Sierra 10.12.4). I make recently a update of the Drobo dashboard software in 3.01. And I have version 2.1.5 [5.41.62910] of the micro program inside my Drobo. I cannot understand what happened !? Are there some tips ??? PLEASE HELP !
I will deinstall Drobo dashboard and see what happend...

Claude
MacBook Pro 15" i7 at 2,3GHz with 500 Go SSD and 16Go RAM
Drobo 2 Gen Firewire 800 eSata USB2 + 12 External HD
Mac OS X Sierra
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:49 PM by Paul.)
RE: Cannot copy data on my Drobo 5 firewire 800 on Mac OsX
hi claude,
can i check if your drobo is found by the computer, (and dashboard), but the copy/paste is not working?
or is the drobo not being found by anything anymore?

version 2.1.5 sounds like the firmware of the drobo-s, which seems to be the latest.

if you did recently upgrade your version of dashboard though, maybe the installation did not yet fully take place... in which case you might need to fully shutdown the mac, and to let the drobo-s go into standby mode (which should hopefully happen after a few minutes of shutting down the mac, but you can also try unplugging the data cable after shutting down the mac, if the drobo was still running, and it should then detect this and go into standby mode shortly afterwards)

please note: in case dashboard was still able to see the drobo-s, then it is usually best to use dashboard to shut down the drobo, if possible.

then, after a few minutes, if you power up the computer, and then dashboard, and then the drobo (connecting it up if not connected), what happens now? does the drobo boot up as normal and then after some time becomes recognised by dashboard and the computer again?

in case there are still problems, would you be able to try the same test but this time, before powering things up again, to try swapping firewire for a usb cable, directly connected to the computer if possible, just in case there was an issue with firewire?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Hello Paul !
My Drobo is mounting, but I cannot copy something on this one.
And Mac OsX is telling me that he cannot recover the data on the Drobo...
Yes I have a Drobo with 5 disk and e-Sata/US2/Firewire800 interface. I dont remember the exact name of my Drobo...

I make update in 3.01 version of dashboard... and now I have this problem. I uninstall this 3.01 version and came back to the old one... But always same message...
I stop the Drobo and my Mac but I have always the same message from Mac OsX and I cannot copy something on my Drobo (there is some rond icon with a strait line at 45°) !
I make more time this on/off on my Drobo and Mac... but same problem... always same message... :-(

I will check with a USB cable tomorrow...
thx for all Paul
Claude

(05-12-2017 03:44 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi claude,
can i check if your drobo is found by the computer, (and dashboard), but the copy/paste is not working?
or is the drobo not being found by anything anymore?

version 2.1.5 sounds like the firmware of the drobo-s, which seems to be the latest.

if you did recently upgrade your version of dashboard though, maybe the installation did not yet fully take place... in which case you might need to fully shutdown the mac, and to let the drobo-s go into standby mode (which should hopefully happen after a few minutes of shutting down the mac, but you can also try unplugging the data cable after shutting down the mac, if the drobo was still running, and it should then detect this and go into standby mode shortly afterwards)

please note: in case dashboard was still able to see the drobo-s, then it is usually best to use dashboard to shut down the drobo, if possible.

then, after a few minutes, if you power up the computer, and then dashboard, and then the drobo (connecting it up if not connected), what happens now? does the drobo boot up as normal and then after some time becomes recognised by dashboard and the computer again?

in case there are still problems, would you be able to try the same test but this time, before powering things up again, to try swapping firewire for a usb cable, directly connected to the computer if possible, just in case there was an issue with firewire?

Claude
Mac OS X Sierra
05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
thanks for more info claude, let's see how the usb cable goes, and in case more problems we can try some other things too.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
05-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Hello, the usb is the same problem than firewire... The problem is always there...

Claude
Mac OS X Sierra
05-19-2017, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 06:06 PM by Paul.)
ah thanks for the update claude,

just as a question, i was wondering if you had already tried running any mac maintenance utilities on your drobo?
for example, if you had a spare drive (such as a separate standalone drive, or even enough space on your computer), would you be able to Copy your drobo data, on to the computer, and then once you have a backup, you could then try some of the apple ultitiles (such as disk utility, or cocktail, or even diskwarrior if you have access to that, since that is very good at fixing problems, i think also including some permission issues too)

hopefully you are sitll able to read the data, and in this case having a backup of the data is better before trying any other utilities, just in case they cause more problems, though after a backup if you needed one, maybe some maintenance in this way could help?