Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5D no longer writable
03-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Drobo 5D no longer writable
Hi.

As of Feb 18 my Drobo 5D is no longer writable in macOS Sierra. I get the following message upon mount or restart:

macOS can't repair the disk "Drobo". You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat as soon as you can.

I have upgraded to Dashboard 3.0.1 and Firmware 3.5.2.

I have used the Dashboard shutdown and powered up several times. I have rebooted several times.

System health is Good for the Volume and all disks are listed as Good.

I have a Thunderbolt interface and have an mSATA SSD installed.

What am I supposed to do?

Is there a permission repair option? I'm running macOS Sierra and there is no longer an explicit Repair Permissions function (it's apparently done automatically now, which probably prompted the dialog).

Do I have to backup, reformat the disks, then restore from backup what's on the Drobo 5D now?

Thanks for any guidance.
David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2017, 07:34 PM
RE: Drobo 5D no longer writable
hi david, while i do not have a mac myself, if you get a chance, would you be able to try shutting all down and then seeing if you can connect the 5d via a direct usb cable instead, and then powering all up again, does the same issue still exist?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-24-2017, 02:55 AM
I finally got a USB cable to test this. The same issue persists: I cannot write to the volume. When trying to run Disk First Aid on, I get the following:

When I connect and mount the Drobo 5N volume, I get the following (again):

macOS can’t repair the disk “Drobo”.

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.

When I try to run Disk First Aid I get the following:

Repairing file system.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Invalid key length
The volume Drobo could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 8.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
File system verify or repair failed.
Operation failed…

Any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks, David
03-24-2017, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 09:04 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info david,
i had a look and there is a knowledgebase article here that mentions some steps that can help if a mac loses full permissions: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01454

am not sure if you already have a backup though if there is anything critical it may be worth making a backup (or at least of the most important data) just as a precaution, before trying any of those commands as i have not been able to try them myself,

(in case the issue still remains, if you happene to have access to diskwarrior, it might be worth giving that a go, as it has fixed a lot of mac issues, including other das drobo owners too, though i dont believe its free)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)