Drobo Forums
Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+---- Forum: Drobo 5D (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? (/showthread.php?tid=148091)

Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - libsimpso - 05-15-2017 02:09 PM

I recently replaced a hard drive with a larger capacity drive in one of my 5Ds. I would like to use the drive that was replaced as another capacity booster on my second Drobo, swapping one of the original 3 TB drives for the 4 TB drive that I replaced in my newer 5D.

I assume that the Drobo will re-format the 4 TB drive when I make the swap with the older 3 TB drive. Is that assumption correct?

If the Drobo system does not automatically reformat the swapped drive, how do I go about clearing off one of these NAS drives independent of a Drobo?

I am on a Mac platform.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

RE: Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - Paul - 05-15-2017 04:37 PM

hi libsimpso,
as far as i know, it should be able to assimilate the drive, when hot-swapped. (for example while the unit is on)

it may take a little while, but the drobo and dashboard should detect the change (when the current drive is removed) and also then shortly after the unneeded replacement is put in, and then should either assimilate and/or rebuild.

if it does appear to not start rebuilding, please do try to allow plenty of time here, as in a few cases i remember seeing that it only started about several hours later.

RE: Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - libsimpso - 05-16-2017 09:11 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

You mention it will work when hot swapped. Will it NOT work if the swap is made when the Drobo is powered off and then booted back up?

(05-15-2017 04:37 PM)Paul Wrote:  as far as i know, it should be able to assimilate the drive, when hot-swapped. (for example while the unit is on)

Thanks!

RE: Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - Paul - 05-17-2017 01:17 PM

ah hi,
based on some older firmwares/posts, it could confuse the drobo if some drives are swapped when power is off.

(usually only diskpacks should be removed or inserted in their entirety, when power is all off and cables unplugged - such as when migrating a diskpack, or testing an empty drobo)

RE: Will Drobo 5D reformat an existing NAS drive removed from a different 5D? - libsimpso - 05-30-2017 04:59 PM

Thanks for the clarification! I made the hot swap, and no problems. The drive transfer was successful.

(05-17-2017 01:17 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah hi,
based on some older firmwares/posts, it could confuse the drobo if some drives are swapped when power is off.

(usually only diskpacks should be removed or inserted in their entirety, when power is all off and cables unplugged - such as when migrating a diskpack, or testing an empty drobo)