Drobo Forums
Front cover obscures power and activity LED's on DDR3-A - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+---- Forum: GEN 3 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Thread: Front cover obscures power and activity LED's on DDR3-A (/showthread.php?tid=146652)

Front cover obscures power and activity LED's on DDR3-A - sandshark - 07-21-2016 03:49 PM

I cannot believe that the power and activity LED's are obscured by the front cover. All of the other LED's have nice clear lenses in front of them, to make them visible even from an angle, but not these two. They even dim with the others -- there being no point to it since they are covered. And the diagram on the inside of the cover shows them.

The manual warns of turning the unit off when there is activity. So I have to remove the front cover to find out? No wonder why everywhere in the manual it shows the LED's, the front cover is removed.

Obviously, some mechanical engineer goofed. But how many others noticed (like when writing the manual) and just let it go by? Will a replacement cover be made available? If I drill a couple of holes through the black backing of the cover, so I can at least see them looking straight on, will I void the warranty on the whole box?

RE: Front cover obscures power and activity LED's on DDR3-A - Paul - 07-22-2016 12:05 PM

i think its the same as the gen1 and gen2, though things did change and become visible in other models like the drobo-s-gen2 and the 5d.

common sense wouldnt think anything voided if the cover was removed, drilled, cleaned of any bits etc and then put back but if you have a drobocare package etc, then probably best to check with them first. (would not like to read a new post by another user in future who drilled through their whole drobo cover and unit by mistake, and while power was also on) Smile

RE: Front cover obscures power and activity LED's on DDR3-A - allenhuffman - 12-29-2016 11:07 AM

I guess they finally listened. The new 5C faceplate now only covers the drive LEDs, and they still show through. The power, capacity, and activity LEDs are below now.

I have side-by-side photos on my webiste, but when I try to post the link, it is flagged as spam ;-)

Search for my site, "Appleause", and "Drobo (3rd gen) to Drobo 5C, part 3" to see the side-by-side photos.

I don't really like the case changes. I preferred the older case design, and would have liked them to just let those LEDs show through, but at least now we get more info without removing the face place.