Drobo Forums
USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+---- Forum: GEN 3 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+---- Thread: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING (/showthread.php?tid=145948)

USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - alfred0 - 03-20-2016 08:17 AM

Hi,

My GEN 3 is not mounting. Apparently Its an Issue with the USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11. How can this be fixed?

Im having this issue on a new Mac as its worked fine the last 2 years on my older Mac and still works.

Thanks

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 03-21-2016 10:25 AM

hi, maybe there is a specific driver update (or optional patch) that you can get from apple which might address it?

you could also try with another usb cable going straight from drobo into the computer to see if it helps?
(edit, just saw and linking your other post alfredo)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145933

as you have already tried the cable, it may still be worth checking about an updated usb driver.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - alfred0 - 04-14-2016 08:26 AM

I used to think the issue was the USB drivers on El Capitan so I downgraded to Yosemite but that didn't work. What I've discovered is that Drobo Gen 3 will not mount when connected directly to my mac via its USB3 ports but does mount if connected via a USB Hub with its own power source. What does this mean and how can it be fixed?

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - jasonob - 04-14-2016 09:57 AM

What firmware version are you running on Gen3?

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - rjderama - 05-10-2016 11:20 PM

Hello all,

Posted this question in "General Discussions" but thought it would be better here in the Gen3 specific subform.

My Drobo has the latest firmware 3.2.2, and i 've tried to connect it to two separate computers (Macs running 10.11.4 and 10.11.1). Not mounting but it is recognized by Drobo Dashboard 2.8.1 on both machines.

Should I just keep the Drobo off until a firmware is released by Data Robotics. I don't think Apple can do anything about this. Or can they?

RJ

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 05-11-2016 01:46 PM

(am just linking to your other post rj too)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=146228

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - phantomdog - 05-13-2016 11:47 AM

Hi Everyone,
My first post, and it's comforting to know I'm not alone, but I'm so frustrated!!

Gen 3 Drobo latest firmware (3.2.2), latest Dashboard (2.8.1) running directly attached to a brand new 27" iMac running El Capitan 10.11.4.

Been having problems with having to reboot now and then to see the Drobo, but then yesterday, no Drobo?

I should clarify, the Drobo itself looks fine all the correct lights on, I can see it in Dashboard & the status is good on all disks, but its just not mounting so I can use it.

I've shut it down, rebooted the Mac, tried it through a USB3 Hub, tried a USB 2.0 cable, different USB 3.0 cable and all with the same result Sad

I'm pulling my hair out, it holds 6.1TB of my photos! I have a 2nd Drobo back up that I keep offsite, but I'm loathed to connect that up incase there is something that has caused this and that gets corrupted.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next? I'll be rocking in a corner if I can't access my photos, there are years worth in there Sad

Please help Sad
I thought some more information might help ?

I can see the Drobo in disk utility as well and it shows as not mounted, but also that its full with "Other" not photos ?

Anyway I tried mounting it, and as I had the fsck_hfs.log open at the time I saw the following happen:

/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs started at Fri May 13 19:09:18 2016
/dev/rdisk3s2: /dev/rdisk3s2: ** /dev/rdisk3s2
/dev/rdisk3s2: Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-305.10.1).
/dev/rdisk3s2: Invalid content in journal
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: The volume name is Drobo1
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking extents overflow file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking catalog file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking multi-linked files.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking catalog hierarchy.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking extended attributes file.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking volume bitmap.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Checking volume information.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Repairing volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Rechecking volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** The volume Drobo1 was repaired successfully.
/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs completed at Fri May 13 19:09:58 2016

I was all excited, thinking here we go, but nothingSad

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - dewarner - 05-13-2016 03:38 PM

(05-13-2016 11:47 AM)phantomdog Wrote:  Hi Everyone,
My first post, and it's comforting to know I'm not alone, but I'm so frustrated!!

Gen 3 Drobo latest firmware (3.2.2), latest Dashboard (2.8.1) running directly attached to a brand new 27" iMac running El Capitan 10.11.4.

Been having problems with having to reboot now and then to see the Drobo, but then yesterday, no Drobo?

I should clarify, the Drobo itself looks fine all the correct lights on, I can see it in Dashboard & the status is good on all disks, but its just not mounting so I can use it.

I've shut it down, rebooted the Mac, tried it through a USB3 Hub, tried a USB 2.0 cable, different USB 3.0 cable and all with the same result Sad

I'm pulling my hair out, it holds 6.1TB of my photos! I have a 2nd Drobo back up that I keep offsite, but I'm loathed to connect that up incase there is something that has caused this and that gets corrupted.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next? I'll be rocking in a corner if I can't access my photos, there are years worth in there Sad

Please help Sad
I thought some more information might help ?

I can see the Drobo in disk utility as well and it shows as not mounted, but also that its full with "Other" not photos ?

Anyway I tried mounting it, and as I had the fsck_hfs.log open at the time I saw the following happen:

/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs started at Fri May 13 19:09:18 2016
/dev/rdisk3s2: /dev/rdisk3s2: ** /dev/rdisk3s2
/dev/rdisk3s2: Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-305.10.1).
/dev/rdisk3s2: Invalid content in journal
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Repairing volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** Rechecking volume.
/dev/rdisk3s2: ** The volume Drobo1 was repaired successfully.
/dev/rdisk3s2: fsck_hfs completed at Fri May 13 19:09:58 2016

I was all excited, thinking here we go, but nothingSad

I have the exact same problem with my Drobo Gen 3. I have talked to Apple, and they deny it could be a hardware problem. Drobo wants the diagnostic file that Drobo Dashboard can generate to determine if its the USB 3 driver. I think that since my Drobo has dismounted several times incorrectly that the volume is corrupt, and that is why it is not mounting. Drobo suggested Disk Warrior or Data Rescue 4.

I will post what the outcome is.

Dudley Warner

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - danbodenstein - 06-04-2016 07:23 PM

I used DiskWarrior to fix my Drobo. It worked, but every 2nd or 3rd time I unmount the drive from my laptop and try to remount it, it fails to mount. I have to keep running Disk Warrior to fix it.

This is a big issue for Drobo, who deny's it is an issue with their software, since both drobo and osx say everything is fine.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - jfomelia - 07-02-2016 07:39 AM

Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

Having gotten that off my chest, this is the second time in a month this has happened. The first time I used data rescue to extract my data, formatted the drive and then put the data back on. This time I realized I have Drive Genius which has a rebuild tool. I run it, it tells me it was rebuilt successfully but it still fails to mount. When I run a repair i'm still told there is invalid content in the journal. Will DiskWarrior succeed where Drive Genius failed?

Last, is this just a Drobo issue? Do Synology or other NAS/Raid solutions have this problem? If it's just Drobo, I sell my Drobo to a Windows person and go buy something else.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - msmith2542 - 07-02-2016 03:10 PM

I seem to have a similar issue. I plugged the Drobo 3rd GEN into my late 2011 Mac running 10.11.5. The drobo appears to boot, but then all the Bay lights go off (or the top one goes red if no drives are installed). The all the capacity lights blink forever, never mounts, never seen in the Dashboard. The four drives become hot after a while but nothing else happens, never asked to format the drives etc.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - jfomelia - 07-10-2016 03:47 PM

(07-02-2016 07:39 AM)jfomelia Wrote:  Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

Having gotten that off my chest, this is the second time in a month this has happened. The first time I used data rescue to extract my data, formatted the drive and then put the data back on. This time I realized I have Drive Genius which has a rebuild tool. I run it, it tells me it was rebuilt successfully but it still fails to mount. When I run a repair i'm still told there is invalid content in the journal. Will DiskWarrior succeed where Drive Genius failed?

Last, is this just a Drobo issue? Do Synology or other NAS/Raid solutions have this problem? If it's just Drobo, I sell my Drobo to a Windows person and go buy something else.

An update to the above post, but for the second time in a month this has happened and Drobo again tells me it's not their problem, go spend $120 on disk warrior and MAYBE it will work. I'm fed up, they obviously don't care too much about Mac users. So I'll be selling my Drobo Gen 3 to a happy Windows user and I'll go buy a Synology. I'll be selling it without the drives. If someone wants to make an offer, please reply.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - yadrummer - 10-03-2016 05:48 AM

Hey guys,

I have the same exact problem here. Drobo wouldn't show up in Finder anymore. Manual mount with disk utility didn't work. I also had to run Disk Warrior to get to my file - BUT, after a secure shutdown and restart of my Mac running Mac OS Sierra I have the same issue again. Disk Warrior did help again, but guys what is going on here?

Btw, newest Firmware 3.5.2 and Drobo Dashboard 2.8.3 is installed.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Sven

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-03-2016 02:24 PM

hi yadrummer,
would you be able to please post back some more information when you get a chance, about how you usually tend to shutdown the drobo or computer?

maybe slightly changing a process could help improve thins in this regard?
for example once you get things wokring again, what happens if you exit all programs that might be using the drobo, and then to try using dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo and then to shutdown the computer.

and then after the computer and dashboard are started and running again, to then power up the drobo for usual use?

does that help prevent those issues again for you?

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - yadrummer - 10-06-2016 10:03 AM

Hi Paul,

whenever I use my Drobo 3rd Gen I turn it on after the OS is already booted. When I finishes my operations I go to Drobo Dashboard and click on the Drobo and perform the shutdown of the device.

Since 10.12. an error from Drobo Dashboard pops up saying that the volume seems to busy and it could not unmount the device. Same thing with unmounting Drobo via finder.

Btw, I just updated to firmware 3.5.3, same behavior....

I contacted Drobo Support and will send them the logfiles.
Strange is that the disk activity light in the front is always on, even thought I don't transfer any files right now.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - yadrummer - 10-06-2016 01:41 PM

I think this turns out to be a major issue for a lot of users now, as a lot of threads reporting this strange behavior.
This needs urgent attention from Drobo. I'm downgrading to 10.11 right now and reset my mac first to 10.8.5 with a clean install. Even there is a issue unmounting the drobo drive.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - yadrummer - 10-07-2016 07:28 AM

So I downgraded to 10.11 for now, with the new firmware and drobo dashboard installed everything works fine for now. I would appreciate that Drobo, Inc. would remove their large "MacOS Sierra ready" sticker on the website - as many users in this forum posted Drobo 3rd Gen is clearly not ready. Good Day!

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - jdtool - 10-07-2016 10:25 AM

(06-04-2016 07:23 PM)danbodenstein Wrote:  I used DiskWarrior to fix my Drobo. It worked, but every 2nd or 3rd time I unmount the drive from my laptop and try to remount it, it fails to mount. I have to keep running Disk Warrior to fix it.

This is a big issue for Drobo, who deny's it is an issue with their software, since both drobo and osx say everything is fine.

I had the same thing happen to me. It kept failing and finally became unusable. I had to reformat and start over. Seems the Drobo Gen 3 gets corrupted way too easy. It is a shame to loose all the data on the drive because of this quirk.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-07-2016 05:29 PM

ah sorry i missed your latest reply yadrummer,
am glad you were able to get things working again as you mentioned though

for the activity light being on (when seemingly not doing anything), maybe that could be something to do with another internal mac program accessing the drobo, (for example as far as i know, if spotlight, or something else was scanning the drobo or accessing etc, that form of activity would still trigger the activity light on the drobo unit itself) - maybe something about the mac upgrade version was scanning and subsequently locking it...

(i tend to use my drobos in a similar way as you; fire up the computer, then run dashboard and drobo, and then use dashboard to shut down when finished), and a few times in the past, if i had a locked message, i would shutdown the computer and then wait for the drobo to go into standby mode on its own. (i would still run a chkdsk next time but i usually do that often anyway)

hi jdtool have you got any more info about your drobo setup and what operating system (or upgrades/scenario) that you could post if you get a moment?

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - davidkilpatrick - 10-13-2016 02:22 PM

I have had the same problem after upgrading to Sierra, everything was normal then the G3 unmounted itself and would not allow mounting, and there's no Mount command now in the Drobo Dashboard.

Since I don't trust Drobo at all, I use mine as a manual backup and then have it backed up to an 8TB Seagate which I trust slightly more and have as my Time Machine. I reset the G3, reformatted it, and I am now restoring its contents.

I'll just to wait and see whether the full erase and reformat changes its mounting problem behaviour. If not, the Drobo can find a new home.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-14-2016 02:33 PM

hi david, hopefully that doesnt happen again to you, though if it did, maybe trying diskutility (or something equivalent in case you happen to have something like diskwarrior for example) could help as a maintenance check, that might get things accessible and mounting again for you, just in case you were not able to try that yet before the reformat.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - kencheung - 10-18-2016 09:47 PM

Sorry. I just came upon this longer thread on this problem that others have reported. I have just posted on another forum here about my experience. Thought I would repost here since it might be more appropriate. Sorry for the duplication.

Essentially the same thing just occurred to me last night.

I'm using a 3rd Gen 4-bay Drobo connected to my iMac via USB. I have been running macOS Sierra ever since it was available from Apple. Everything had been running fine with my Drobo until yesterday. I realized my Drobo wasn't showing in my Finder. Here's what I've tried so far to remount my Drobo:

I thought I would run Drobo Dashboard to check on my unit. Everything checked out. Drobo Dashboard showed the unit was running fine and its health was "Good".

All of the various display lights on the Drobo unit were lit to (the green and blue status lights) indicate the unit was fine.

Then I checked to see if I'm running the latest version of Drobo Dashboard as well as the firmware. I realized there has been a new version of both that has been released. I decided to install/update both in case this was causing my Drobo not to be accessible via Finder.

I updated both the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo firmware, rebooted the computer, and the Drobo unit was still not seen in Finder...

Once again, Drobo Dashboard shows everything is fine. The status lights in front of the Drobo shows it's fine. But the unit won't mount in Finder. I run Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, on the left sidebar, it shows a "Drobo Gen3 Media" in black and then indented but in gray, "Drobo". When I do a Disk Utility "First Aid" on "Drobo", it says "First Aid process has failed". The following lines are also displayed in the dialog box: Repairing files system. File system check exit code is 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed..."

Any idea what is going on? And what else I can try next?

Thanks for any suggestion.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-19-2016 03:13 PM

(just linking kencheungs other post)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=146976

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - lwwarpup - 10-23-2016 06:27 PM

Add me to the list of those having continual problems with the 3rd Generation 4-Bay Drobo. At least once a week mine has been unmounting and becoming unresponsive. I had the Drobo Dashboard created volume for Time Machine backups working, but now when I look in the Dashboard I see two volumes, both named "Drobo" and no "DroboTM" volume for my backups. I just replaced all the drives in it with brand new drives this week!

I'm not sure if we are all supposed to read the writing on the main support page regarding:

"The current Drobo Product line is compatible with MacOS Sierra."

Followed by:

"The current Drobo Product line includes the following products: http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/"

In which there are no 4-bay products on that linked page.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-24-2016 03:17 PM

hi lwwarpup, thats an interesting observation indeed.
i did see on the current support (non-legacy page) the 4bay still here:
http://www.drobo.com/docs/
&
http://www.drobo.com/docs/start-drobo/

but in terms of your current problem, do you happen to have any diskwarrior that you could try on your problematic diskpack if you still have it? (im just wondering in case it can help fix things like it has fixed several issues for others)

you may already know this, but please remember that all diskpack drives should only be removed (or put in) in their entirety when power is all OFF and unlplugged.

also, can i check if you have been having any issues following on from sleeping/waking up the mac, or do you usually use dashboard to essentially issue the shutdown command, before shutting down the computer?

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - lwwarpup - 10-25-2016 07:39 AM

All the replacement drives were reintroduced while the device was powered off. Just this morning it again lost the TM volume and the dashboard shows that there are two volumes, both named Drobo (no DroboTM). I only use the dashboard when initializing the drives or investigating why they are not mounting and are failing. All drives are showing green. The computer does not get shut down. I don't have Disk Warrior.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - AKThom - 10-25-2016 08:23 PM

Add me to the list of the broken hearted. I have an older iMac with only USB 2.0. The same thing has happened to me but I'm not sure if it disappeared with El Capitan or Sierra. I have a partition on the Drobo G3 for my Time Machine backup and that's still intact and mounting. But the main partition where I had a bunch of video files is not mounting. Anyone know if I can pull each drive out and access what's on it to make a copy over to another external? Mine is formatted HFS so I'm hoping not all is lost. That's why I own a Drobo. Several years ago I owned another NAS unit from another company that Apple advertises in their store. A year later the company stopped supporting said device for Mac OS. It works fine in Windows and I was able to get everything off of it before turning it into a boat anchor. Hopefully Drobo will come up with a solution.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-26-2016 01:20 PM

thanks for more info lwwarpup, (that kind of pre-empts some other tests i was going to try) but its ok, if i think of more i post back for you.

actually - can you help me understand a bit more when you get a moment, about what you meant when you said this:
"I just replaced all the drives in it with brand new drives this week"
& did you do all replacements when power was off?

were the new drives already having existing data on them, such as a complete diskpack swap? or were these replacement drives, simply put in when power was off, and then you formatted/setup a fresh new diskpack on them?

(i also just saw your other post here, linked below)
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=147059

for akthom,
pulling out a single drive to access partial contents isnt really going to work, but if you happen to have access to diskwarrior, i think it definitely worth checking things with diskwarrior on your das drobo, as it has been known to fix a lot of mac and mac drobo issues.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - lwwarpup - 10-26-2016 02:37 PM

I purchased 4 new 2TB drives (assuming the old ones were failing in some manner) and did the replacements as if you were doing standard upgrades or replacements. The Drobo was powered up and I replaced one drive at a time, waiting for the blinking green/yellow lights to go solid green, and then continuing with the next drive. Even after the new drives were installed I had one failure where the volume got corrupted again and I just reformatted the pack.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - kencheung - 10-27-2016 09:12 AM

(10-18-2016 09:47 PM)kencheung Wrote:  Sorry. I just came upon this longer thread on this problem that others have reported. I have just posted on another forum here about my experience. Thought I would repost here since it might be more appropriate. Sorry for the duplication.

Essentially the same thing just occurred to me last night.

I'm using a 3rd Gen 4-bay Drobo connected to my iMac via USB. I have been running macOS Sierra ever since it was available from Apple. Everything had been running fine with my Drobo until yesterday. I realized my Drobo wasn't showing in my Finder. Here's what I've tried so far to remount my Drobo:

I thought I would run Drobo Dashboard to check on my unit. Everything checked out. Drobo Dashboard showed the unit was running fine and its health was "Good".

All of the various display lights on the Drobo unit were lit to (the green and blue status lights) indicate the unit was fine.

Then I checked to see if I'm running the latest version of Drobo Dashboard as well as the firmware. I realized there has been a new version of both that has been released. I decided to install/update both in case this was causing my Drobo not to be accessible via Finder.

I updated both the Drobo Dashboard and Drobo firmware, rebooted the computer, and the Drobo unit was still not seen in Finder...

Once again, Drobo Dashboard shows everything is fine. The status lights in front of the Drobo shows it's fine. But the unit won't mount in Finder. I run Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window, on the left sidebar, it shows a "Drobo Gen3 Media" in black and then indented but in gray, "Drobo". When I do a Disk Utility "First Aid" on "Drobo", it says "First Aid process has failed". The following lines are also displayed in the dialog box: Repairing files system. File system check exit code is 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required. File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed..."

Any idea what is going on? And what else I can try next?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

If Mac OS Disk Utility is not able to repair you will need a stronger version of Disk Utility - Disk Warrior. - as the previous agent recommended.

Please understand, File System Corruption is not a Drobo only issue, this can happen on any Mac HFS volume, internal or external. File System Corruption is caused by:

- Unexpected Power outages

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

There is no warning for file system corruption, this is something that cannot be pre-detected. We do recommend you purchase Disk Warrior to gain access to your files. Disk Warrior works with any HFS volume and Alsoft has been in business for the last 20 years, this is a good piece of software for all Mac owners to have, this software specifically addresses File System Corruption on Mac's. I am sorry you encountered this. Drobo does not have a copy of this software that we can provide to you.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - kencheung - 10-27-2016 05:31 PM

Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

If Mac OS Disk Utility is not able to repair you will need a stronger version of Disk Utility - Disk Warrior. - as the previous agent recommended.

Please understand, File System Corruption is not a Drobo only issue, this can happen on any Mac HFS volume, internal or external. File System Corruption is caused by:

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

There is no warning for file system corruption, this is something that cannot be pre-detected. We do recommend you purchase Disk Warrior to gain access to your files. Disk Warrior works with any HFS volume and Alsoft has been in business for the last 20 years, this is a good piece of software for all Mac owners to have, this software specifically addresses File System Corruption on Mac's. I am sorry you encountered this. Drobo does not have a copy of this software that we can provide to you.

Well, I just purchased Disk Warrior. My Drobo's directory was rebuilt very easily and quickly. the whole process with Disk Warrior was extremely straightforward. Now, my Drobo is right back to working again and mounted on my desktop. However, it has cost me $133!

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-28-2016 04:49 PM

ah aside from the 133 i am very glad to hear that you got things all working again kencheung,

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - AKThom - 10-29-2016 10:07 PM

After reading through this forum about all the other people that have this same problem, I bought Disk Warrior and my problem is fixed. Mine was slightly different though as I had a partition on my Drobo G3 for TimeMachine backups and that was completely intact. it was all the stuff I'd stored on the primary partition. It took Disk Warrior about 3 minutes to fix the problem and return access to the drive. I have copied all the stuff to another external drive and once that's complete, I'm going to format the Drobo and set up a larger partition for backups.
Best wishes for satisfactory results with your's.

(03-20-2016 08:17 AM)alfred0 Wrote:  Hi,

My GEN 3 is not mounting. Apparently Its an Issue with the USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11. How can this be fixed?

Im having this issue on a new Mac as its worked fine the last 2 years on my older Mac and still works.

Thanks

Just don't buy anything by Smartstor. They abandoned Mac users several years ago on the DS4600 product even though Apple was selling them on their web site. It still works on a PC but won't mount on a Mac OS product.

(07-02-2016 07:39 AM)jfomelia Wrote:  Has anyone found a solution to this other than spending $120 on DiskWarrior? When I bought my Drobo last fall I didn't see any disclaimer warning me that if I owned a Mac I would need to purchase Disk Warrior.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - rickgarcia23 - 10-30-2016 03:18 PM

(10-27-2016 05:31 PM)kencheung Wrote:  Just an update for everyone. I've had some back and forth with Drobo support. One agent did ask if I had a copy of Disk Warrior. When I said no, he said he would see if their company could provide me with a copy. However, I received this reply from another agent today. This agent is essentially blaming the problem I am having as a Mac-issue, a file system corruption that has to do with my computer, rather than the Drobo unit...

- Improper shutdowns

- Host crashes

Well, I just purchased Disk Warrior. My Drobo's directory was rebuilt very easily and quickly. the whole process with Disk Warrior was extremely straightforward. Now, my Drobo is right back to working again and mounted on my desktop. However, it has cost me $133!

+1 had the same issue all of the sudden, had to buy Disk Warrior *****but at least i can access my stuff again. very frustrating.

do you think Drobo should pick up the tab for this?? they're aware of this issue.. the tech didn't take long to suggest i purchase Disk Warrior, and after searching online it appears to be widespread...

rick

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 10-31-2016 09:07 PM

hi rick and akthom ,im honestly glad that you were able to fix things with diskwarrior, as getting access to data is always good.

generally speaking, and as far as i know though, diskwarrior has been around for many many years, (possibly even twice as long as drobo) and the main reason it got a good reputation for fixing mac filesystem issues, was because the mac was having lots of those issues, even for other basic drives or other devices overall.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - AKThom - 11-03-2016 12:15 AM

(10-25-2016 08:23 PM)AKThom Wrote:  Add me to the list of the broken hearted. I have an older iMac with only USB 2.0. The same thing has happened to me but I'm not sure if it disappeared with El Capitan or Sierra. I have a partition on the Drobo G3 for my Time Machine backup and that's still intact and mounting. But the main partition where I had a bunch of video files is not mounting. Anyone know if I can pull each drive out and access what's on it to make a copy over to another external? Mine is formatted HFS so I'm hoping not all is lost. That's why I own a Drobo. Several years ago I owned another NAS unit from another company that Apple advertises in their store. A year later the company stopped supporting said device for Mac OS. It works fine in Windows and I was able to get everything off of it before turning it into a boat anchor. Hopefully Drobo will come up with a solution.

I broke down and purchased Disk Warrior. It fixed my problem and a week later no further instances. I will in the future use the Drobo app to shut down the Drobo Gen 3. I suspect somehow my directory structure became corrupt and disk warrior fixed that. I am moving all the data on my Drobo off to an external drive. My plan is to reformat all 4 drives, make 2 partitions and use the biggest for Time Machine. I'll see how that goes for the future. Best wishes to everyone else with this problem.

iMac 27" 2010 2.66 GHz Quadcore i5, MAC OS Sierra, and others

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - kencheung - 11-07-2016 11:53 AM

+1 had the same issue all of the sudden, had to buy Disk Warrior *****but at least i can access my stuff again. very frustrating.

do you think Drobo should pick up the tab for this?? they're aware of this issue.. the tech didn't take long to suggest i purchase Disk Warrior, and after searching online it appears to be widespread...

rick

Just an update. Diskwarrior made my Drobo accessible again (that was about a week ago). However, there are still problems with the Drobo as there has been intermittent episodes (ever since the problem cropped up) where the Drobo was once again, not seen with Finder. There also seems to be some indications of continued or recurring problems. Fortunately, Diskwarrior has worked on each occasion to get my Drobo working again. However, my distrust of it has made me go out and purchase a 4TB external HD to back up everything on the Drobo in case something happens. As well, once everything is backed up, I will erase and reformat the Drobo and move everything back onto it. Don't know if that will fix the issue.

Of course, Drobo Support blames the file/directory corruption issue on the Mac OS itself. From this forum board, it certainly seems like quite a few people have experienced this problem. But objectively, it is hard to quantify. How many people own this Drobo unit? How many use it with a Mac. And of these users, how many have encountered this problem? Is this a "widespread" problem? Hard to say.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 11-07-2016 06:45 PM

hi kencheung, do you have any more info about your computers power-settings?
for example, are there any sleep-related, or power napping/saving modes being used?

maybe a good test, for the next 3 days, could be the following?
0 - to use a direct cable connection from drobo to the computer (without any adapters etc in case you were)
1 - to use dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo at the end of your session/day
2 - to then shutdown the mac
3 - to power up the mac
4 - to power up the drobo, plus dashboard
5 - to use the computer and drobo for your session /day as usual
and then at the end of the day to do step 1 again.

if you do this for 3 days in a row, without any (computer) sleeping or closing of the lid (which can induce power saving mode, or even force quit windows on some laptops), do you still get the problems?

if you do, can you try again with a brand new replacement usb cable (if possible, and/or in another usb port just in case) to see what happens now?

while over the years, i have had some niggles with some of my drobos in some shape or form (including a failed drive), overall, when i do it like that, i never have extra issues, so id be curious to see if the problem still persists... (and then move onto more application analysis etc) - of course, things should just work smoothly at the end of the day, but please do try that out if you get a chance kencheung

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - kencheung - 11-07-2016 10:34 PM

(11-07-2016 06:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi kencheung, do you have any more info about your computers power-settings?
for example, are there any sleep-related, or power napping/saving modes being used?

maybe a good test, for the next 3 days, could be the following?
0 - to use a direct cable connection from drobo to the computer (without any adapters etc in case you were)
1 - to use dashboard to safely shutdown the drobo at the end of your session/day
2 - to then shutdown the mac
3 - to power up the mac
4 - to power up the drobo, plus dashboard
5 - to use the computer and drobo for your session /day as usual
and then at the end of the day to do step 1 again.

if you do this for 3 days in a row, without any (computer) sleeping or closing of the lid (which can induce power saving mode, or even force quit windows on some laptops), do you still get the problems?

if you do, can you try again with a brand new replacement usb cable (if possible, and/or in another usb port just in case) to see what happens now?

while over the years, i have had some niggles with some of my drobos in some shape or form (including a failed drive), overall, when i do it like that, i never have extra issues, so id be curious to see if the problem still persists... (and then move onto more application analysis etc) - of course, things should just work smoothly at the end of the day, but please do try that out if you get a chance kencheung

Paul,

I do thank you for your suggestions and ideas. I run my Drobo connected directly to my desktop iMac. I have not changed my use or set up of this computer (or the Drobo) in months, if not over the last year. I do not have "sessions" with my Drobo. My iMac goes to sleep (again no changes in the power management settings at all) when I leave it alone. I wake it up when I want to use it. I do not manually ever shut down the computer or reboot it. (Unless some software installation requires it.) I can go weeks without rebooting the iMac. The Drobo has always "just worked". I've never shut it down, turn it on or even have to use Drobo Dashboard.

So all of this new hassle tells me something is wrong. Maybe it's an unlucky "glitch" or maybe these Drobos are having a compatibility issue with OS 10.12? Drobo is "blaming" it as an OS glitch. But I wonder if there is something that has changed with the Drobo and OS compatibility that the company has not acknowledged/addressed or fixed?

Ken

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 11-09-2016 05:18 PM

thanks indeed ken,
sorry if my ideas havent found a perfect fix for you, what you say is certainly possible and perhaps any issues that people have can only help to strengthen the collaboration between all involved companies.

just as a slightly light-hearted way to help get your mind off things for a moment, i have an upcoming Mixed Martial Arts tourney to prepare for... but hey, im not worried about karate, or wingchung, or kung-fu.....

forget all those....
i know kencheung Big Grin

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - heytherestony - 12-19-2016 03:39 PM

I'm in the same boat - Drobo Gen3 which just shut itself down after a prolonged copy session (from an AirPort Extreme disk to the Drobo). Once again, the finder wouldn't access the Drobo.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 4,1 using Sierra 10.12.2 and the Drobo stats are: Dashboard, 2.8.5 and firmware 3.5.4.

This is the umpteenth time this has happened and I'm just fed up with this POS. Two three-terabyte drives and two two-terabyte drives plus the Drobo so about a grand but then ZERO peace of mind. I'd take whatever offer someone's willing to give me on this thing and I'd be happy to ship it to you by slingshot or large-caliber weapon.

Sure, I'm happy to spend another $130 but I have no problem with ANY other disk nor have I ever, yet this thing has been unreliable and cost more than all the other disks I have combined.

Am I contacting the sponsors who advertise these things? Heck yeah.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - heytherestony - 12-22-2016 08:59 AM

Incidentally I did contact several of the people who run Drobo adverts and told them about how lousy this thing has been and how the company's tech "support" basically tells you to buy an aftermarket product, cross your fingers, burn a sacrificial lamb and conduct a drum circle.

Interesting responses and all promised to relay my message to Drobo. Maybe Drobo will pay them in drums for their own drum circles.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - allenhuffman - 12-29-2016 10:50 AM

I ran two 3rd gen Drobos for the past year on my 2012 MacBook Pro. While I saw issues like this with the earlier 2nd gen (via Firewire and USB 2.0), I was not having any issues with my 3rd gen.

I was unaware of issues with USB 3.0 on the Mac.

I will say that when I previously had the "volume won't mount" issue, I bought Disk Warrior and it fixed it for me. I now won't live without DW. The previous version had issues with Drobos reporting "hardware malfunction" (DW says it's hardware; Drobo says it's DW since the Drobo is responding slower than a normal drive). The current DW 5.0 has not had any issues on the 3rd gens I had, and the new 5Cs I now use.

I strongly suggest DW, and run it regularly on all your drives, Drobo or otherwise.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - heytherestony - 02-03-2017 06:09 PM

(12-29-2016 10:50 AM)allenhuffman Wrote:  I ran two 3rd gen Drobos for the past year on my 2012 MacBook Pro. While I saw issues like this with the earlier 2nd gen (via Firewire and USB 2.0), I was not having any issues with my 3rd gen.

I was unaware of issues with USB 3.0 on the Mac.

I will say that when I previously had the "volume won't mount" issue, I bought Disk Warrior and it fixed it for me. I now won't live without DW. The previous version had issues with Drobos reporting "hardware malfunction" (DW says it's hardware; Drobo says it's DW since the Drobo is responding slower than a normal drive). The current DW 5.0 has not had any issues on the 3rd gens I had, and the new 5Cs I now use.

I strongly suggest DW, and run it regularly on all your drives, Drobo or otherwise.

I dumped the stupid thing. NO other hard drive is so unstable and unreliable that the manufacturer recommends buying a piece of software to fix the problems with their drives.

Considering how pricey these drives are when all is said and done and how the company's major selling point is piece of mind, this is a total waste of money. I have contacted every advertiser I can find who advertises Drobo and shared my horror with them plus have posted on Amazon. I also shared my honest story on a few photography groups.

Instead of being Digital Robotics DROBO should stand for Disreputable Retards. How can you make a hard drive that just "disappears" and their best efforts are to tell you to buy a piece of software not even available on the Apple Store and hope that that works.

For a few hundred bucks I can buy several external drives and create a RAID with Apple's built-in software and it doesn't just "disappear." Ever. No matter how I turn it on or off.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - rvande - 02-09-2017 05:35 PM

(03-20-2016 08:17 AM)alfred0 Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks

I have similar problem. Mine will show up on desktop. I get mac OS cannot repair this volume. I can access contents but cannot write to drive. Neither Mac disk utility or tech tool can repair it. Dashboard says all A OK.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 02-10-2017 06:24 PM

hi rvande,
i remember in the past you were able to fix an issue with tech tool, though is it possible there is a newer version from them, that could be worth trying?

in case not, if you have access to diskwarrior, that might be able to help fix the issue too if possible

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - rvande - 02-10-2017 10:56 PM

(02-10-2017 06:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi rvande,
i remember in the past you were able to fix an issue with tech tool, though is it possible there is a newer version from them, that could be worth trying?

in case not, if you have access to diskwarrior, that might be able to help fix the issue too if possible

Tech tool says It can't do anything because it is running from the deorobo. Never mind that i didn't attach the drobo until after I Launched tech tool and since I had a previous version of disk warrior (v.4) I was able to upgrade for $60. However running it on the drobo causes a kernel panic. I have uninstalled diskwarrior using appdelete and plan to reinstall. I will be receiving the diskwarrior recovery thumb drive in a few days.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - rvande - 02-11-2017 12:30 PM

I was finally able to get my Drobo repaired. After 3 Kernal Panics running DW off the main hard drive, I created a DW rescue thumb drive and started up from that. Ran program successfully and it mounted no problem when I rebooted back in to computer. Looks like DW is the answer. I wish Drobo would address this in one of the forums or even on twitter.

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - Paul - 02-13-2017 03:13 PM

ah thanks for the update rvande and am glad in the end you were able to fix and mount again

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - alfred0 - 03-13-2017 11:52 AM

the solution is on you tube folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJAcfr73gs

No need to purchase Disk Warrior! Seriously

That said, im still connected via a USB Hub with its own power source. There seems to be no fix for that I guess. : (

(02-13-2017 03:13 PM)Paul Wrote:  ah thanks for the update rvande and am glad in the end you were able to fix and mount again

RE: USB 3 Drivers on OS X 10.11 Drobo not MOUNTING - renatocoral - 05-28-2017 10:06 AM

Hi everyone,

just adding my story. I have a Drobo 5D and by the end of last year (October 2016) a while after installing Mac OS Sierra it started to become unstable and not mounting. At first it started not mounting thought USB3 then I could still access it via thundertbolt to repair.

At the time, I received the same suggestion from Drobo Support to use DiskWarrior.

Then in January 2017 it stopped working at all. The Drobo box still starts up fine and all lights are stable. Green lights for the disks and blue status lights at the bottom. Unfortunately it doesn't appear either via USB or Thunderbolt. Not even Drobo Dashboard can see it anymore.

I've tried all suggestions: using a USB HUB, using a windows machine, old version of OS X.

After talking to Drobo support it seems the only option is to by another Drobo 5D or 5Dt.

Drobo doesn't even offer any repair options so I thought having redundant disks would protect my files. Now Drobo holds my files ransom since it uses a proprietary RAID system. I have to pay another US$ 650,00 to get a new 5D and access them back. What a shame.