Drobo Forums
5D not powering on - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+---- Forum: Drobo 5D (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: 5D not powering on (/showthread.php?tid=143823)

5D not powering on - thephotoq - 04-22-2015 11:50 PM

Helping my friend with her 5D, and unfortunately it's not powering on... When the power brick is connected, the LED starts blinking.
I brought my 5D brick over hoping that would do the trick, but not luck, same problem.
The brink blinks and no lights on the DROBO.

Hope I can find some help in these forums that has been lacking from DROBO.
She's been a customer for years is on her fourth DROBO. She upgraded to the 5D because even though her last DR04DD14 (*edit, that was her 1st, her last was a DRDR3A21) was still under the extended warranty, DROBO said they no longer offered support for it.
Now her new DROBO is 2 months out of support (she thought she purchased the extension but was mistaken). Last calls to DROBO ended with "call back again, maybe the next person will help you" and an emailed reply of "no we won't support or sell you an extension of support, no exceptions."

Really disappointing. Not my first issue with DROBO, but certainly the most troubling.
I work in tech and commercial photography and I've setup dozens of DROBOs, recommended them constantly. Now I'm seriously starting to regret it.

RE: 5D not powering on - isurrender - 05-08-2015 03:17 PM

(04-22-2015 11:50 PM)thephotoq Wrote:  Helping my friend with her 5D, and unfortunately it's not powering on... When the power brick is connected, the LED starts blinking.
I brought my 5D brick over hoping that would do the trick, but not luck, same problem.
The brink blinks and no lights on the DROBO.

Hope I can find some help in these forums that has been lacking from DROBO.
She's been a customer for years is on her fourth DROBO. She upgraded to the 5D because even though her last DR04DD14 (*edit, that was her 1st, her last was a DRDR3A21) was still under the extended warranty, DROBO said they no longer offered support for it.
Now her new DROBO is 2 months out of support (she thought she purchased the extension but was mistaken). Last calls to DROBO ended with "call back again, maybe the next person will help you" and an emailed reply of "no we won't support or sell you an extension of support, no exceptions."

Really disappointing. Not my first issue with DROBO, but certainly the most troubling.
I work in tech and commercial photography and I've setup dozens of DROBOs, recommended them constantly. Now I'm seriously starting to regret it.

I'm having the exact same issue. Blinking green power supply... To my knowledge, there have been no power issues where I live or anything; it was working fine one minute, and then powered off the next. I've replaced the PSU, attempted booting the device with and w/o hard drives, removed my mSATA card, and still have no luck. Just submitted a trouble ticked today.

Hope someone comes up with a solution!

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 05-14-2015 12:26 PM

hi, here are a couple of thoughts...

when you tried using your own power brick, were you using both parts of the power supply?
(eg as far as i remember the psu comes in 2 parts, one for the wall to brick, and one for the brick to drobo) - just checking in case one of her cable parts was faulty and still used when you tried yours?

also, was the drobo still connected via usb cable when you tried the power on?
sometimes i unplug all computer connections from the drobo, before powering it on, just in case.

do you and your friend have the same make / model drobo?
maybe if theres a way to verify that you both are on a compatible firmware, there might be a way to help her by swapping the diskpacks and using your drobo (assuming the packs are fine and just her drobo)

BUT.... you would need to make sure you fully understand the disk-pack-swapping process, AND id recommend you have a verified backup of your data first, just to play safe Smile

hope this helps a bit and fingers crossed the 1st suggestion works Smile

RE: 5D not powering on - darkchil1d - 05-21-2015 04:04 AM

I have the exact same issue. Interestingly mine was pre-empted by interference in my speakers caused by the Drobo. I don't appear to be alone in this as there are two threads on the first page reporting the same issue.

When you try to RMA your Drobo it comes up as one of reasons for return on the drop down so it's an issue Drobo is certainly aware of. Luckily I'm still within the 1 year warranty period however if it's an inherent flaw with the machine it's something they need to come clean about.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 05-21-2015 01:12 PM

hi someone else had a similar (noise) related issue here too:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=143987

RE: 5D not powering on - DroboMod - 05-22-2015 09:18 AM

thephotoq - I am sorry for the delay in responding to you. If your friends Drobo is under warranty or she has DroboCare we will certainly replace the unit. Would you direct message me the case number so we may follow up. TY

RE: 5D not powering on - lichtreim - 05-24-2015 01:24 PM

Hello,
I have now exactly the same problem with my 2013 Drobo 5D.
It happens yesterday.
I'am a pro user and I hope that I get help from Drobo.
In Germany we have a 2 years warranty.

RE: 5D not powering on - dbouchon - 08-13-2015 11:21 AM

Same issue here ...

Is the only solution to replace the unit?

Was wondering if there is a fuse that can just be changed?

D.

RE: 5D not powering on - kireix - 08-28-2015 01:15 PM

I am having the exact same issue 2 months after my warranty fails of COURSE! I'm not super happy with the amount of "help" i've gotten so far.

Has anyone else with this issue tried just replacing the power brick to see if that helps?

Has anyone gotten this resolved without having to purchase a new 5D? Replacement Fuse as mentioned above?

RE: 5D not powering on - DroboMod - 08-28-2015 02:11 PM

If your Drobo 5D is not powering on, we would like to assist you. If you have created a support case please let me know the case number. If you have not created case please direct message me your email address and your full name so I can have support reach out to you.

Thank You
DroboMod

(08-13-2015 11:21 AM)dbouchon Wrote:  Same issue here ...

Is the only solution to replace the unit?

Was wondering if there is a fuse that can just be changed?

D.

RE: 5D not powering on - DroboMod - 08-28-2015 02:12 PM

If your Drobo 5D is not powering on, we would like to assist you. If you have created a support case please let me know the case number. If you have not created case please direct message me your email address and your full name so I can have support reach out to you.

Thank You
DroboMod

(08-28-2015 01:15 PM)kireix Wrote:  I am having the exact same issue 2 months after my warranty fails of COURSE! I'm not super happy with the amount of "help" i've gotten so far.

Has anyone else with this issue tried just replacing the power brick to see if that helps?

Has anyone gotten this resolved without having to purchase a new 5D? Replacement Fuse as mentioned above?

RE: 5D not powering on - scottwinters - 09-08-2015 01:52 PM

I am having the same exact problem - all worked well yesterday and today the power supply is flashing. I am about a year out of warranty. When I unplug the 5D the power supply appears normal with a solid green light.

I was told by drobo, "there is not much we can do." I even said I would gladly pay for support help by the minute or the call. Drobo said...."we can't help", go to the knowledge base - online.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 09-08-2015 03:33 PM

hi, if the lights dont flash with nothing attached, then the psu seems to be getting power from the mains, but if it then flashes when connected the drobo, something must be sensing that power can not flow through properly.

it might be that a new psu unit (both parts) could fix the problem, but im not 100% sure what types of flashing the psus have or exact definition though.
another test you could try is to keep power all off,
and to then remove all drives
and then to plug in the power to see what happens?

(please only put your drives back in WHILE power is OFF or you can lose your data)

RE: 5D not powering on - scottwinters - 09-08-2015 04:15 PM

Thanks Paul: No Go. I am going to try to locate a new psu unit tonight, as this is my main computer (edit) raid unit. I did try your suggestion of removing all drives and then plugging in the power cable to the Drobo unit. Same result, just a flashing L.E.D. light on the power supply unit.

I am puzzled and heading to the computer store to see if I can locate another power supply.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 09-09-2015 03:53 PM

ok fingers crossed.
heres a 5d pdf spec sheet link in case it helps:
http://drobo.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/downloads/products/0520-5D-DS.pdf

RE: 5D not powering on - DroboMod - 09-10-2015 10:02 AM

Thank you for letting me know. I have informed support and they will be reaching out to you.

DroboMod

(09-08-2015 01:52 PM)scottwinters Wrote:  I am having the same exact problem - all worked well yesterday and today the power supply is flashing. I am about a year out of warranty. When I unplug the 5D the power supply appears normal with a solid green light.

I was told by drobo, "there is not much we can do." I even said I would gladly pay for support help by the minute or the call. Drobo said...."we can't help", go to the knowledge base - online.

RE: 5D not powering on - nickle - 09-17-2015 07:23 PM

I have the exact same issue too. I tried a new power supply purchased from Amazon (~$60). The new power supply did not work either. The green light is solid green on the power supply unit when just plugged into the wall only but then goes to blinking green after I plug it into the back of the Drobo. I purchased my unit just over a year ago. I am very unhappy with this.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 09-18-2015 09:26 AM

hi nickle
can i check if you have tried powering all down, and removing the drives, and then trying to power up without any drives inside? what happens now?

(if you put the drives back in, please put them in while power is off, ideally in the same slots)

RE: 5D not powering on - helimat - 09-26-2015 12:11 PM

I am having the same issue. The unit will not power up, and the power supply light is solid green until I plug in the 5D, then it blinks. My unit is not even 60 days out of warranty, and by the time I paid for the 5D and the recommended mSata card, I have nearly $1000 invested in this unit before drives, and certainly expected more than 13+ months out of it.

I called the support line last week, a representative named Jeff said he was going to bring this to his supervisor, and that I would hear back right away. I never did. If my unit is dead, and Drobo will not help me and I have to replace it, I can't see myself buying another Drobo product.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 09-28-2015 10:33 AM

hi helimat, for the call maybe you could try to get in touch with jeff again in case the supervisor (or jeff) was off sick or something.

for your drobo, would you be able to try the following to see what happens?
- to power all off, and to disconnect any computer connections from the drobo
- to remove the drives from your drobo (remembering the slot positions ideally)
- to power up just the drobo (empty and disconnected)
what happens to the lights, and does drobo run through its usual startup sequence?

(if you plug the drives back in the same slots, please do so with power still OFF)

then can you try to boot up your drobo and connect to the computer as normal - what happens now?

RE: 5D not powering on - helimat - 09-30-2015 09:04 PM

Hi Paul. Thank you for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I tried those and any other trick I could find on the internet, and none work. It will not power up, the green light on the power supply is solid until I plug it into the Drobo, at which point it blinks and nothing happens regardless of how it is currently configured.

It seems quite a few others have had the same issue, from what I have read most were not fixed by replacing the power supply. I would hate to shell out another $100 for a new one, just to find out there is another issue and I am just further into the hole.

Has anyone found a resolution to the power issue? If so, was it a simple fix?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 10-01-2015 09:28 AM

ok thanks for the info,

can i check if the msata has been still inside the drobo during all of this?
maybe you could try the same process with power off as before, but this time to also remove the msata completely, just in case a faulty msata is the cause?

RE: 5D not powering on - helimat - 10-05-2015 09:34 PM

I had not considered that, thank you for the suggestion. However removing the mSata card did not make a difference.

Did anyone get theirs working again?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 10-06-2015 10:13 AM

hi, i was hoping that it was a faulty msata, but seems that it wasnt.

if i understood correctly, your drobo 5d, with current psu pack / cables, does not power on properly at all (just a green light), with or without any drives or msatas at all.

if that is the case, then it "could" be that the psu is faulty in someway (it is a long shot but did you try a different wall power socket too, just in case the wall plug has blown in some way? - that has happened to me with other plugs or adaptors)

the next suggestions are 2 ideas (and may not be ideal but just to mention them anyway for you)

1a) maybe if you happen to know of a shop or reseller near you, you could try to arrange with them to test a psu with you so that you know if it will be what you need (but if it stops working as a result of the test then you might have to buy it from them)

1b) maybe you could have access to a shop floor model at your local store and could ask them if they can let you swap in your disk pack while off, and then see if it boots up fine with your data. this way you would know that your drives and data are fine, and that you just need a replacement hardware chassis - in which case, it might be cheaper to get another drobocare and get the replacement that way, once you know what the problem is?

2) if 1a or 1b is not possible above, maybe you could try support from a mutual perspective, something where you could buy a new psu from them, but that if it didnt fix it, maybe a smaller restocking fee only applies, or if you went on to buy the full 5d replacement, maybe the psu gets removed from the cost etc.. there was talk of some different support offerings for customers and maybe some new options have emerged. i cant promise anything as all my posts to now and before this one have been me simply being me, and not an employee of drobo, though step 1a or b could be the closest or quickest way to test things if you are near a supplier though?

hope it helps a little

RE: 5D not powering on - helimat - 10-06-2015 08:54 PM

(10-06-2015 10:13 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi, i was hoping that it was a faulty msata, but seems that it wasnt.

if i understood correctly, your drobo 5d, with current psu pack / cables, does not power on properly at all (just a green light), with or without any drives or msatas at all.

That's right, however the light is solid when not plugged into the 5D, blinks when it is plugged into the 5D.

if that is the case, then it "could" be that the psu is faulty in someway (it is a long shot but did you try a different wall power socket too, just in case the wall plug has blown in some way? - that has happened to me with other plugs or adaptors)

Tried that too, no luck. Sad

the next suggestions are 2 ideas (and may not be ideal but just to mention them anyway for you)

1a) maybe if you happen to know of a shop or reseller near you, you could try to arrange with them to test a psu with you so that you know if it will be what you need (but if it stops working as a result of the test then you might have to buy it from them)

I am in a rural area, I ordered mine from Amazon.

1b) maybe you could have access to a shop floor model at your local store and could ask them if they can let you swap in your disk pack while off, and then see if it boots up fine with your data. this way you would know that your drives and data are fine, and that you just need a replacement hardware chassis - in which case, it might be cheaper to get another drobocare and get the replacement that way, once you know what the problem is?

Too late for Drobocare.

2) if 1a or 1b is not possible above, maybe you could try support from a mutual perspective, something where you could buy a new psu from them, but that if it didnt fix it, maybe a smaller restocking fee only applies, or if you went on to buy the full 5d replacement, maybe the psu gets removed from the cost etc.. there was talk of some different support offerings for customers and maybe some new options have emerged. i cant promise anything as all my posts to now and before this one have been me simply being me, and not an employee of drobo, though step 1a or b could be the closest or quickest way to test things if you are near a supplier though?

Sorry, but I can't see myself investing further in Drobo products, unless something something of significance happens soon.

hope it helps a little

I do appreciate your efforts trying to help on your own time. Thank you very much.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 10-07-2015 12:18 PM

ok no worries, please hang in there and maybe an update to this thread will help:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=144691

(they had the same kind of issue recently and were going to get a new psu for it and if it did fix it for them, it would sound promising too)

RE: 5D not powering on - helimat - 10-12-2015 10:47 AM

Update: Amazon has graciously offered to take my Drobo back in exchange for a full refund. However I had not done a backup in a little while (my bad) and need to get some photos off of the drives. What are my options? There is a Drobo FS for sale locally, I was thinking I could buy it, transfer the photos, and then sell it. But after some reading I am not sure if I can even do that. A local data recovery place is building a quote, but he said it starts in the $1000's. Anyone have some ideas?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 10-12-2015 02:27 PM

hi as the 5d is das and the fs is nas, i dont think you can migrate.
but its nice if you can get refund from amazon, and maybe buy another 5d, then you could migrate from 5d to 5d as per here:
http://www.drobo.com/resource-center/migration/

edit: though this would assume that the new chassis and psu fixes the problem.

RE: 5D not powering on - ikomrad - 10-29-2015 07:19 PM

I feel your pain, my warranty ended 5 weeks ago and my Drobo was powered off when I came home from work today. while it was working in the morning. I took all of the drives out, disconnected everything from it, and plugged the power supply in. It's the same thing. The power supply LED was solid green while unplugged from the Dropo, and starts flashing green as soon as I plug it in.

It's almost like it knows when its warranty expires, lol( laughing on the outside, crying on the inside ). I'll open a support ticket but I am not hopeful based on the information I found on the Web. I'll order a replacement for now and start the process of moving to a difference storage solution. Before the Drobo I had always used a PC file server with software raid that never failed me in 20 years. 1 year with Drobo and I get my first failure.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 10-30-2015 12:24 PM

hi, if you have a chance to try another psu with your drobo, possibly with a friend or nearby shop, then it might help confirm if it is a problem with your unit or psu. hopefully if it is the (cheaper) psu, you could then buy a replacement to fix your setup again. (please bear in mind that the psu usually comes in 2 parts, and that both parts would need to be tested)

RE: 5D not powering on - drchevalier - 11-08-2015 05:43 PM

When I went out this morning the 5D was working fine. I came home three hours later to find an error on the Mac Pro display about an inappropriate eject and the 5D dead on the desktop. My power supply shows solid green until I plug it into the 5D when it starts to flash green. I opened a ticked with Drobo support right away as I have learned the hard way that you need to do this. I got a very rapid email back telling me that the unit was not registered. I had of course registered it through the Drobo Dashboard application because that's what it asks for. I think I have copies on my Synology NAS of everything but I'm not sure because I used the Drobo 5D every day and could have missed something. I cannot move the disk pack to the 5S (which has been replaced once) and it's power supply is not suitable for the 5D. I went online and registered the unit AGAIN and now I am waiting for someone to tell me what the hell is wrong. I've had a history of power supply issues with Drobo products and because I am plainly an idiot keep buying their stuff. I have ordered a replacement power supply from Amazon since finding a Drobo part supplier in Canada is pretty ugly. Even Drobo dealers don't carry spare power supplies if their websites are to be believed. I really hope that I can get this thing running long enough to get my data off it. If it's going to cost me a replacement unit because I am out of warranty, I will go with another provider. I have five Drobo products and I'm down to two that haven't failed yet. I'm super frustrated.

RE: 5D not powering on - MarkBanjas - 11-14-2015 09:34 AM

I bought a new 5D in february, two months ago it suddenly stopped working, there was power but I couldn't get it to work.

I sent it in for repair where I bought it two months ago, but the 5D could not be fixed so I ended getting a refund. I'm done with Drobo! I'll most likely go with Synology instead.

RE: 5D not powering on - hobbym - 11-19-2015 01:37 PM

i have had the same problem with my 5d. the led on the brick just blinked and the 5d wouldn't power up. it is out of warranty, so drobo customer support wouldn't give me any advice or help in any way. i bought a new power supply and had the same results. i bought a new power cord and tried that with both power supplies. the brick still blinks green and the unit won't power up. any idea as to what the problem might be or what i might try to fix it? thanks
after reading one of the above posts, i disconnected my power supply from the drobo and the green light on the power supply came on and stayed on. like the person who previously posted, when i plugged it back into the drobo, it started flashing again, and the unit wouldn't power up. any thoughts on why this is happening and if there is a solution?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 11-20-2015 11:26 AM

hi hobbym,
i think if a new power supply and brick did not do the trick (no rhyme intended), then it is probably something wrong that happend to the actual 5d unit itself. (this seems more likely, if the psu was solid green when not plugged into the drobo, but then would just blink when plugged into it).

the only other thing that could be worth trying, is a different power socket in your building/home just in case both psu's were being plugged into a surge protector or a particular socket that was somehow damaged or limiting current in some way?
edit: another thing to try sorry, would be to power all off, and to remove any drives inside it, (remembering the diskpack order), and then to test each psu again... what happens now?

(its probably best that you keeep your diskpack drives out of the unit for now, but if you do want to put them back then please only do that when power is all off and disconnected etc)

RE: 5D not powering on - taylorehat - 11-25-2015 11:46 AM

Of course, only a couple months after the warranty expires, the unit fails, will not power on. Brick flashes green when plugged into the unit.

This seems to be a growing problem. Has anyone successfully brought the unit back to life?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 11-26-2015 11:44 AM

hi taylore did you have a similar problem as hobbym - if so, what happened if you had all power off, and removed all drives (remembering their slots) and powered up empty?

(please only put the drives back in again where there were while power is Off)

RE: 5D not powering on - taylorehat - 11-28-2015 12:48 PM

(11-26-2015 11:44 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi taylore did you have a similar problem as hobbym - if so, what happened if you had all power off, and removed all drives (remembering their slots) and powered up empty?

(please only put the drives back in again where there were while power is Off)

Yes. I removed all the drives and the msata with the same result... flashing green on the brick.

Held power button for 30s while unplugged, replugged in and still same result.

I have been in contact with support. I feel lost right now with 5+ TB of data looming.

My main concern is if I can get the unit repaired or replaced that it will try to reformat drives. Please I hope that it will not do that.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 11-30-2015 01:22 PM

hi, thanks for the info about the tests you did.

i dont think a new unit would reformat (as long as the proper disk pack swap procedure is followed), but am sure support would guide you through that. If its any consolation, i had about 3tb of data on my drobo-s when i needed a replacement, and i was able to access my data on the drives again, so please hang in there and let us know how things go.

RE: 5D not powering on - Smurffy - 12-15-2015 08:42 AM

Contact support and let them know the exact issue, they'll look into and will do what they need to do; as far as I've seen there is no way to fix it.
Also the Drobo Dashboard doesn't register the Drobo, you have to do that through the site in your account.

RE: 5D not powering on - stianrasmussen - 02-03-2016 03:45 PM

SAME PROBLEM HERE!
-----------------------
About 1 year out of warranty and Drobo 5D fails to power up.
Green light blinking on power supply.
Purchased replacement power supply but that didn't work.
----------------------

I am SO unhappy with my DROBO product.
First issue was that it would constantly unmount itself from my desktop, despite repeated firmware and software updates.. and now this. Even my cheapo drives from Best Buy don't have this problems like this thing does.

----------------------

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 02-03-2016 03:59 PM

hi stian,
can i check what happens if you try the following?

- to power all down
- to unplug the computer connection cable (eg usb) and power cable
- to remove all drives (remembering the order)
- to power up just the empty drobo on its own
(what happens now?)

if the power light is not blinking, and if drobo goes into standby mode (with an orange light)
then please power up your computer (mac?)
and to then launch dashboard
and then to plug in the usb cable (ideally)
(does dashboard recognise the drobo?)

if so, please power all down.

Important:
please make sure that the drives are only put back where they came from while power is still OFF, otherwise it can wipe the data.

what happens if you now power up again after the drives are back in place... does the green light still flash?

(if the power light always still flashes in the same way, then it could be a faulty hardware, or possibly, the new psu was faulty?)

RE: 5D not powering on - moodle - 07-27-2016 12:02 PM

I had a simillar issue, but with a Drobo S. I shut down the device one day and it didn't power on at all the next day. No LEDs, nothing. The PSU was ok.
As the device didn't have any warrantly left I opened it up. Removed the HDDs first of course. No visible faults on the capacitors, no burnt components. On the back there's a button cell battery. I removed it for 30s. After that the Drobo did come up normally and is working fine since.
As I don't own a 5D I don't know if my solution will work for you. I guess there was something wrong with settings on my device. These settings got reset by removing the battery. Like a BIOS reset :-)

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 07-28-2016 11:28 AM

thanks for your info moodle (cool name) Smile

RE: 5D not powering on - wfiveash - 09-18-2016 05:11 PM

Just found my two year old 5D in the same situation as others on this thread where it will not power on and green light on the power supply is blinking when plugged into the 5D but stays solid green when unplugged from the 5D. I tried removing all drives and the M-SSD from the bottom, no dice. Not happy.

BTW, if I order a power supply from Drobo will they accept a return if that doesn't fix my 5D?

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 09-19-2016 04:00 PM

hi wfiveash, if you got a drobocare the psu might still be covered.

if not, some companies have a small% restocking charge and might refund the rest (-postage), though you may have to check with them on a case by case basis if anything like that is possible.
(other possibilities could include a refund, if you were to follow on and buy another drobo from them, but again i dont know for sure and to be honest you would need to ask the sales? team probably)

RE: 5D not powering on - dbbotkin@yahoo.com - 03-31-2017 01:09 PM

I'll be brief. 5D w/ blinking green on brick. Bought new 5D and moved stack (on advice of tech-supp) works fine. Yay!

Next tried old (empty) 5D with NEW brick--smelled smoke--pulled plug.

Autopsy Report: burned (black) 'transistor' on underside of motherboard.

Anyone know where to get a motherboard for Drobo 5D? Have the same issue? Know how to identify the component?

My opinion: Drobo has upgraded the MB or the PS (both?) so the "flashing green" is a fail, send it back or buy new. Don't waste time troubleshooting.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 03-31-2017 04:51 PM

hi dbbotkin,
if i understood correctly, your older 5d stopped working, but you were able to successfully migrate your old diskpack, into a fully new 5d (including psu cable and psu brick)?

if that is the case, then it sounds like your old 5d is broken (and recommended to not use it) but it may be possible that your old psu brick and cable might still work.

im not sure about a new motherboard, but to play safe, i think it would be best to just use the new 5d with its new psu/brick (like you probably are currently with your diskpack), and if you wanted a 2nd working drobo, it would probably be best to buy another 5d new (with its own new psu and brick)

(some people might be more comefortable to try and fix things and solder replacement components onto the circuit board, and the board itself might have an identifier code on it, but am not an electronics expert myself - food eating expert maybe). Smile

RE: 5D not powering on - dbbotkin@yahoo.com - 04-03-2017 09:47 AM

(03-31-2017 04:51 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi dbbotkin,
if i understood correctly, your older 5d stopped working, but you were able to successfully migrate your old diskpack, into a fully new 5d (including psu cable and psu brick)?
Thanks Paul!
Yes, I moved the diskpack to a brand new Drobo 5D. (I ran the software and firmware update first as suggested by Drobo) Powered up and was working right away.

As for the 'dead' 5D, I have some experience in component-level repair for older IC's and transistors and this one is easily accessible. The problem is that it is too badly burnt to read. If someone has has a board, I'd be grateful for
a photo.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 04-03-2017 01:44 PM

ah thanks, please hang in there in case some others can help with that, though am glad you were able to access all data again with the migration Smile

RE: 5D not powering on - DougSO - 04-30-2017 11:43 PM

I'm having this same problem. I push on the power button on my 5D for a good solid second and see all the lights come on, but when I release the button they just turn off and the Drobo does not start up. Tried it a few times and no luck.

I have already replaced the power bar about a year ago and am pretty sure it is still good.

On a "hunch", I unplugged the Thunderbolt cable and then pressed the power button. The Drobo succeeds in powering up!! I then plug the Thunderbolt cable back into my running MacPro (late 2013) and it sees the drive. All is well.

I have repeated this several times and now conclude my problem is the Drobo won't boot up when it is plugged into my running MacPro. I have not tried USB 3 yet to see it is is the same. Don't have another Thunderbolt cable to try to see if mine is a bad cable.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 05-02-2017 06:55 PM

hi dougso, can i check if your thunderbolt cable is a direct cable going from the drobo to the computer?
sometimes my computer wont resume or bootup properly if any device is plugged in, even a usb cable or something non drobo, but for you it might be worth checking just in case maybe there is a security feature setting somewhere that is locking a port that was used before and not freeing it up?

i had that a few times when i was swapping devices in the same usb port, and i had to to a full cold boot of everything after 10mins of power being off, and it feed up the port properly again

if you managed to get another thunderbold cable it would be worth a try, though usb is also worth trying i think too

RE: 5D not powering on - DougSO - 05-03-2017 03:59 PM

Hi Paul,

The 5D is directly connected to the MacPro. I did try another Thunderbolt cable and had the same issue. I then removed the Thunderbolt cable and tried booting up with the USB 3 cable connected to the live MacPro. That worked just fine. Ran that for a few minutes and powered down. Removed the USB cable and attached the original Thunderbolt cable again.

Low and behold, it booted up fine. Decided maybe the Drobo needs to be "cold" for the problem to manifest. After letting it sit overnight, pressed the power button and it booted up fine. So, I have not been able to reproduce the issue after having run on the USB 3 cable. I'm wondering if the interface switch triggered a configuration "correction" somewhere and now the problem is resolved.

RE: 5D not powering on - Paul - 05-05-2017 06:18 PM

ah thanks for the update, it may have been something to do with port enumeration (am not 100% sure) but am glad if it powers on ok now for you again.